"I speak from experience when I say this is a day you will remember. It is a real capstone to all the hours of education and effort over a significant portion of your lives."
Mark Richardson, MD, MBA, Dean, School of Medicine
From Dean Richardson: Congratulations Class of 2012!
Dear School of Medicine Community:
On June 4, I was honored to take part in the OHSU School of Medicine's hooding and commencement ceremony held at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall. As always, it was a day of excitement and cheer as family, friends and faculty members came together to celebrate the enormous achievements and hard work of our newest graduates.
This year I am proud to say that we awarded a record 533 degrees to 517 graduates. This includes 40 PhD degrees, two MD/PhD degrees, 121 MD degrees, nine MD/MPH degrees, 172 master's degrees, 126 graduate certificates, 35 bachelor's degrees and 28 associate's degrees. The students join a long and proud tradition dating back 125 years to 1887 when the School of Medicine was first established.
While this is a day reserved for our graduates, I can’t help but express my gratitude to our dedicated faculty members. You played an important role in helping the Class of 2012 arrive at this moment. I know they are grateful for your dedication to teaching and guidance. This is a celebration for you as well.
I am pleased to welcome the Class of 2012 into our distinguished community of men and women who share goal of improving human health. The future of health care needs great things from our graduates, and I know they are up to the challenge.
Mark Richardson, MD, MBA
Dean, School of Medicine
Missed the ceremony?
"Graduation is an exciting day as our PhD and Masters degree students embark upon their careers as independent scientists each committed to improving world health."
Allison Fryer, PhD, Associate Dean for Graduate Studies
OHSU Media Release: Graduation ceremonies to honor new health care professionals
OHSU's School of Medicine will have 517 graduates this year – a record. Of those, 121 students will be awarded a Doctor of Medicine degree, making it one of the largest M.D. classes in the past 10 years.
Seventy-two students are graduating from OHSU's graduate program in biomedical informatics, a burgeoning area brought about, in part, by rapid advances in information technology and the landscape of health care reform.
And this year, OHSU's new Master of Business Administration in Healthcare Management program will graduate its first group of students — 47 in all. The program is jointly offered by the OHSU School of Medicine's Division of Management and Portland State University's School of Business Administration. The degree will be jointly awarded by OHSU and PSU.
This media release went out to all Oregon reporters.
About Our StudentsAll of our students are exceptional. Learn more about a few of our graduates to see why we think so!
Profiles & Stories
- Future of science awaits newest ARCS scholars »
- Former Naval Academy graduate will train in general surgery »
- PhD student fascinated by neuroimmunology »
- Island of Saipan native sets example for family, looks to give back to community »
- From 'rock star' to physician assistant, student takes not-so-traditional path »
- Having once taught at an orphanage in Thailand, graduate will now pursue a career in family medicine »
- Once a motion picture trailer editor, graduate to pursue a career in psychiatry »
- OHSU employee works full-time, gets Healthcare Management Certificate »
- Family experience offers student a strong compassion to connect with patients »
- Former combat medic is member of inaugural MBA in health care cohort »
- Swindells Family Scholar Award recipient will train in obstetrics and gynecology »
- Katrina, military experience drives student toward family medicine »
- Healthcare MBA program graduates first cohort »
- Couple meet at OHSU, Match together, now off to Michigan »
"Be proud of all your accomplishments. You've reached a major milestone in your professional lives—and now, as you begin an exciting new journey, follow your heart and your passion to provide for others."
Molly Osborne, MD, PhD, Associate Dean for Student Affairs,
Interim Associate Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education
By the Numbers
"Don't neglect your loved ones. Family and friends are the key to staying sane in the often insane arena of science. No one here has time, so you will just have to make time."
Nicole Paulk, PhD, Graduate Student Speaker
In the News
Medical student Kelly Griffith-Bauer's incredible story was featured on
Fox 12 Oregon. Read story and watch
video here »
More on Dr. Griffith-Bauer
2012 School of Medicine Awards
At the end of the academic year, the School of Medicine recognizes students and faculty for academic and teaching excellence, or outstanding contributions to their field.
The Class of 2012 Commencement Program lists awardees who were recognized at the June 4 ceremony. A select few and additional awards not mentioned in the program are featured below:
Awards & Recipients
- The Edward S. Hayes Gold-Headed Cane Award was presented to Lori Lyn Cardwell, MD
- The Leonard Tow Award for Humanism in Medicine (Student) was presented to Daniel Knoepflmacher, MD. The Leonard Tow Award for Humanism in Medicine (Faculty) was presented to Meg O'Reilly, MD, MPH, Assistant Professor, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- The John A. Resko Faculty Research and Mentoring Achievement Awards were presented to Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Award – Kinrin Yamanaka, PhD, Department of Physiology & Pharmacology; Faculty Excellence in Research and Mentoring Award – Laurence Trussel, PhD, Professor, Department of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery, Neuroscience Graduate Program
- The Dean's Award for Exemplary Contributions to the School of Medicine was presented to: Gabriel Kristian Andeen, MD
- Continuing Medical Education Outstanding Faculty Awards were presented to Ali Olyaei, PharmD and Y Pritham Raj, MD
- The OHSU Faculty Senate Distinguished Faculty Awards for the School of Medicine recognized Jessica Flynn, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Family Medicine
- Read the 2012 Commencement Guide for more awards, including the MD Student Achievement Awards, the Outstanding Master's Thesis Award and Faculty Excellence Awards!
"You have incredible integrity, compassion, and professionalism. I am so proud to stand before you to see what amazing individuals and physicians you have become."
Mathew Snodgrass, MD, Medical Student Speaker