The Next Five Years Series
Read the entire series or download individual topics below:
A Vision for the Future
As the state of Oregon’s only public health and research university, OHSU is a unique resource for Oregonians and the place where healing, teaching and discovery come together. We train the health care professionals that Oregon communities need. We provide care to those with the most difficult health challenges. And our faculty works every day to come up with new discoveries that help save lives.
“The Next Five Years” series takes a hard look at how profound changes in the economy — and in health care in particular — may affect OHSU in the coming years. The university is in a strong position, but our careful planning and good stewardship are necessary factors in our continued success.
A look over the horizon
With the world changing rapidly around us, OHSU created a strategic plan in 2007 to look over the horizon and establish a road map for 2020. OHSU’s strategic plan, Vision 2020, sets a big goal for how to best serve Oregonians. We want to help make Oregon a national leader in health and science innovation to improve the health and well-being of all Oregonians. It’s a big goal – but we think we can get there. Here are a few of the steps along the way:
- Help meet workforce shortages in the health and science professions so that Oregonians can find a healthcare provider when they need one.
- Through leading edge research made possible by the Oregon Opportunity, find the next generation of treatments and cures to improve the quality of healthcare that Oregonians receive.
- Help develop policy and care delivery solutions that make it possible for all Oregonians to have access to high-quality healthcare.
- Reinvent health education so that health care providers, scientists and engineers train together to better prepare them to work together in the community.
- Partner with communities, industry, other colleges and universities, and private citizens to develop community-based solutions to community problems.