Billing and Insurance
Confused about the health care billing process?
We are here to walk you through it. The first thing to figure out is if you have health insurance. Your bill will depend on whether you have insurance and what type of coverage you have.
- Our billing process
- First, OHSU will send a claim to your insurance company (including Medicare and Medicaid) for them to pay for the costs of your care. We normally receive payment within 30 days.
- You will receive an Explanation of Benefits from your insurance company. This is how they let you know how much they paid on your OHSU bill and how much you still owe.
- OHSU will send you a statement to pay your part of the bill. This statement will show how much your insurance company paid and how much you still owe. It is due when you get the statement. If you need a detailed itemized and statement, please call 503-494-8047.
- Tips before your visit
- See if you need a referral. Sometimes insurance companies require an authorization or referral before you receive health care. Check with your insurance company before your visit so that you don't have to pay the entire bill yourself.
- Make sure your information is current. Be sure to give us complete information about your primary and secondary health insurance, and bring your insurance card(s) with you to any visit. Let us know if your personal information has changed since your last visit.
- Be ready for your copayment. Your insurance copayment is due at the time of your visit. We accept debit and credit cards, but not cash or check.
If you do not have insurance, we will send you a bill for any amount that you did not pay when you received services at OHSU. To see if you qualify for state or federal medical assistance, please contact OHSU Financial and Medicaid Services at 503-494-1671 If you are unable to pay your bill in full, please call us at 503-494-8047 or 1-866-617-6855 (toll free). We have payment plans and financial assistance programs that you may qualify for.
In this guide, we use a sample OHSU bill to show you what each part means and how to understand it.
We have many ways to pay your bill:
- Online: www.ohsu.edu/guestpay
- Patient portal: OHSU MyChart
- Phone: 503-494-8047 or 1-866-617-6855 (toll-free)
- Mail to:
Patient Billing Services
P.O. Box 4674
Portland, OR 97208-4676.
We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover Card. You can also pay by check.
Please include your payment coupon with your payment.
If you are unable to pay your bill in full, please call us at 503-494-8047 or 1-866-617-6855 (toll free). We have payment plans and financial assistance programs that you may qualify for.
You will receive one bill for both hospital and doctor services.
- Your OHSU Hospital and Clinic charges are for your hospital stay or clinic visit.
- Your doctor's fees include the costs of medical or surgical care. It also includes costs for any doctors who helped review test results.
- You may also receive a separate bill from OHSU Anesthesia.
OHSU participates in the insurance plans and medical networks listed below, as well as many others. Please contact your insurance company before visiting us to make sure OHSU is part of the plan and that you know what is covered.
- First Choice Health
- Health Net
- Health Net Federal Services, LCC –TriCare Program
- Kaiser Permanente
- Moda (formerly ODS)
- Providence Health Plans
- Providence Exclusive Provider Organization (EPO)
- Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
- Samaritan Health Services
- Three Rivers Provider Network
- Tuality Health Alliance