Michael Gough, PhD
Clinical Research Assistant Professor
Head and neck MRImaging/MRSpectroscopy, breast diagnostic and interventional MRI, breast tomosynthesis and cardiac MRI.
Bachelor of Sciences at The University of Aston, Birmingham, United Kingdom with a Combine Honours degree in Human Biology and Business Administration. This degree program incorporated a placement year at ICI Pharmaceuticals, Alderley Edge, United Kingdom constructing computer programs for analysis of High-Throughput Screens.
Masters degree in Immunology at The Medical School, The University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom. PhD in Tumor Immunology at ICRF Cancer Medicine Research Institute, St James’s University Hospital, The University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom. The specific area of research involved novel cytokines and renal cancer.
Postdoctoral and subsequently Senior Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Molecular Medicine Program, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN, USA. The research projects applied advanced Gene Therapy techniques to manipulate the host immune response to tumors. Specific projects focused on controlling the manner of cell death during cytotoxic therapies to enhance immune priming, and controlling the immune cells infiltrating the tumor site to ensure effective immunotherapy of tumors.
Clinical Research Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, OHSU Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Basic Immunology Laboratory, Earle A. Chiles Research Institute, Robert W. Franz Cancer Center, Providence Portland, Medical Center.
Therapies to modulate the tumor site to enhance immune control of cancer Requirements to initiate long-lasting, effective immune responses to tumor in tumor-bearing hosts.
(2000) 'Gene expression by positive feedback activation of a cell type-specific promoter'. Vile RG, Gough MJ #09/721,391.
- (1999) 'Different approaches in the gene therapy of cancer [Review]'. Gough, MJ, Vile, RG. Trends in Exper Med. 9: 225-236.
- (1999) 'Apoptosis or necrosis for tumour immunotherapy - what’s in a name? [Review]'. Melcher, A, Gough, MJ, Todryk, S, Vile, R. J Mole Med 77: 824-33.
- (1999) 'The potential use of laser capture microdissection to selectively obtain distinct populations of cells for proteomic analysis - Preliminary findings'. Banks, RE, Dunn, MJ, Forbes, MA, Stanley, A, Pappin, D, Naven, T, Gough, MJ, Harnden, P, Selby, PJ. Electrophoresis 20: 689-700.
- (2000) 'PKC-d is an apoptotic lamin kinase'. Cross T, Griffiths G, Deacon E, Sallis R, Gough MJ, Watters D & Lord JM. Oncogene 19: 2331-2337.
- (2001) 'Macrophages orchestrate the immune response to tumor cell death'. Gough, MJ, Melcher, AA, Ahmed, A, Crittenden, MR, Riddle, DS, Linardakis, E, Ruchatz, AN, Emiliusen, LM, Vile, RG. Canc Res 61(19):7240-7.
- (2001) 'Cell death associated with genetic prodrug activation therapy of colorectal cancer'. Todryk S, Melcher A, Bottley G, Gough MJ, Vile R. Cancer Letters 174(1): 25-33.
- (2001) 'A transcriptional feedback loop for tissue specific expression of highly cytotoxic genes which incorporates an immunostimulatory component'. †Gough MJ, †Emiliusen L, Bateman A, Voellmy R, Chester J, Diaz RM & Vile R. Gene Therapy 8: 987-998.
- (2001) 'Renal carcinoma cell lines inhibit natural killer activity via the CD94 receptor molecule'. †Gough MJ, †Stanley AJ, Banks RE, Selby P & Patel PM. Cancer Immunology & Immunotherapy. 50: 260-268.
- (2002) 'Tumor antigen-specific induction of transcriptionally targeted retroviral vectors from chimeric immune receptor-modified T cells'. †Chester, J, †Ruchatz, A, Gough, MJ, Crittenden, M, Chong, H, Loic-Cosset, F, Diaz, RM, Harrington, K, Alvarez-Vallina, L, Vile, R. Nat Biotechnol 20:256-63.
- (2002) 'Dendritic cells for the immunotherapy of cancer [Review]'. Melcher, A, Bateman, A, Harrington, K, Ahmed, A, Gough, MJ, Vile, R. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 14(3):185-92.
- (2002) 'Cells as vehicles for cancer gene therapy: the missing link between targeted vectors and systemic delivery? [Review] Human Gene Therapy'. Harrington, K, Alvarez-Vallina, L, Crittenden, M, Gough, MJ, Chong, H, Diaz, RM, Vassaux, G, Lemoine, N, Vile, R. 13(11):1263-80.
- (2002) 'Enhancing the efficacy of a weak allogeneic melanoma vaccine by viral fusogenic membrane glycoprotein-mediated tumor cell-tumor cell fusion'. Linardakis, E, Bateman, A, Phan, V, Ahmed, A, Gough, MJ, Olivier, K, Kennedy, R, Errington, F, Harrington, KJ, Melcher, A, Vile, R. Canc Res 62:5495-5504.
- (2002) 'Viral fusogenic membrane glycoproteins kill solid tumor cells by non-apoptotic mechanisms which promote cross presentation of tumor antigens by dendritic cells'. Bateman, AR, Harrington, KJ, Kottke, T, Ahmed, A, Melcher, AA, Gough, MJ, Linardakis, E, Riddle, D, Dietz, A, Lohse, CM, Strome, S, Peterson, T, Simari, R, Vile, RG. Canc Res. 62(22):6566-78.
- (2003) 'Intradermal injection, as opposed to subcutaneous injection, enhances immunogenicity and suppresses tumorigenicity of tumor cells'. Bonnotte B, Gough MJ, Phan V, Ahmed A, Chong H, Martin F, Vile RG. Canc Res. 63(9):2145-9.
- (2003) 'A new genetic method to generate and isolate small, short-lived but highly potent dendritic cell-tumor cell hybrid vaccines'. Phan, V, Errington, F, Cheong, SC, Kottke, T, Gough, MJ, Altmann, S, Brandenburger, A, Emery, S, Strome, S, Bateman, A, Bonnotte, B, Melcher, A, Vile, R. Nat Med. 9(9):1215-9.
- (2003) 'Facets of heat shock protein 70 show immunotherapeutic potential [Review] Immunol'. Todryk, SM, Gough, MJ, Pockley, AG. 110(1):1-9.
- (2003) 'Pharmacologically regulated production of targeted retrovirus from T cells for systemic anti-tumor gene therapy'. †Gough, MJ, †Crittenden, MR, Chester, J, Kottke, T, Thompson, J, Ruchatz, A, Clackson, T, Luic Cosset, F, Chong, H, Diaz, R-M, Harrington, K, Alvarez Vallina, L, Vile, RG. Canc Res. 63:3173-8.
- (2003) 'Expression of Inflammatory Chemokines Combined with Local Tumor Destruction Enhances Tumor Regression and Long-Term Immunity'. Crittenden, M, Gough, MJ, Harrington, K, Olivier, K, Thompson, J, Vile, RG. Canc Res. 63:5505-12.
- (2004) 'Gene Therapy for Renal Cancer [Review] in Genetics of Renal Disease'. Gough, MJ, Vile, RG. Eds: Flinter, Maher and Saggar-Malik Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. ISBN:0-19-263146-2.
- (2004) 'A simple method to cure established tumors by inflammatory killing of normal cells'. Daniels, GA, Sanchez-Perez, L, Diaz, RM, Kottke, T, Thompson, J, Lai, M, Gough, MJ, Karim, M, Bushell, A, Chong, H, Melcher, A, Harrington, K, Vile, RG. Nat Biotech 22(9):1125-32.
- (2004) 'Induction of cell stress through gene transfer of an engineered heat shock transcription factor enhances tumor immunogenicity'. Gough, MJ, Melcher, AA, Crittenden, MR, Sanchez, L, Voellmy, R, Vile, RG. Gene Therapy 11(13): 1099-104.
- (2004) 'MIP-3? Transfection into a Rodent Tumor Cell Line Increases Intratumoral Dendritic Cell Infiltration but Enhances (Facilitates) Tumor Growth and Decreases Immunogenicity'. Bonnotte, B, Crittenden, M, Larmonier, N, Gough, MJ, Vile, RG. J Immunol 173:4929-4935.
- (2005) 'Gene therapy to manipulate effector T cell trafficking to tumors for immunotherapy'. Gough, MJ, Crittenden, MR, Thanarajasingham, U, Sanchez-Perez, L, Thompson, J, Jevremovic, D, Vile, RG. J Immunol 174:5766-73.
- (2005) 'Intratumoral Immunotherapy: strategies that use the tumor site to enhance anti-tumor immunity'[Review]. Crittenden, MR, Thanarajasingham U, Vile, RG, Gough, MJ. Immunol 114:11-22.
- (2006) 'Fusogenic membrane glycoprotein-mediated tumour cell fusion activates human dendritic cells for enhanced IL-12 production and T-cell priming'. Errington F, Jones J, Merrick A, Bateman A, Harrington K, Gough M, O’Donnell D, Selby P, Vile R, Melcher A; Gene Therapy. 13(2): 138-49.