After the completion of his Colon and Rectal Surgery fellowship at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University in 2005, Dr. Lu joined the Division of Gastrointestinal and General Surgery at OHSU, and was appointed Assistant Professor of Surgery in 2005. He serves concurrently as a Consulting Attending Physician at the VA Hospital. During his tenure, he has completed the Certificate in Human Investigations Program in 2008, and was promoted to Associate Professor of Surgery in 2011.
Dr. Lu is deeply involved in the education of colorectal surgical fellows, residents, and medical students, as well as in the continuing education of colon and rectal and general surgeons. Institutionally, he has served as the Program Director for the OHSU Colon and Rectal Surgery Fellowship since 2009, and serves on several education and diversity committees, including the School of Medicine Diversity Task Force, Promotion and Tenure Committee, Women in Academic Medicine, and is the First Chair on the Committee for Diversity Affairs. Nationally, he is involved with the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, serving on the Self-Assessment, Continuing Medical Education, and Program Committees. In addition, he is a Group Leader for question writing for Board examinations for ASCRS, serves as an Examination Consultant to the Certifying Committee for the American Board of Surgery, and is an Associate Examiner for the Oral Examination Committee for the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. Dr. Lu is also a reviewer for several surgical publications, including World Journal of Surgery, Annals of Surgery, Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, British Journal of Surgery, Annals of Surgical Oncology, and Surgical Innovation. He is sought after, institutionally, locally, and nationally to lecture on colon and rectal cancer and common benign colorectal and anorectal diseases.Read more
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, Boston Massachusetts 1993
- General Surgery, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO, 1997-2004
- Colon and rectal surgery, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO, 2004-2005
- American Board of Surgery, 2005; Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2006
Memberships and associations
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons, 2007-Present
- "Variation in the Use of Chemoradiotherapy for Stage II and III Anal Cancer : Analysis of the National Cancer Data Base." Annals of Surgical Oncology In: , 21.07.2016, p. 1-7.
- "Nomogram for Predicting Overall Survival and Salvage Abdominoperineal Resection for Patients with Anal Cancer." Diseases of the Colon and Rectum In: , Vol. 59, No. 1, 01.01.2016, p. 1-7.
- "HIV positivity and anal cancer outcomes : A single-center experience." American Journal of Surgery In: , 30.10.2015.
- "Psychiatric Illness is a Disparity in the Surgical Management of Rectal Cancer." Annals of Surgical Oncology In: , 11.09.2015.
- "Trends in the Surgical Management of Crohn’s Disease." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , Vol. 19, No. 10, 19.08.2015, p. 1862-1868.
- "Strictureplasty for Treatment of Crohn’s Disease : an ACS-NSQIP Database Analysis." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , Vol. 19, No. 5, 01.05.2015, p. 905-910.
- "Chemoradiotherapy with a radiation boost for anal cancer decreases the risk for salvage abdominoperineal resection : analysis from the national cancer data base." Annals of Surgical Oncology In: , Vol. 21, No. 11, 01.10.2014, p. 3616-3620.
- "Initial surgical management of ulcerative colitis in the biologic era." Diseases of the Colon and Rectum In: , Vol. 57, No. 12, 2014, p. 1358-1363.
- "Increasing the number of lymph nodes examined after colectomy does not improve colon cancer staging." Journal of the American College of Surgeons In: , Vol. 218, No. 5, 2014, p. 1004-1011.
- "Avirtual reality endoscopic simulator augments general surgery resident cancer education as measured by performance improvement." Journal of Cancer Education In: , Vol. 29, No. 2, 2014, p. 333-336.
- "Laparoscopic colectomy reduces morbidity and mortality in obese patients." Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques In: , Vol. 27, No. 8, 08.2013, p. 2907-2910.
- "Surgeon leadership enables development of a colorectal cancer biorepository." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 205, No. 5, 05.2013, p. 563-565.
- "Stage III & IV colon and rectal cancers share a similar genetic profile : A review of the Oregon Colorectal Cancer Registry." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 205, No. 5, 05.2013, p. 608-612.
- "Surgical Management of Crohn's Disease." Surgical Clinics of North America In: , Vol. 93, No. 1, 02.2013, p. 167-185.
- "Effect of Surgical Approach on 30-Day Mortality and Morbidity After Elective Colectomy : A NSQIP Study." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , Vol. 16, No. 6, 06.2012, p. 1212-1217.
- "Use and outcomes of emergent laparoscopic resection for acute diverticulitis." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 203, No. 5, 05.2012, p. 639-643.
- "Utilization of laparoscopic colectomy in the united states before and after the clinical outcomes of surgical therapy study group trial." Annals of Surgery In: , Vol. 254, No. 2, 08.2011, p. 281-288.
- "Specialized practice reduces inpatient mortality, length of stay, and cost in the care of colorectal patients." Diseases of the Colon and Rectum In: , Vol. 54, No. 7, 07.2011, p. 780-786.
- "Laparoscopic proctectomy after neoadjuvant therapy : Safety and long-term follow-up." Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques In: , Vol. 25, No. 6, 06.2011, p. 1902-1906.
- "Dramatic decreases in mortality from laparoscopic colon resections based on data from the nationwide inpatient sample." Archives of Surgery In: , Vol. 146, No. 5, 05.2011, p. 594-599.
- "Laparoscopic converted to open colectomy : Predictors and outcomes from the Nationwide Inpatient Sample." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 201, No. 5, 05.2011, p. 630-634.
- "Management of colonic injuries in the combat theater." Diseases of the Colon and Rectum In: , Vol. 53, No. 5, 05.2010, p. 728-734.
- "Anal Fissure." Surgical Clinics of North America In: , Vol. 90, No. 1, 02.2010, p. 33-44.
- "Ethnicity Influences Lymph Node Resection in Colon Cancer." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , Vol. 14, No. 11, 2010, p. 1752-1757.
- "A unique case of Hajdu-Cheney syndrome and squamous cell carcinoma of the anus." Colorectal Disease In: , Vol. 11, No. 5, 2009, p. 535-536.
- "Steroids and one-stage restorative proctocolectomy in ulcerative colitis : Unnatural bedfellows." World Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 31, No. 3, 03.2007, p. 530-531.
- "The genetics of inflammatory bowel disease." Seminars in Colon and Rectal Surgery In: , Vol. 15, No. 3, 09.2005, p. 171-177.
- "Concomitant allorecognition of mismatched donor HLA class I- and class II- derived peptides in pediatric lung transplant recipients with bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome." Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation In: , Vol. 22, No. 1, 01.01.2003, p. 35-43.
- "Interleukin-6 and interferon-γ gene polymorphisms in the development of bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome after lung transplantation." Transplantation In: , Vol. 74, No. 9, 15.11.2002, p. 1297-1302.
- "In vitro T cell proliferation from kidney allograft biopsies with unremarkable pathology : New strategies for an old problem." Transplantation In: , Vol. 73, No. 1, 15.01.2002, p. 142-145.