You and Your Family
What is a POISON?
A poison is something that can be harmful if swallowed, spilled on the skin, splashed in the eyes, or inhaled. Every day we use medications, chemicals and "natural" products in and around our homes. Often these products can cause unexpected poison events.
Did You Know?
- Last year the Oregon Poison Center received over 60,000 calls about poisons.
- 73 percent of these calls were about unintentional poisonings at home.
- Over 44 percent of all poisonings happen to children under the age of 5 years.
- Older adults are more likely than others to die from poisonings.
- Our goal is to provide poison prevention information that you can use to help you and your family stay poison safe.
Poison Prevention Tips
Today Show Poison Prevention Presentation:
What to do when there is a poison emergency
Eye Health Infographic:
Each season brings certain poisons that can cause us to be less safe. Here are a few helpful hints to keep your family and friends healthy and safe.
Plant Safety Tips
Plants beautify our homes. They add color and accent to our lawns and gardens. They feed us. Yet, if not handled properly, they can become deadly poisons.
Animal Poison Safety
Our pets are quick and curious. They can quickly gain access to unsuspecting poisons that we use around the house everyday. Here a few clues concerning some poisons that could hurt your family pet.
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Line: 1-888-426-4435
Pet Poison HelpLine: 855-764-7661