Temporary and Contingent Worker Safety and Health
Best Practices, Challenges and Solutions
Presented by the Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences and the Oregon Healthy Workforce Center.
Thursday, May 28, 2015 9 AM to 4 PM
Holiday Inn Portland South Wilsonville, 25425 SW 95th Avenue, Wilsonville, OR
Access recorded webinar presentations and handouts below.
Goal: Address safety and health provisions for temporary and contingent workers. Address best practices, as issued from OSHA and shared by staffing agencies, health and safety professionals, and employers. Discuss problems, limitations and strategies to provide all workers safe and healthy work places.
9:10- 9:30 Introduction to Temporary Workers and OSHA
Michael Wood, CSP, Administrator, Oregon OSHA
9:30- 10:15 Temporary Worker Injuries and Fatalities: Causes and prevention; Illa Gilbert Jones, MS, CIH & Ryan Olson, PhD Oregon FACE Program, Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences
12:45- 3:30 Best Practices & Challenges Panel/Round-table discussions/Large Group capture & discuss; Facilitated by Brad Wipfli, Ph.D., Staff Scientist, Occupational Health Sciences, OHSU
WATCH WEBINAR DISCUSSION WRAP-UP
- 12:45 - 1:00 pm: An Employer Perspective; Scott Pierson, Chief Operating Officer, Wood Castle Furniture
- 1:00 - 2:00 pm: Orientation, Training, Safety Meetings and Language; Mark Frisco, Field Safety Specialist, TrueBlue Inc.; Paul Thielemann, Branch Manger, NW Staffing; Annalise Burrington, Branch Manager, Seletemp
WATCH WEBINAR AFTERNOON PART 1
VIEW HANDOUTS: Paul Thielemann and Annalise Burrington (none for Mark Frisco)
- 2:15 - 3:15 pm: What to look for in a staffing agency: Kristin McConnell, Branch Manager, NW Staffing & Injuries & return to work: Dede Montgomery, Occupational Health Sciences
WATCH WEBINAR AFTERNOON PART 2
VIEW HANDOUTS: Kristin McConnell and Dede Montgomery
- 3:15 - 3:30 pm: Facilitated report out discussion groups and questions.
Other resources you may find useful:
- Tips & Ideas shared at the symposium.
- Pictures from the event on our Facebook page.
- OSHA/NIOSH Recommended Practices for Protecting Temporary Workers
- OSHA Webpage: Protecting Temporary Workers
- Oregon OSHA Compliance Directive (A-246): Temporary Service Providers and Leasing Companies