NWCCU (Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities) standards require OHSU to develop core themes that are manifestations of the university's mission statement:
As part of its multifaceted public mission, OHSU strives for excellence in education, research and scholarship, clinical practice, and community service. Through its dynamic interdisciplinary environment, OHSU stimulates the spirit of inquiry, initiative, and cooperation among students, faculty and staff. Setting the example for integrity, compassion and leadership, OHSU strives to:
- Educate tomorrow's health professionals, scientists, engineers and managers in top-tier programs that prepare them for a lifetime of learning, leadership and contribution.
- Explore new basic, clinical and applied research frontiers in health and biomedical sciences, environmental and biomedical engineering and information sciences, and translate these discoveries, wherever possible, into applications in the health and commercial sectors.
- Deliver excellence in health care, emphasizing the creation and implementation of new knowledge and cutting-edge technologies.
- Lead and advocate for programs that improve health for all Oregonians, and extend OHSU's education, research and healthcare missions through community service, partnerships and outreach.
At OHSU, we believe mission fulfillment can be expressed succinctly in four core themes that reflect the mission, and the six strategic directions described in Vision 2020.
- Learning Environment
- Interprofessional Education
- Clinical and Translational Research
- Health System and Health Policy Leadership