The Cohort Discovery Tool is an easy to use self-service, web-based tool used by OHSU researchers to discover patient cohorts from Epic data for preparatory to research purposes. With Cohort Discovery, investigators can rapidly search the medical records of over 2.5 million patients to obtain counts of patients meeting inclusion/exclusion criteria they specify for tasks such as feasibility studies, patient recruitment planning, and pre-IRB study planning. Cohort Discovery utilizes open-source software funded by an NIH cooperative agreement with Partners HealthCare System through the National Center for Biomedical Computing (NCBC) program called i2b2 (Informatics for Integrating Biology and the Bedside).
The tool allows users to ask research questions and get a preliminary count result. Users can select search terms from familiar taxonomies like Demographics, Diagnoses, Medications, Procedures, and Laboratories. After an initial training session which demonstrates it’s ease of use, the user can access the Cohort Discovery Tool when convenient and as needed. These queries can be saved for future use or to be shared with collaborators. Patient sets can be extracted from these saved queries with proper IRB approval.
To utilize this tool researchers must participate in a two hour training prior to gaining access. Tutorials are offered once a month. To register please refer to the User Requirements section.
- Friday, January 18, 2013 from 9:00 am to 11:00 am
- Monday, February 11, 2013 from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Tuesday, March 12, 2013 from 9:00 am to 11:00 am
- Thursday, April 18, 2013 from 9:00 am to 11:00 am
- Friday, May 17, 2013 from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, June 18, 2013 from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
To utilize this tool researchers must participate in a two hour training prior to gaining access. To register for a tutorial, send an email to OCTRI Informatics Research Support. Pre-registration at least 2 business days in advance is required to attend a Cohort Discovery training.
- Prior to registration attendees must have a current OHSU network log-in with an OHSU user ID and password and an OHSU employee ID number.
- There are 3 pre-requisite (required) trainings in Big Brain that an individual must complete prior to attending the training. The trainings that need to be completed and have a current status as "Completed" are :
- HIPAA - Privacy and You
- RCR for All
- RCR Involving Human Subjects
- Upon arrival at training, individuals will need to sign the Cohort Discovery Access Agreement.
COHORT DISCOVERY HELP SESSIONS
If you've already attended a Tutorial Session and you need help with a survey or database, drop in to a Help Session.
- Help Sessions are offered every Thursday from 12 noon to 1 p.m. in Hatfield Research Center, Room 10D03