Patient Screenings and Costs
Orthodontic faculty instructors screen patients throughout the year. There is no cost to the patient for the screening.
At the screening appointment, the position of the patient's teeth, their bite, and functional or esthetic concerns will be addressed and preliminary treatment options will be discussed. If the patient is ready to start with treatment, he/she will be scheduled for a records appointment. For the records appointment and all future appointments you or your child will be assigned to an orthodontic resident (dentist specializing in orthodontics) and a supervising faculty instructor (usually the orthodontist who conducted the screening). Once orthodontic records are obtained, more definitive treatment options and a recommended treatment plan will be developed by the orthodontic resident and instructor, and then discussed with the patient or care giver.
Please let us know if you have any questions!
Call 503 494-8921 Option 2 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The following is an overview of treatment steps, patient responsibilities and treatment fees:
Usual treatment steps
- Screening: brief examination, discussion of treatment possibilities. Fee: no charge
- Orthodontic records appointment: detailed exam, photographs, x-rays, etc.
- Fee for records: to be paid when the records’ appointment is scheduled ($340.00).
- Treatment consultation: presentation and discussion of diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Treatment: Usually requires 2 to 3 years to complete treatment.
- Appointments are often scheduled for one hour and always on the same day of the week when the supervising faculty instructor is here.
- Appointments are usually scheduled on 1 - 6 week intervals.
- Fee for treatment: payment is due at the start of treatment ($3,835.00).
- Retention: one set of retainers and retention appointments for two years are included.
With good cooperation, treatment will be completed as quickly as possible. If cooperation is poor, for example due to inadequate tooth brushing, frequent broken braces, or missed appointments, treatment will take longer and teeth may be damaged. A patient with poor cooperation may be charged additional fees and (or) dismissed from the orthodontic clinic.
Fees for comprehensive orthodontic treatment
- Records fee: $340.00
- This fee is non-refundable once the records have been made.
- Treatment fee: $3,835.00
- Total fee for records and treatment = $4,175.00.
- Payment in full is required before treatment can be started (placing braces).
- Payment plans are available through CareCredit
- We will work with your insurance company and submit the necessary claims.
- Possible costs not covered by the fee include costs for other dental services such as cleanings, extraction of teeth, replacement of missing teeth, or restoration of small or broken down teeth. Additional costs may be charged for poor patient cooperation (see above: “Patient Responsibilities”); these will be discussed in advance if problems occur.
- Prior to payment, the treatment fee may be changed without advance notice.
Thank you for considering OHSU for your orthodontic treatment needs!