Archie Bleyer, MD
Clinical Research Professor
Pediatrics and Pediatrics Hematology/Oncology - American Board of Pediatrics
Interest and Accomplishments:
Archie Bleyer, MD, is Medical Director, Clinical Research and Director, DEFEAT Cancer (www.defeatcancer.info), St. Charles Regional Cancer Center; Chair of the Institutional Research Board, Cascade Healthcare Community; Director of Aflac/CureSearch Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Research; and founding member of the LiveStrong Young Adult Alliance.
Dr. Bleyer chaired the Children’s Cancer Group for 10 years, then the world's largest pediatric cancer research organization, the Department and Division of Pediatrics at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, and Community Oncology in the Department and Division of Medicine at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. He was the American Cancer Society Professor of Clinical Oncology and in charge of the cancer curriculum in the University of Washington School of Medicine. During the past three decades,
Dr. Bleyer was awarded research grants totaling more than $75 million as a principal investigator from the National Institutes of Health, the American Cancer Society, and the Leukemia Society of America. His research has been published in more than 300 peer-reviewed articles, chapters, and books.His current personal clinical research is dedicated to adolescents and young adult (AYA) oncology.
- The challenge of the management of adolescents and young adults with soft tissue sarcomas.
- Thyroid cancer in adolescents and young adults.
- Pediatric-Inspired Treatment Regimens for Adolescents and Young AdultsWith Philadelphia Chromosome–Negative Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia A Review[Jama Network]
- Pegaspargase hypersensitivity reactions: intravenous infusion versus intramuscular injection –a review[TandFOnline][NCBI]
- Second Primary Malignant Neoplasms and Survival in Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Survivors[JamaNetwork][NCBI]
- Synthetic Turf Fields, Crumb Rubber, and Alleged Cancer Risk[Springer][NCBI]
- Thyroid cancer in adolescents and young adults[FutureMedicine][NCBI]
- Consensus Guideline for Use of Glucarpidase in Patients with High-Dose Methotrexate Induced Acute Kidney Injury and Delayed Methotrexate Clearance[TheOncologist][NCBI]
- Could the Rising Rates of Colorectal Cancer in AYAs Be Linked to HPV Infection?
- Dr. W. Archie Bleyer receives 2015 ASCO Special Recognition Award. Photos
- ASCO Special Award Recipients for 2015
- Into the Age of Miracles & the Greatest Story Ever Told
- Generalizability of SWOG Treatment Trial Results
- Were Our Estimates of Over diagnosis With Mammography Screening in the United States "Based on Faulty Science"?
- "Cancer in Adolescents & Young Adults (AYA): Epidemiology, Mortality, Survival, USA" - Institute of Medicine, Policy Implications, July 2013, Dr. WA Bleyer
- Dr. Bleyer is sr. author on major SEER database update on breast cancer incidence patters
- Young Adults, Cancer, Health Insurance, Socioeconomic Status, and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
- Dr. Bleyer is co-author of a population-based research analysis
- New York Time: "In Cancer Fight, Teenagers Don't Fit In"
- ASCO 2009 poster, "Turnaround in Adolescent and Young Adult (AYA) Cancer Treatment Trial
Activity and Early Evidence for Reduction in National Mortality in the United States"
- Presentation flyer: "Advances in Treatment Options for Adolescent Young Adult Population"
- Increased Vulnerability of the Spinal Cord to Radiation or Intrathecal Chemotherapy During
Adolescence: A Report From the Children's Oncology Group
- Relative Lack of Conditional Survival Improvement in Young Adults With Cancer
- Young Adults, Cancer, Health Insurance, Socioeconomic Status, and the Patient Protection.
and Affordable Care Act