Listed below are several important accomplishments since the Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences began in 1988 (initially as CROET), and further below are a larger number of more detailed "highlights" from the annual reports beginning in 2001. The benefit of complementary basic and applied science has been an underlying tenet of Occupational Health Sciences research. For example, our basic laboratory assessments of DNA damage induced by sunlight have led to laboratory-based techniques for repairing sunlight-induced DNA damage, proving the concept. The ultimate target is a clinical trial of a new therapy for the repair of DNA damage that may lead to skin cancer, thus preventing the cancer from developing in the first place. Thus, Occupational Health Sciences performs research at many levels including basic laboratory science, human laboratory science, workplace interventions and outreach plus education.
The Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences research/program areas include:
- Total Worker Health
- Sleep and Shiftwork: Impact on Health, Safety, and Productivity
- Exposure: Consequences and Prevention
- Injury and Recovery of Nerves and Muscles
- Outreach, Education, Dissemination
The Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences research/program areas include:
Established a widely-respected capacity to conduct Intervention Research that interacts with partners at all levels in Oregon. This capacity includes satisfying research requests from state (e.g., Management Labor Advisory Committee/MLAC, Workers' Compensation Division, Oregon OSHA) individual businesses and labor organizations, and high profile federally funded centers/programs (e.g., Oregon Healthy Workforce Center, Let's Get Healthy, Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation-FACE). Our research capacity encompasses other Oregon partners at OHSU, PSU, UO/LERC, OSU/School of Public Health, Kaiser Center for Health Research, Oregon Health Authority, St. Charles of Bend, and numerous other small colleges/universities through the Institute's summer intern program.
- Providing leadership in the creation of evidence-based "Total Worker Health" interventions that integrate health promotion with injury prevention. Recognizing that a healthy workforce is both safe and productive, Occupational Health Sciences showed national leadership by the creation of the SHIFT intervention for the at-risk population of truck drivers, which is the only published intervention to date (as of 2012) to improve 'Total Worker Health'. SHIFT is a team weight loss competition supported by training and motivational interviewing. Over a 6 month period truck drivers significantly reduced body weight (by a mean of 7.8 pounds) and made medium to large (d = .49 - .88; >.80 is large) reductions in the consumption of sugary drinks and snacks, fast food, dietary fat, as well as hard braking events (recorded by truck engine; associated with fatigue and at-risk driving). The study won the intervention paper competition at Work, Stress, and Health (APA/NIOSH, 2009), and led to an R01 grant from NHLBI ($2.8 M) to conduct a randomized controlled trial of the intervention program.
- Developed the Let's Get Healthy! interactive education and research exhibit in which people learn about research and the quality of their own lifestyle such as diet and exercise in feedback with recommendations. Sought by communities throughout Oregon as a health fair learning experience (43 fairs through 2012), the program has been adopted by St. Charles of Bend for their staff and is being integrated into Oregon school programs (e.g., St. Helens, West Linn, Wilsonville) to help their students, the workforce of the future, meet state health education standards. There have been 10,877 participants (through 2012), the program has loaned kits to 36 organizations, and there are 76 organizations in the queue who have requested a Let's Get Healthy exhibit in the future. The program has been funded by 23 grants, with total funding of $2.2 M. Let's Get Healthy selected by NIH for US Capitol Hill exhibits in 2011 and 2012.
- Invention of cTRAIN computer-based training software that is effective in teaching people with limited education (0 years) to advanced degrees for improving safety knowledge and skills. cTRAIN software is being disseminated along with an editing program so organizations can create their own training in this effective computer- and web-delivered format. Developed a commercial dissemination model to make the software and grant-supported training titles available through a company that now uses revenue (~$400K in awards) to evolve the software in the fast-developing PC and web delivery environments. The software has been a key component (well-reviewed) and funded by 1 OR OSHA grant, 10 multi-year federal grants, 1 Center grant, and 3 contracts to develop training (total awards of ~$6 M). This has led to the development of 20 different training titles completed by over 1200 trainees from uneducated field workers to executive managers in 15 industry sectors, all leading to learning (p<.05) and large effect sizes (d = 0.9 – 3.5); significant behavior improvement (e.g., safer pruning, improved floor cleanup to avoid slips; healthy food choices) was also recorded in some studies. Titles have been adopted by the Painter's District Council Training facility in Portland to train all painter apprentices (for ~10 years) and drywall finisher apprentices.
- Identified changes in intracellular calcium and action potential firing that contribute to synchronizing the internal circadian clock to the environmental day-night cycle. Circadian and sleep cycle disruption is a major occupational hazard for the 50% of Americans who report daytime sleepiness. Abnormal sleep increases the risks for workplace accidents and chronic diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease and obesity. In order to devise better treatments for circadian-based sleep, and metabolic disorders, current research is focused on characterizing the molecular mechanisms underlying the generation and timing of circadian rhythms.
- Identified genetic mechanisms by which disruption of the internal circadian clock accelerates neurodegeneration and shortens life span (in flies). Internal circadian clocks generate rhythms in physiological and behavioral processes. Disruption of circadian rhythms significantly reduces the lifespan of flies and can accelerate the onset of brain pathologies. Such data may have relevance to the long-term adverse health effects of shift work in humans, as internal circadian rhythmicity becomes disrupted by shift work.
- Identified probable mechanisms underlying the fact that many diseases are worse at different times of day and night (e.g., heart attacks and stroke occur most frequently in the morning, and asthma is generally worst at night). Occupational Health Sciences researchers, along with collaborators at Harvard Medical School in Boston, have performed pioneer studies to examine how daily patterns of disease severity change across the day and night – in relation to the timing of the internal circadian clock and the ongoing stresses and behaviors that recur on a daily basis. Recent findings demonstrate the importance of the internal circadian clock on most aspects of cardiovascular control including blood clotting, blood pressure regulation and heart rate control, pulmonary function, bronchoconstriction in asthma, and even appetite regulation. Furthermore, misalignment of the circadian and behavioral cycles – as occurs with shift work was shown to lead to impairment of glucose regulation, possibly explaining the increased risk of obesity and diabetes in shift workers. The ultimate goal is to understand the biological basis behind these time-variant changes in disease severity in order to provide better therapy (e.g. appropriately timed medication to target specific phases of the body clock or to coincide with specific behaviors that cause vulnerability, such as exercise).
- Developed patented technologies for repairing sunlight-induced DNA damage for the prevention of skin cancer. This is especially important for outdoor workers in Oregon since the State has one of the highest rates of melanoma skin cancer in the nation (ranking 8th in 2003) and a higher melanoma mortality rate than the national average (ranking 9th in 2004).
- Developed a comprehensive assessment program to identify and alleviate the toxic effects of cellular exposure to formaldehyde and similar compounds in order to prevent some types of cancers. Since Oregon had the 4th largest industrial release of formaldehyde in the nation in 2002 (latest data available), this is important to many workers and families living near those release points.
- Discovered a direct link between DNA damage associated with oxidative stress and obesity that suggests mechanisms to prevent age and diet-related illness. This discovery is significant since over 28% of Oregonians are obese and this condition leads to numerous health-related problems including diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Discovered that ionizing radiation induces complex types of DNA alterations including chromosome breakage and mutations. These observations could impact the incidence of leukemia and lung cancers including the estimated 350 Oregonians that get lung cancer due to radon exposure.
- Developed a new method to identify environmental toxins that can lead to gene silencing, a process in which an actively expressed gene unexpectedly turns off like a light bulb going from the on to the off position. Understanding these silencing events may give insight into mechanisms of cancer induction including breast cancer which affects approximately 5000 Oregonians and their families each year.
- Developed a rapid state-of-the-art drug discovery assay that has been used to screen over 400,000 bioactive molecules for inhibition of DNA replication. This represents the initial step in drug development that may improve therapeutic outcomes in a variety of cancer patients including those with gliomas that are among the most common form of brain cancer and generally regarded as incurable.
- Served on the advisory council for the National Institutes of Environmental Health Sciences through a multi-year commitment to provide leadership on policy decisions that guide national programs. This service provides important opportunities to represent environmental issues that are important for the health of Oregonians.
- Identified proteins that coordinate nerve growth and muscle innervation during normal development and following injury. By determining the mechanisms of action of these proteins, we can develop new strategies to speed recovery, or even inhibit damage, from neuromuscular injuries, the major cause of workers' compensation costs in Oregon.
- Discovered that mutations in the protein Neuropathy Target Esterase (NTE) increase the susceptibility to workplace neurotoxicants, including pesticides, by interfering with cell membrane composition and cell signaling leading to neurodegeneration or early aging.
- Discovered a compound that blocks channels in the brain that can provide a novel way to reduce the impact of Alzheimer's Disease. Alzheimer's Disease will affect 125,000 Oregonians by 2025.
- Best practices for pain management in patients with lower back pain. Researchers associated with the Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences have documented the prevalence and comparative effectiveness of high-dose opioid use compared to other techniques used in the management of lower back pain. Lower back pain is one of the greatest expenses to workers compensation claims in Oregon.
Information & outreach serves the our mission by interfacing with our Oregon stakeholders to provide opportunities for education, translation of the Institute's research and individual consultation.
Resources available to Oregonians: Scientific expertise; webinars; OccHealthSci resource directory, "Oregon & the Workplace" blog; social media; newsletters. Through these means we have provided the following programs and accomplishments (through 2014):
- Toxicology Information Center has provided individualized no-cost consultation on occupational safety and health on a free-to-Oregon call-in phone line (150-250 calls answered per year for over 15 years).
- Health & Safety Symposia provided in Oregon (2 per year for 22 years).
- Let's Get Healthy! Lending Library wellness training and specific feedback on risks and healthier lifestyles that has been used in 20 Oregon communities is available for broad dissemination in Oregon workplaces.
- Summer Internships for College Students supported 10-15 interns/year for 22 years in the largest OHSU summer internship program and perhaps largest in the state.
- Exhibits and Presentations at all OR OSHA conferences + regional meetings for over 12 years.
- Collaborations with government agencies, universities and associations throughout Oregon and the Northwest.
- Investigation and Outreach on Emerging Issues led to the discovery of a hair smoothing product with undisclosed high levels of formaldehyde that was reformulated for use in the US and banned in some countries due to our initial discovery.
2014 HighlightsWe receive base operations funding from the Oregon Workers' Compensation System, and we leverage these funds to obtain federal and other research dollars. For every dollar invested by the State's Workers' Benefit Fund in 2014, our scientists brought an average $1.60 of grant funding into the Oregon economy. Federal dollars for research in Oregon have a significant positive impact on the state's economy. Expenditures for goods and services, as well as the salaries of scientific and support personnel, produce a multiplier effect on the state's economy. In addition, research coming out of the Institute can lead to new technologies and jobs as spin-offs from productive research.
- Anger WK, Boyes WK. A brief history of INA and ICOH SCNP: International Neurotoxicology Association and International Congress on Occupational Health Scientific Committee on Neurotoxicology and Psychophysiology. Neurotoxicology. 2012 Aug; 33(4): 631-40.
- Bolkan BJ, Triphan T, Kretzschmar D. β-secretase cleavage of the fly amyloid precursor protein is required for glial survival. J Neurosci. 2012 Nov 14; 32(46): 16181-92.
- Bowman GL, Silbert LC, Howieson D, Dodge HH, Traber MG, Frei B, Kaye JA, Shannon J, Quinn JF. Nutrient biomarker patterns, cognitive function, and MRI measures of brain aging. Neurology. 2012 Jan 24; 78(4): 241-9.
- Buxton OM, Cain SW, O’Connor SP, Porter JH, Duffy JF, Wang W, Czeisler CA, Shea SA. Adverse metabolic consequences in humans of prolonged sleep restriction combined with circadian disruption. Sci Transl Med. 2012 Apr 11; 4(129): 129ra43.
- Carney PA, Hamada JL, Rdesinski R, Sprager L, Nichols KR, Liu BY, Pelayo J, Sanchez MA, Shannon J. Impact of a community gardening project on vegetable intake, food security and family relationships: a community-based participatory research study. J Community Health. 2012 Aug; 37(4): 874-81.
- Chan JM, Harrison SL, Bauer SR, Daniels NA, Wilt TJ, Shannon J, Bauer DC. Statin use and risk of prostate cancer in the prospective Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2012 Aug 9.
- Chary P, Beard WA, Wilson SH, Lloyd RS. DNA polymerase β gap-filling translesion DNA synthesis. Chem Res Toxicol. 2012 Dec 17; 25(12): 2744-54.
- Chen J, Anger WK, Boyes WK, Fox DA, Kim E, Li A, Lorens J, Luchinni R, Zheng W (Editors) Neurotoxicity and Neurodegeneration: Local Effect and Global Impact. NeuroToxicology. 2012, 33: 621-946.
- Christov PP, Yamanaka K, Choi JY, Takata K, Wood RD, Guengerich FP, Lloyd RS, Rizzo CJ. Replication of the 2,6-diamino-4-hydroxy-N(5)-(methyl)-formamidopyrimidine (MeFapy-dGuo) adduct by eukaryotic DNA polymerases. Chem Res Toxicol. 2012 Aug 20; 25(8): 1652-61.
- Cook M, Mani P, Wentzell JS, Kretzschmar D. Increased RhoA prenylation in the loechrig (loe) mutant leads to progressive neurodegeneration. PLoS One. 2012; 7(9): e44440.
- Dodson ML, Walker RC, Lloyd RS. Carbinolamine formation and dehydration in a DNA repair enzyme active site. PLoS One. 2012; 7(2): e31377.
- Dutta S, McFerrin J, Patton BL, Kretzschmar D. Prechordate conservation of glia-type specific expression and function of Neuropathy Target Esterase. Mol Biol Cell. 2012: 23(suppl): 2840.
- Eastwood E, Allen CN, Raber J. Effects of neonatal methamphetamine and thioperamide exposure on spatial memory retention and circadian activity later in life. Behav Brain Res. 2012 Apr 21; 230(1): 229-36.
- Fox DA, Lucchini R, Aschner M, Chen J, Anger WK, Kim EA, Boyes WK, Llorens J. Local effects and global impact in neurotoxicity and neurodegeneration: the Xi’an International Neurotoxicology Conference. Neurotoxicology. 2012 Aug; 33(4): 629-30.
- Frankenfeld CL, Lampe JW, Shannon J, Gao DL, Li W, Ray RM, Chen C, King IB, Thomas DB. Fruit and vegetable intakes in relation to plasma nutrient concentrations in women in Shanghai, China. Public Health Nutr. 2012 Jan; 15(1): 167-75.
- Hu K, Meijer JH, Shea SA,VanderLeest HT, Pittman-Polletta B, Houben T, van Oosterhout F, Deboer T, Scheer FA. Fractal patterns of neural activity exist within the suprachiasmatic nucleus and require extrinsic network interactions. PLoS One. 2012; 7(11): e48927.
- Ismail AA, Bodner TE, Rohlman DS. Neurobehavioral performance among agricultural workers and pesticide applicators: a meta-analytic study. Occup Environ Med. 2012 Jul; 69(7): 457-64.
- Jeyaraj D, Scheer FA, Ripperger JA, Haldar SM, Lu Y, Prosdocimo DA, Eapen SJ, Eapen BL, Cui Y, Mahabeleshwar GH, Lee HG, Smith MA, Casadesus G, Mintz EM, Sun H, Wang Y, Ramsey KM, Bass J, Shea SA, Albrecht U, Jain MK. Klf15 orchestrates circadian nitrogen homeostasis. Cell Metab. 2012; 15: 311-23
- Jeyaraj D, Haldar SM, Wan X, McCauley MD, Ripperger JA, Hu K, Lu Y, Eapen BL, Sharma N, Ficker E, Cutler MJ, Gulick J, Sanbe A, Robbins J, Demolombe S, Kondratov RV, Shea SA, Albrecht U, Wehrens XH, Rosenbaum DS, Jain MK. Circadian rhythms govern cardiac repolarization and arrhythmogenesis. Nature. 2012; 483: 96-9 Kassa R, Monterroso V, Wentzell J, Ramos AL, Couchi E, Lecomte MC, Iordanov M, Kretzschmar D, Nicolas G, Tshala-Katumbay D. Proximal giant neurofilamentous axonopathy in mice genetically engineered to resist calpain and caspase cleavage of α-II spectrin. J Mol Neurosci. 2012 Jul; 47(3): 631-8.
- Klug AR, Harbut MB, Lloyd RS, Minko IG. Replication bypass of N2-deoxyguanosine interstrand cross-links by human DNA polymerases η and ι. Chem Res Toxicol. 2012; 25 (3): 755-762.
- Krishnan N, Rakshit K, Chow ES, Wentzell JS, Kretzschmar D, Giebultowicz JM. Loss of circadian clock accelerates aging in neurodegeneration-prone mutants. Neurobiol Dis. 2012 Mar; 45(3):1129-35.
- Kumari A, Lim YX, Newell AH, Olson SB, McCullough AK. Formaldehyde-induced genome instability is suppressed by an XPF-dependent pathway. DNA Repair (Amst). 2012 Mar 1; 11(3): 236-46.
- Lein PJ, Bonner MR, Farahat FM, Olson JR, Rohlman DS, Fenske RA, Lattal KM, Lasarev MR, Galvin K, Farahat TM, Anger WK. Experimental strategy for translational studies of organophosphorus pesticide neurotoxicity based on real-world occupational exposures to chlorpyrifos. Neurotoxicology. 2012 Aug; 33(4): 660-8.
- Li AA, Levine TE, Burns CJ, Anger WK. Integration of epidemiology and animal neurotoxicity data for risk assessment. Neurotoxicology. 2012 Aug; 33(4): 823-32. London L,
- Beseler C, Bouchard MF, Bellinger DC, Colosio C, Grandjean P, Harari R, Kootbodien T, Kromhout H, Little F, Meijster T, Moretto A, Rohlman DS, Stallones L. Neurobehavioral and neurodevelopmental effects of pesticide exposures. Neurotoxicology. 2012 Aug; 33(4): 887-96.
- Luyster FS, Strollo PJ Jr, Zee PC, Walsh JK; Boards of Directors of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and the Sleep Research Society. Sleep: a health imperative. Sleep. 2012 Jun 1; 35(6): 727-34.
- Marriott LK, Cameron WE, Purnell JQ, Cetola S, Ito MK, Williams CD, Newcomb KC, Randall JA, Messenger WB, Lipus AC, Shannon J. Let’s Get Healthy! Health awareness through public participation in an education and research exhibit. Prog Community Health Partnersh. 2012 Fall; 6(3): 331-7
- Marriott LK, Nelson DA, Allen S, Calhoun K, Eldredge CE, Kimminau KS, Lucero RJ, Pineda-Reyes F, Rumala BB, Varanasi AP, Wasser JS, Shannon J. Using health information technology to engage communities in health, education, and research. Sci Transl Med. 2012; 4: 119.
- Messenger W, Nielson CM, Li H, Beer T, Barrett-Connor E, Stone K, Shannon J. Serum and dietary vitamin D and cardiovascular disease risk in elderly men: a prospective cohort study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2012 Oct; 22(10): 856-63. Miller S, McFerrin J, Banine F, Su W, Sherman LS and Patton BL. CD44 required for neuregulin-dependent axonal sorting and nonmyelinating Schwann cell differentiation. Mol Biol Cell. 2012; 23 (suppl): 2901.
- Olson R, Wipfli B and Garcia LR. Ergonomics: Practical guidance for assessing truck drivers. Professional Safety. 2012 Apr: 38-43 Poeck B, Strauss R, Kretzschmar D. Analysis of amyloid precursor protein function in Drosophila melanogaster. Exp Brain Res. 2012 Apr; 217(3-4): 413-21.
- Rohlman DS, Nuwayhid I, Ismail A, Saddik B. Using epidemiology and neurotoxicology to reduce risks to young workers. Neurotoxicology. 2012 Aug; 33(4): 817-22.
- Sampath H, McCullough AK, Lloyd RS. Regulation of DNA glycosylases and their role in limiting disease. Free Radic Res. 2012 Apr; 46(4): 460-78.
- Sampath H, Vartanian V, Rollins MR, Sakumi K, Nakabeppu Y, Lloyd RS. 8-Oxoguanine DNA glycosylase (OGG1) deficiency increases susceptibility to obesity and metabolic dysfunction. PLoS One. 2012; 7(12): e51697.
- Scheer FA, Morris CJ, Garcia JI, Smales C, Kelly EE, Marks J, Malhotra A, Shea SA. Repeated melatonin supplementation improves sleep in hypertensive patients treated with beta-blockers: a randomized controlled trial. Sleep. 2012 Oct 1; 35(10): 1395-402.
- Shea SA. Obesity and pharmacologic control of the body clock. N Engl J Med. 2012 Jul 12; 367(2): 175-8.
- Spencer PS and Palmer VS. Interrelationships of undernutrition and neurotoxicity: food for thought and research attention. Neurotoxicology 22: 605-16, 2012.
- Spencer PS, Fry, RC and Kisby, GE. Unraveling 50-year-old clues linking neurodegeneration and cancer to cycad toxins: Are microRNAs common mediators? Frontiers in Genetics 2012; 3: 192.
- Spencer PS, Fry RC, Palmer VS and Kisby GE. Western Pacific ALS-PDC: a prototypical neurodegenerative disorder linked to DNA damage and aberrant proteogenesis? Frontiers in Neurology 2012; 3: 180.
- Wentzell JS, Bolkan BJ, Carmine-Simmen K, Swanson TL, Musashe DT, Kretzschmar D. Amyloid precursor proteins are protective in Drosophila models of progressive neurodegeneration. Neurobiol Dis. 2012 Apr; 46(1): 78-87.
- Wipfli B, Olson R, Wright RR, Garrigues L, Lees J. Characterizing hazards and injuries among home care workers. Home Healthcare Nurse June/July 2012; 30(7): 387-393.
- Yamanaka K, Dorjsuren D, Eoff RL, Egli M, Maloney DJ, Jadhav A, Simeonov A, Lloyd RS. A comprehensive strategy to discover inhibitors of the translesion synthesis DNA polymerase κ. PLoS One. 2012; 7(10): e45032.
- Ansbaugh N, Shannon J, Mori M, Farris PE, Garzotto M. Agent Orange as a risk factor for high-grade prostate cancer. Cancer. 2013 Jul 1; 119(13): 2399-404
- Banea JP, Bradbury JH, Mandombi C, Nahimana D, Denton IC, Kuwa N, Tshala Katumbay D. Control of konzo by detoxification of cassava flour in three villages in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Food Chem Toxicol. 2013 Oct; 60: 506-13.
- Boivin MJ, Okitundu D, Makila-Mabe Bumoko G, Sombo MT, Mumba D, Tylleskar T, Page CF, Tamfum Muyembe JJ, Tshala-Katumbay D. Neuropsychological effects of konzo: a neuromotor disease associated with poorly processed cassava. Pediatrics. 2013 Apr; 131(4): e1231-9.
- Buhl KJ, Berman FW, Stone, DL. Reports of metaldehyde and iron phosphate exposures in animals and characterization of suspected iron toxicosis in dogs. JAVMA. 2013 May; 242(9): 1244-1248.
- Chary P, Beard WA, Wilson SH, Lloyd RS. Inhibition of HIV-1 reverse transcriptase-catalyzed synthesis by intercalated DNA Benzo[a]Pyrene 7,8-Dihydrodiol-9,10-Epoxide adducts. PLoS One. 2013 Sep 19; 8(9): e72131.
- Chary P, Stone MP, Lloyd RS. Sequence context modulation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon-induced mutagenesis. Environ Mol Mutagen. 2013 Oct; 54(8): 652-8.
- Crane AL, Abdel Rasoul G, Ismail AA, Hendy O, Bonner MR, Lasarev MR, Al-Batanony M, Singleton ST, Khan K, Olson JR, Rohlman DS. Longitudinal assessment of chlorpyrifos exposure and effect biomarkers in adolescent Egyptian agricultural workers. J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol. 2013 Jul; 23(4): 356-62.
- Crowley KE, Rajaratnam SM, Shea SA, Epstein LJ, Czeisler CA, Lockley SW, Harvard Work Hours, Health and Safety Group. Evaluation of a single-channel nasal pressure device to assess obstructive sleep apnea risk in laboratory and home environments. J Clin Sleep Med. 2013 Feb 1; 9(2): 109-16.
- Diekman CO, Belle MD, Irwin RP, Allen CN, Piggins HD, Forger DB. Causes and consequences of hyperexcitation in central clock neurons. PLoS Comput Biol. 2013; 9(8)
- Earley LF, Minko IG, Christov PP, Rizzo CJ, Lloyd RS. Mutagenic Spectra Arising from Replication Bypass of the 2,6-Diamino-4-hydroxy-N5-methyl Formamidopyrimidine Adduct in Primate Cells. Chem Res Toxicol. 2013
- Duringer JM, Craig AM, Palmer VS, and Spencer PS. Beauvericin in sorghum proximate to Nodding Syndrome: Preliminary findings. In Rahman A and Sandhu PS, eds., International Conference on Chemical, Agricultural and Medical Sciences (CAMS-2013), December 20-30, 2013, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp. 110-112, 2013.
- Hu K, Harper DG, Shea SA, Stopa EG, Scheer FA. Noninvasive fractal biomarker of clock neurotransmitter disturbance in humans with dementia. Sci Rep. 2013; 3: 2229.
- Irwin RP, Allen CN. Simultaneous electrophysiological recording and calcium imaging of suprachiasmatic nucleus neurons. J Vis Exp. 2013 Dec 8; (82).
- Jacobs AC, Calkins MJ, Jadhav A, Dorjsuren D, Maloney D, Simeonov A, Jaruga P, Dizdaroglu M, McCullough AK, Lloyd RS. Inhibition of DNA Glycosylases via Small Molecule Purine Analogs. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 9; 8(12): e81667.
- Kasiviswanathan R, Minko IG, Lloyd RS, Copeland WC. Translesion synthesis past acrolein-derived DNA adducts by human mitochondrial DNA polymerase γ. J Biol Chem. 2013 May 17; 288(20): 14247-55.
- Kassa R, Monterroso V, David LL, Tshala-Katumbay D. Diagnostic and therapeutic potential of tetanus toxin-derivatives in neurological diseases. J Mol Neurosci. 2013 Nov; 51(3): 788-91.
- Ketkar A, Zafar MK, Maddukuri L, Yamanaka K, Banerjee S, Egli M, Choi JY, Lloyd RS, Eoff RL. Leukotriene biosynthesis inhibitor MK886 impedes DNA polymerase activity. Chem Res Toxicol. 2013 Feb 18; 26(2): 221-32.
- Kimani S, Moterroso V, Lasarev M, Kipruto S, Bukachi F, Maitai C, David L, Tshala-Katumbay D. Carbamoylation correlates of cyanate neuropathy and cyanide poisoning: relevance to the biomarkers of cassava cyanogenesis and motor system toxicity. Springerplus. 2013 Dec 2; 2: 647.
- Kisby GE and Spencer PS. Parkinsonism and cancer. JAMA Neurology 70: 414-5, 2013. Kisby GE and Spencer PS. Cycad plant toxins and animal models of developmental brain dysfunction. In Plants, Herbs and Development. Birth Defects Research: Part C. Embryo Today (ed. Tuan R), Wiley, 99: 247-55, 2013.
- Kronenberg A, Gauny S, Kwoh E, Grossi G, Dan C, Grygoryev D, Lasarev M, Turker MS. Comparative analysis of cell killing and autosomal mutation in mouse kidney epithelium exposed to 1 GeV protons in vitro or in vivo. Radiat Res. 2013 May; 179(5): 511-20.
- Kruer MC, Jepperson T, Dutta S, Steiner RD, Cottenie E, Sanford L, Merkens M, Russman BS, Blasco PA, Fan G, Pollock J, Green S, Woltjer RL, Mooney C, Kretzschmar D, Paisán-Ruiz C, Houlden H. Mutations in gamma adducin are associated with inherited cerebral palsy. Ann Neurol. 2013 Jul 9.
- Laharnar N, Perrin N, Hanson G, Glass N, Anger WK. A Training Intervention for Supervisors to Support Implementation of a Work-Family Policy. Safety and Health at Work, 2013, 4(3): 166-167.
- Luabeya MK, Mwanza JC, Mukendi KM, Tshala-Katumbay D. APRONES: neurology research and education in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Neurology. 2013 May 7; 80(19): 1806-7.
- Moldavan MG, Allen CN. GABAB receptor-mediated frequency-dependent and circadian changes in synaptic plasticity modulate retinal input to the suprachiasmatic nucleus. J Physiol. 2013 May 15; 591(Pt 10): 2475-90.
- Nakaishi L, Moss H, Weinstein M, Perrin N, Rose L, Anger WK, Hanson GC, Christian M, Glass N. Exploring workplace violence among home care workers in a consumer-driven home health care program. Workplace Health Saf. 2013 Oct; 61(10): 441-50.
- Noonan W, Decker-Dismuke A, Turker MS. Epigenetic Patents: A Stressful Environment for an Emerging Science. Biotechnology Law Report 2013; 32: 302-312.
- Olsen RH, Allen CN, Derkach VA, Phillips TJ, Belknap JK, Raber J. Impaired memory and reduced sensitivity to the circadian period lengthening effects of methamphetamine in mice selected for high methamphetamine consumption. Behav Brain Res. 2013 Nov 1; 256: 197-204.
- Pittman-Polletta BR, Scheer FA, Butler MP, Shea SA, Hu K. The role of the circadian system in fractal neurophysiological control. Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc. 2013 Nov; 88(4): 873-94.
- Rohlman DS, Parish M, Elliot DL, Montgomery D, Hanson G. Characterizing the needs of a young working population: making the case for total worker health in an emerging workforce. J Occup Environ Med. 2013 Dec; 55(12 Suppl): S69-72.
- Scheer FA, Morris CJ, Shea SA. The internal circadian clock increases hunger and appetite in the evening independent of food intake and other behaviors. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Mar; 21(3): 421-3.
- Shanmugam G, Minko IG, Banerjee S, Christov PP, Kozekov ID, Rizzo CJ, Lloyd RS, Egli M, Stone MP. Ring-opening of the γ-OH-PdG adduct promotes error-free bypass by the Sulfolobus solfataricus DNA polymerase Dpo4. Chem Res Toxicol. 2013 Sep 16; 26(9): 1348-60.
- Shikany JM, Barrett-Connor E, Ensrud KE, Cawthon PM, Lewis CE, Dam TT, Shannon J, Redden DT; for the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Research Group. Macronutrients, Diet Quality, and Frailty in Older Men. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013 Dec 4.
- Spencer PS, Palmer VS and Jilek-Aall L. Nodding Syndrome: Origins and natural history of a longstanding epileptic disorder in sub-Sahara. African Health Sciences 13: 176-82, 2013.
- Spencer PS, Vandemaele K, Richer M, Palmer VS, Chungong S, Anker M, Ayana Y, Opoka ML, Klaucke DN, Quarello and Tumwine JK. Nodding Syndrome in Mundri County, South Sudan: Environmental, nutritional and infectious factors. African Health Sciences, 13: 183-203, 2013.
- Spencer PS and Palmer VS. Nodding Syndrome: Do mycotoxins contribute to etiology? PLoS ONE July 31, 2013
- Tshala-Katumbay D, Mumba N, Okitundu L, Kazadi K, Banea M, Tylleskär T, Boivin M, Muyembe-Tamfum JJ. Cassava food toxins, konzo disease, and neurodegeneration in sub-Sahara Africans. Neurology. 2013 Mar 5; 80(10): 949-51.
- Turker MS, Grygoryev D, Dan C, Eckelmann B, Lasarev M, Gauny S, Kwoh E, Kronenberg A. Autosomal mutations in mouse kidney epithelial cells exposed to high-energy protons in vivo or in culture. Radiat Res. 2013 May; 179(5): 521-9.
- Walters JK, Olson R, Karr J, Zoller E, Cain D, Douglas JP. Elevated occupational transportation fatalities among older workers in Oregon: an empirical investigation. Accid Anal Prev. 2013 Apr; 53: 28-38.
- Wipfli B, Olson R, Koren M. Weight-loss maintenance among SHIFT pilot study participants 30-months after intervention. J Occup Environ Med. 2013 Jan; 55(1): 1-3
Andreisek G, Deyo RA, Jarvik JG, Porchet F, Winklhofer SFX, Steurer J. Consensus conference on core radiological parameters to describe lumber stenosis – an initiative for structured reporting. Eur. Soc. Radiol. 2014 Jul 31. [Epub]
Anger WK, Elliot DL, Bodner T, Olson R, Rohlman DS, Truxillo DM, Kuehl KS, Hammer LB, Montgomery D. Effectiveness of Total Worker Health Interventions. J Occup Health Psychol. 2014 Dec 22. [Epub]
Anger WK. Reconsideration of the WHO NCTB strategy and test selection. Neurotoxicology. 2014 Dec; 45:224-31.
Banea JP, Bradbury JH, Mandombi C, Nahimana D, Denton IC, Kuwa N, Tshala Katumbay D. Effectiveness of wetting method for control of konzo and reduction of cyanide poisoning by removal of cyanogens from cassava flour. Food Nutr Bull. 2014 Mar; 35(1): 28-32.
Bolkan BJ, Kretzschmar D. Loss of Tau results in defects in photoreceptor development and progressive neuronal degeneration in Drosophila. Dev Neurobiol. 2014 Dec; 74(12): 1210-25.
Bumoko GM, Sombo MT, Okitundu LD, Mumba DN, Kazadi KT, Tamfum-Muyembe JJ, Lasarev MR, Boivin MJ, Banea JP, Tshala-Katumbay DD. Determinants of cognitive performance in children relying on cyanogenic cassava as staple food. Metab Brain Dis. 2014 Jun; 29(2): 359-66.
Callahan CL, Al-Batanony M, Ismail AA, Abdel-Rasoul G, Hendy O, Olson JR, Rohlman DS, Bonner MR. Chlorpyrifos exposure and respiratory health among adolescent agricultural workers. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2014 Dec 16; 11(12): 13117-29.
Cherkin DC, Sherman KJ, Balderson BH, Turner JA, Cook AJ, Stoelb B, Herman PM, Deyo RA, Hawkes RJ. Comparison of complementary and alternative medicine with conventional mind-body therapies for chronic back pain: protocol for the Mind-body Approaches to Pain (MAP) randomized controlled trial. Trials 2014 May 1; 15:211
Chiarotto A, Terwee CB, Deyo RA, Boers M, Lin CWC, Buchbinder R, Corbin TP, Costa LOP, Foster NE, Grotle M, Koes BW, Kovacs FM, Maher CG, Pearson AM, Peul WC, Schooene ML, Turk DC, vanTulder MW, Ostelo RW. A core outcome set for clinical trials on non-specific low back pain: study protocol for the development of a core domain set. Trials 2014; 15:511
Cook M, Bolkan BJ, Kretzschmar D. Increased actin polymerization and stabilization interferes with neuronal function and survival in the AMPKγ mutant Loechrig. PLoS One. 2014 Feb 25; 9(2).
Deyo RA, Jarvik JG, Chou R. Low back pain in primary care. BMJ 2014; 349:g4266.
Deyo RA, et. al. Report of the NIH task force on research standards for chronic low back pain. J. Pain (2014) June; 15: 569-585
Friedly JL, Comstock BA, Turner JA, Heagerty PJ, Deyo RA, et. al. A randomized trial of epidural glucocorticoid injections for spinal stenosis. N Engl J Med 2014; 371: 11-21.
Grygoryev D, Dan C, Gauny S, Eckelmann B, Ohlrich AP, Connolly M, Lasarev M, Grossi G, Kronenberg A, Turker MS. Autosomal mutants of proton-exposed kidney cells display frequent loss of heterozygosity on nonselected chromosomes. Radiat Res. 2014 May; 181(5): 452-63.
Hildebran C, Cohen DJ, Irvine JM, Foley C, O'kane N, Beran T, Deyo RA. How clinicians use prescription drug monitoring programs: a qualitative inquiry. Pain Med. 2014; 15: 1179-1186
Hsieh WH, Escobar C, Yugay T, Lo MT, Pittman-Polletta B, Salgado-Delgado R, Scheer FA, Shea SA, Buijs RM, Hu K. Simulated shift work in rats perturbs multiscale regulation of locomotor activity. J R Soc Interface. 2014 Jul 6;11(96).
Irvine JM, Hallvik SE, Hildebran C, Marino M, Beran T, Deyo RA. Who uses a prescription drug monitoring program and how? Insights from a statewide survey of Oregon clinicians. J of Pain 2014 Jul; 15: 646-655
Ismail AA, El Sanosy RM, Rohlman DS, El-Setouhy M. Neuropsychological functioning among chronic khat users in Jazan region, Saudi Arabia. Subst Abus. 2014; 35(3): 235-44.
Jarjisian SG, Butler MP, Paul MJ, Place NJ, Prendergast BJ, Kriegsfeld, LJ, Zucker I. In Press. Dorsomedial hypothalamic lesions counteract decreases in locomotor activity male Syrian hamsters transferred from long to short day lengths. J Biol Rhythms. 2015 Feb; 30(1): 42-52.
Jarvik JG, Comstock BA, Heagerty PJ, Turner JA, Sullivan SD, Shi X, Nerenz DR, Nedeljkovic SS, Kessler L, James K, Friedly JL, Bresnahan BW, Bauer Z, Avins AL, Deyo RA. Back pain in seniors: the back pain outcomes using longitudinal data (BOLD) cohort baseline data. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2014; 15: 134
Khan K, Ismail AA, Abdel Rasoul G, Bonner MR, Lasarev MR, Hendy O, Al-Batanony M, Crane AL, Singleton ST, Olson JR, Rohlman DS. Longitudinal assessment of chlorpyrifos exposure and self-reported neurological symptoms in adolescent pesticide applicators. BMJ Open. 2014 Mar 4; 4(3): e004177.
Kimani S, Sinei K, Bukachi F, Tshala-Katumbay D, Maitai C. Memory deficits associated with sublethal cyanide poisoning relative to cyanate toxicity in rodents. Metab Brain Dis. 2014 Mar; 29(1): 105-12.
Kimani S, Moterroso V, Morales P, Wagner J, Kipruto S, Bukachi F, Maitai C, Tshala-Katumbay D. Cross-species and tissue variations in cyanide detoxification rates in rodents and non-human primates on protein-restricted diet. Food Chem Toxicol. 2014 Apr; 66: 203-9.
Landis JL, Palmer VS and Spencer PS. Nodding syndrome in Kitgum District, Uganda: Association with conflict and internal displacement. BMJ Open. 2014; 4(11).
Laraway S, Snycerski S, Olson R, Becker B, Poling A. The Motivating Operations concept: Current status and critical response. The Psychological Record. 2014; 64(3) 601-623.
Lin YC, Li L, Makarova AV, Burgers PM, Stone MP, Lloyd RS. Error-prone replication bypass of the primary aflatoxin B1 DNA adduct, AFB1-N7-Gua. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2014; 289(26): 18497-18506.
Lin YC, Li L, Makarova AV, Burgers PM, Stone MP, Lloyd RS. Molecular basis of aflatoxin-induced mutagenesis-role of the aflatoxin B1-formamido-pyrimidine adduct. Carcinogenesis. 2014; 35(7): 1461-1468.
Lim MM, Gerstner JR, Holtzman DM. The sleep-wake cycle and Alzheimer Disease: What do we know? Neurodegenerative Disease Management. 2014; 4(5): 351-62.
Long DM, Blake MR, Dutta S, Holbrook SD, Kotwica-Rolinska J, Kretzschmar D, Giebultowicz JM. Relationships between the circadian system and Alzheimer's disease-like symptoms in Drosophila. PLoS One. 2014 Aug 29; 9(8).
Lu Y, Wajapeyee N, Turker MS, Glazer PM. Silencing of the DNA mismatch repair gene MLH1 induced by hypoxic stress in a pathway dependent on the histone demethylase LSD1. Cell Rep. 2014 Jul 24; 8(2): 501-13.
Lurker PA, Berman F, Clapp RW and Stellman JM. Post-Vietnam military herbicide exposures in UC-123 Agent Orange spray aircraft. Environmental Research 2014 Apr.; 130: 34-42.
Makila-Mabe BG, Kikandau KJ, Sombo TM, Okitundu DL, Mwanza JC, Boivin MJ, Ngoyi MD, Muyembe JJ, Banea JP, Boss GR, Tshala-Katumbay D. Serum 8,12-iso-iPF2α-VI isoprostane marker of oxidative damage and cognition deficits in children with konzo. PLoS One. 2014 Sep 15; 9(9)
Merchant JA, Kelly KM, Burmeister LF, Lozier MJ, Amendola A, Lind DP, KcKeen A, Slater T, Hall JL, Rohlman DS, Buikema BS. Employment status matters: a statewide survey of quality-of-life, prevention behaviors, and absenteeism and presenteeism. J Occup Environ Med. 2014 Jul; 56(7): 686-98.
Minko IG, Earley LF, Larlee KE, Lin YC, Lloyd RS. Pyrosequencing: Applicability for studying DNA damage-induced mutagenesis. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis. 2014; 55(8): 601-608.
Okitundu Luwa E-Andjafono D, Bumoko Makila-Mabe G, Ayanne MT, Kikandau JK, Mashukano N, Kazadi Kayembe T, Mumba Ngoyi D, Boivin MJ, Tamfum-Muyembe JJ, Banea Mayambu JP, Tshala-Katumbay D. [Persistence of konzo epidemics in Kahemba, Democratic Republic of Congo: phenomenological and socio-economic aspects]. Pan Afr Med J. 2014 Jul 15; 18: 213.
Olson R, Wipfli B, Wright RR, Garrigues L, Nguyen T, Lopez de Castro B. Reliability and validity of the home care STAT (Safety Task Assessment Tool). Applied Ergonomics. 2014; 45(4): 1157-66.
Olson R, Ellio D, Hess J, Thompson S, Luther K, Wipfli B, Wright R, Buckmaster AM. The COMmunity of Practice And Safety Support (COMPASS) total worker health™ study among home care workers: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2014; 15(411): 1-13.
Palmer VS, Mazumder R and Spencer PS. Interprofessional global health education in a cosmopolitan community of North America: The iCHEE experience. Academic Medicine. 2014; 89(8): 1149-1152.
Rahman SA, Castanon-Cervantes O, Scheer FA, Shea SA, Czeisler CA, Davidson AJ, Lockley SW. Endogenous circadian regulation of pro-inflammatory cytokines and chemokines in the presence of bacterial lipopolysaccharide in humans. Brain Behav Immun. 2014 Nov 13. pii: S0889-1591(14)00518-2.
Rodríguez-Barranco M, Lacasaña M, Gil F, Lorca A, Alguacil J, Rohlman DS, González-Alzaga B, Molina-Villalba I, Mendoza R, Aguilar-Garduño C. Cadmium exposure and neuropsychological development in school children in southwestern Spain. Environ Res. 2014 Oct; 134: 66-73.
Rohitrattana J, Siriwong W, Suittiwan P, Robson MG, Strickland PO, Rohlman DS, Fiedler N. Adaptation of a neurobehavioral test battery for Thai children. Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig. 2014; 65(3): 205-12.
Rohlman DS, Ismail AA, Abdel-Rasoul G, Lasarev M, Hendy O, Olson JR. Characterizing exposures and neurobehavioral performance in Egyptian adolescent pesticide applicators. Metab Brain Dis. 2014 Sep; 29(3): 845-55.
Sampath H. Oxidative DNA damage in disease--insights gained from base excision repair glycosylase-deficient mouse models. Environ Mol Mutagen. 2014 Dec; 55(9): 689-703.
Sampath H and Ntambi JM. The role of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 in skin integrity and whole body energy balance. J Biol Chem. 2014; 289: 2482-2488.
Scheer FA, Shea SA. Human circadian system causes a morning peak in prothrombotic plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1) independent of the sleep/wake cycle. Blood. 2014 Jan 23;123(4):590-3.
Shikany JM, Barrett-Connor E, Ensrud KE, Cawthon PM, Lewis CE, Dam TT, Shannon J, Redden DT. Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Research Group. Macronutrients, diet quality, and frailty in older men. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014 Jun; 69(6): 695-701.
Singleton ST, Lein PJ, Davidson OA, McGarrigle BP, Farahat FM, Farahat T, Bonner MR, Fenske RA, Galvin K, Lasarev MR, Anger WK, Rohlman DS, Olson JR. Longitudinal assessment of occupational exposures to the organophosphorus insecticides chlorpyrifos and profenofos in Egyptian cotton field workers. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health. 2014; PMID 25466362
Stapleton RD, Ehlenbach WJ, Deyo RA, Curtis RJ. Long-term outcomes after in-hospital CPR in older adults with chronic illness. Chest 2014; 146(5): 1214-1225
Topaloglu AK, Lomniczi A, Kretzschmar D, Dissen GA, Kotan LD, McArdle CA, Koc AF, Hamel BC, Guclu M, Papatya ED, Eren E, Mengen E, Gurbuz F, Cook M, Castellano JM, Kekil MB, Mungan NO, Yuksel B, Ojeda SR. Loss-of-function mutations in PNPLA6 encoding neuropathy target esterase underlie pubertal failure and neurological deficits in Gordon Holmes syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014; Oct; 99(10).
Wentzell JS, Cassar M, Kretzschmar D. Organophosphate-induced changes in the PKA regulatory function of Swiss Cheese/NTE lead to behavioral deficits and neurodegeneration. PLoS One. 2014; Feb 18; 9(2).
Anger WK, Elliot DL, Bodner T, Olson R, Rohlman DS, Truxillo DM, Kuehl KS, Hammer LB, Montgomery D. Effectiveness of total worker health interventions. J Occup Health Psychol. 2015 Apr;20(2):226-47. doi: 10.1037/a0038340. Epub 2014 Dec 22.
Arble DM, Bass J, Behn CD, Butler MP, Challet E, et al. Impact of Sleep
and Circadian Disruption on Energy Balance and Diabetes: A Summary of
Workshop Discussions. Sleep. 2015;38(12):1849-60.
Bakhtiani PA, El Youssef J, Duell AK, Branigan DL, Jacobs PG, Lasarev MR, Castle JR, Ward WK.Factors affecting the success of glucagon delivered during an automated closed-loop system in type 1 diabetes. J Diabetes Complications. 2015 Jan-Feb;29(1):93-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2014.09.001. Epub 2014 Sep 16.
Barbosa C, Bray JW, Dowd WN, Mills MJ, Moen P, Wipfli B, Olson R, Kelly EL. Return on Investment of a Work-Family Intervention: Evidence From the Work, Family, and Health Network. J Occup Environ Med. 2015 Sep;57(9):943-51.
Berkman, L. B., Liu, S. Y., Hammer, L. B., Moen, P., Klein, L. C., Kelly, E., Fay, M., Davis,K., Durham, M., Karuntzos, G., Buxton, O. M. (2015). Work/family demands, cardiometabolic risk and sleep duration in extended care employees. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 20, 420-433. doi: 10.1037/a0039143
Butler MP, Smales C, Wu H, Hussain MV, Mohamed YA, et al. The Circadian System Contributes to Apnea Lengthening across the Night in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Sleep. 2015;38(11):1793-801.
Chiarotto A, Deyo RA, Terwee CB, Boers M, Buchbinder R, Corbin TP, Costa LO, Foster NE, Grotle M, Koes BW, Kovacs FM, Lin CW, Maher CG, Pearson AM, Peul WC, Schoene ML, Turk DC, van Tulder MW, Ostelo RW. Eur Spine J. 2015 Sep;24(9):2097. doi: 10.1007/s00586-015-3984-0. Epub 2015 May 8.
Chiarotto A, Deyo RA, Terwee CB, Boers M, Buchbinder R, Corbin TP, Costa LO, Foster NE, Grotle M, Koes BW, Kovacs FM, Lin CW, Maher CG, Pearson AM, Peul WC, Schoene ML, Turk DC, van Tulder MW, Ostelo RW. Core outcome domains for clinical trials in non-specific low back pain. Eur Spine J. 2015 Jun;24(6):1127-42. doi: 10.1007/s00586-015-3892-3. Epub 2015 Apr 5. Erratum in: Eur Spine J. 2015 Sep;24(9):2097.
Chou R, Turner JA, Devine EB, Hansen RN, Sullivan SD, Blazina I, Dana T, Bougatsos C, Deyo RA. The effectiveness and risks of long-term opioid therapy for chronic pain: a systematic review for a National Institutes of Health Pathways to Prevention Workshop. Ann Intern Med. 2015 Feb 17;162(4):276-86. doi: 10.7326/M14-2559. Review.
Davis, K. D., Lawson, K., Almeida, D. M., Kelly, E., King, R. B., Hammer, L. Casper, L., Okechukwu, C., &Hanson, G., &McHale, S. M. (2015). Parents' daily time with their children: A workplace intervention. Pediatrics, 135 (5), 875-882. doi: 10.1542/peds.2014-2057
DePasquale, N., Polenick, C., Davis, K. D., Moen, P., Hammer, L., &Almeida, D. M. (2015). The psychosocial implications of managing work and family caregiving roles: Gender differences among IT professionals. Journal of Family Issues, 1-25. doi: 10.1177/0192513X15584680
Deyo RA, Ramsey K, Buckley DI, Michaels L, Kobus A, Eckstrom E, Forro V, Morris C. Performance of a Patient Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) Short Form in Older Adults with Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain.Pain Med. 2015 Dec 24. pii: pnv046. [Epub ahead of print]
Deyo RA, Dworkin SF, Amtmann D, Andersson G, Borenstein D, Carragee E, Carrino J, Chou R, Cook K, DeLitto A, Goertz C, Khalsa P, Loeser J, Mackey S, Panagis J, Rainville J, Tosteson T, Turk D, Von Korff M, Weiner DK. Report of the NIH Task Force on Research Standards for Chronic Low Back Pain. Int J Ther Massage Bodywork. 2015 Sep 1;8(3):16-33. eCollection 2015 Sep.
Deyo RA, Bryan M, Comstock BA, Turner JA, Heagerty P, Friedly J, Avins AL, Nedeljkovic SS, Nerenz DR, Jarvik JG. Trajectories of symptoms and function in older adults with low back disorders. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2015 Sep 1;40(17):1352-62. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0000000000000975.
Deyo RA. Biopsychosocial care for chronic back pain. BMJ. 2015 Feb 18;350:h538. doi: 10.1136/bmj.h538.
Deyo RA, Dworkin SF, Amtmann D, Andersson G, Borenstein D, Carragee E, Carrino J, Chou R, Cook K, Delitto A, Goertz C, Khalsa P, Loeser J, Mackey S, Panagis J, Rainville J, Tosteson T, Turk D, Von Korff M, Weiner DK. Report of the NIH Task Force on research standards for chronic low back pain. Phys Ther. 2015 Feb;95(2):e1-e18. doi: 10.2522/ptj.2015.95.2.e1.
Deyo RA. Fusion surgery for lumbar degenerative disc disease: still more questions than answers. Spine J. 2015 Feb 1;15(2):272-4. doi: 10.1016/j.spinee.2014.11.004.
Deyo RA, Von Korff M, Duhrkoop D. Opioids for low back pain. BMJ. 2015 Jan 5;350:g6380. doi: 10.1136/bmj.g6380. Review.
Donley N, Jaruga P, Coskun E, Dizdaroglu M, McCullough AK, Lloyd RS.
Small Molecule Inhibitors of 8-Oxoguanine DNA Glycosylase-1 (OGG1). ACS
Chem Biol. 2015 Oct 16;10(10):2334-43. doi: 10.1021/acschembio.5b00452.
Epub 2015 Aug 7.
Elder C, DeBar L, Ritenbaugh C, Vollmer W, Deyo RA, Dickerson J, Kindler L. Acupuncture and chiropractic care: utilization and electronic medical record capture. Am J Manag Care. 2015 Jul 1;21(7):e414-21.
Elkind JA, Lim MM, Johnson BN, Palmer CP, Putnam BJ, Kirschen MP, Cohen AS. Efficacy, dosage, and duration of action of branched chain amino Acid therapy for traumatic brain injury. Front Neurol. 2015 Mar 30;6:73. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2015.00073. eCollection 2015.
Gray NE, Sampath H, Zweig JA, Quinn JF, Soumyanath A. Centella asiatica Attenuates Amyloid-β-Induced Oxidative Stress and Mitochondrial Dysfunction. J Alzheimers Dis. 2015;45(3):933-46. doi: 10.3233/JAD-142217.
Hammer, L., Truxillo, D., Bodner, T., Rineer, J., Pytlovany, A., &Richman, A. (2015). Effects of a workplace intervention targeting psychosocial risk factors on safety and health outcomes: Psychosocial factors and workers health and safety. BioMed Research International, vol. 2015, Article ID 836967, 12 pages, 2015. doi:10.1155/2015/836967.
Hinson HE, Puybasset L, Weiss N, Perlbarg V, Benali H, Galanaud D, Lasarev M, Stevens RD. Neuroanatomical basis of paroxysmal sympathetic hyperactivity: a diffusion tensor imaging analysis. Neuro Imaging for Coma Emergence, Recovery (NICER) Consortium. Brain Inj. 2015;29(4):455-61. doi: 10.3109/02699052.2014.995229. Epub 2015 Jan 7.
Hurtado DA, Nelson CC, Hashimoto D, Sorensen G. Supervisors' support for nurses' meal breaks and mental health. Workplace Health Saf. 2015 Mar;63(3):107-15. doi: 10.1177/2165079915571354.
Hurtado DA, Berkman LF, Buxton OM, Okechukwu CA. Schedule Control and Nursing Home Quality: Exploratory Evidence of a Psychosocial Predictor of Resident Care. J Appl Gerontol. 2016 Feb;35(2):244-53. doi: 10.1177/0733464814546895. Epub 2014 Sep 2.
Hryciw G, Grygoryev D, Lasarev M, Ohlrich A, Dan C, Madhira R, Eckelmann B, Gauny S, Kronenberg A, Turker MS. Accelerated (48)Ti Ions Induce Autosomal Mutations in Mouse Kidney Epithelium at Low Dose and Fluence. Radiation Res. 2015 Oct;184(4):367-77. doi: 10.1667/RR14130.1. Epub 2015 Sep 23.
Jarjisian SG, Butler MP, Paul MJ, Place NJ, Prendergast BJ, et al. Dorsomedial hypothalamic lesions counteract decreases in locomotor activity in male Syrian hamsters transferred from long to short day lengths. Journal of biological rhythms. 2015;30(1):42-52. NIHMSID: NIHMS674095
Jarvik JG, Gold LS, Comstock BA, Heagerty PJ, Rundell SD, Turner JA, Avins AL, Bauer Z, Bresnahan BW, Friedly JL, James K, Kessler L, Nedeljkovic SS, Nerenz DR, Shi X, Sullivan SD, Chan L, Schwalb JM, Deyo RA. Association of early imaging for back pain with clinical outcomes in older adults. JAMA. 2015 Mar 17;313(11):1143-53. doi: 10.1001/jama.2015.1871. Erratum in: JAMA. 2015 May 5;313(17):1758.
Jarvik JG, Comstock BA, James KT, Avins AL, Bresnahan BW, Deyo RA, Luetmer PH, Friedly JL, Meier EN, Cherkin DC, Gold LS, Rundell SD, Halabi SS, Kallmes DF, Tan KW, Turner JA, Kessler LG, Lavallee DC, Stephens KA, Heagerty PJ. Lumbar Imaging With Reporting Of Epidemiology (LIRE)-Protocol for a pragmatic cluster randomized trial. Contemp Clin Trials. 2015 Nov;45(Pt B):157-63. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2015.10.003. Epub 2015 Oct 19.
Kmoch S, Majewski J, Ramamurthy V, Cao S, Fahiminiya S, et al. Mutations in PNPLA6 are linked to photoreceptor degeneration and various forms of childhood blindness. Nature communications. 2015;6:5614.
Kumari A, Owen N, Juarez E, McCullough AK. BLM protein mitigates formaldehyde-induced genomic instability. DNA Repair (Amst). 2015 Apr;28:73-82. doi: 10.1016/j.dnarep.2015.02.010. Epub 2015 Feb 19.
Kumari A, Choudhary S, Arora S, Sharma V. Stability of aspartame and neotame in pasteurized and in-bottle sterilized flavoured milk. Food Chem. 2016 Apr 1;196:533-8. doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2015.09.082. Epub 2015 Sep 26.
Lam DD, de Souza FS, Nasif S, Yamashita M, López-Leal R, Otero-Corchon V, Meece K, Sampath H, Mercer AJ, Wardlaw SL, Rubinstein M, Low MJ. Partially redundant enhancers cooperatively maintain Mammalian pomc expression above a critical functional threshold. PLoS Genet. 2015 Feb 11;11(2):e1004935. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1004935. eCollection 2015 Feb. Erratum in: PLoS Genet. 2015 Apr;11(4):e1005133.
Lam, J., Fox, K., Fan, W., Moen, P., Kelly, E.L., Hammer, L., Kossek, E. (2015). Manager Characteristics and Employee Job Insecurity around a Merger Announcement: The Role of Status and Crossover. The Sociological Quarterly, 56(3): 558-580.
Mann B, Kumari A, Kumar R, Sharma R, Prajapati K, Mahboob S, Athira S. Antioxidant activity of whey protein hydrolysates in milk beverage system. J Food Sci Technol. 2015 Jun;52(6):3235-41. doi: 10.1007/s13197-014-1361-3. Epub 2014 Apr 29..Model Z, Butler MP, LeSauter J, Silver R. Suprachiasmatic nucleus as the site of androgen action on circadian rhythms. Hormones and behavior. 2015;73:1-7. NIHMSID: NIHMS694202
Martin BI, Deyo RA, Lurie JD, Carey TS, Tosteson AN, Mirza SK. Effects of a Commercial Insurance Policy Restriction on Lumbar Fusion in North Carolina and the Implications for National Adoption. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2015 Dec 14. [Epub ahead of print]
Moen, P., Kaduk, A., Kossek, E., Hammer, L., Buxton, O.M., O'Donnell, E., Almeida, D., Fox, K., Tranby, E., Oakes, J.M., Casper, L. (2015). Is work-family conflict a multi-level stressor linking job conditions to mental health? Evidence from the Work Family and Health Network. Research in the Sociology of Work: Work &Family in the New Economy, 26,177-217.
Moldavan M, Cravetchi O, Williams M, Irwin RP, Aicher SA, et al. Localization and expression of GABA transporters in the suprachiasmatic nucleus. The European journal of neuroscience. 2015;42(12):3018-32. NIHMSID: NIHMS725000
Morris CJ, Yang JN, Garcia JI, Myers S, Bozzi I, Wang W, Buxton OM, Shea SA, Scheer FA. Endogenous circadian system and circadian misalignment impact glucose tolerance via separate mechanisms in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015 Apr 28;112(17):E2225-34. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1418955112. Epub 2015 Apr 13.
Moyer JR, Deyo RA, Disterhoft JF. Hippocampectomy disrupts trace eye-blink conditioning in rabbits. Behav Neurosci. 2015 Aug;129(4):523-32. doi: 10.1037/bne0000079.
Olson, R., Crain, T. L., Bodner, T., King, R., Hammer, L., Klein, L. C., Erickson, L., Moen, P., Berkman, L., &Buxton, O. M. (2015). A workplace intervention improves actigraphic sleep duration in a randomized, controlled study: Results from the Work, Family, and Health Network. Sleep Health, 1, 55-65. doi:10.1016/j.sleh.2014.11.003
Olson R, Wright RR, Elliot DL, Hess JA, Thompson S, Buckmaster A, Luther K, Wipfli B. The COMPASS pilot study: a total worker Health™intervention for home care workers. J Occup Environ Med. 2015 Apr;57(4):406-16. doi: 10.1097/JOM.0000000000000374.
Ports, K.A., Haffejee, F., Mosavel, M., Rameshbabu, A. (in press). Integrating Cervical Cancer Prevention Initiatives with HIV Care in Resource-Constrained Settings: A Formative Study on Durban, South Africa. Global Public Health: An International Journal for Research, Policy, and Practice. 2015;10(10):1238-51. doi: 10.1080/17441692.2015.1008021. Epub 2015 Feb 5.
Raber J, Marzulla T, Stewart B, Kronenberg A, Turker MS. 28Silicon Irradiation Impairs Contextual Fear Memory in B6D2F1 Mice. Radiation research. 2015;183(6):708-12.
Raber J, Marzulla T, Kronenberg A, Turker MS. (16)Oxygen irradiation enhances cued fear memory in B6D2F1 mice. Life sciences in space research. 2015;7:61-5.Rahman SA, Castanon-Cervantes O, Scheer FA, Shea SA, Czeisler CA, Davidson AJ, Lockley SW. Endogenous circadian regulation of pro-inflammatory cytokines and chemokines in the presence of bacterial lipopolysaccharide in humans.Brain Behav Immun. 2015 Jul;47:4-13. doi: 10.1016/j.bbi.2014.11.003. Epub 2014 Nov 13.
Singleton ST, Lein PJ, Dadson OA, McGarrigle BP, Farahat FM, Farahat T, Bonner MR, Fenske RA, Galvin K, Lasarev MR, Anger WK, Rohlman DS, Olson JR. Longitudinal assessment of occupational exposures to the organophosphorous insecticides chlorpyrifos and profenofos in Egyptian cotton field workers. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2015 Mar;218(2):203-11. doi: 10.1016/j.ijheh.2014.10.005. Epub 2014 Nov 7.
Spencer, P. S., Garner, C. E., Palmer, V. S. &Kisby, G. E. Environmental Neurotoxins Linked to a Prototypical Neurodegenerative Disease. Environmental Factors in Neurodevelopmental and Neurodegenerative Disorders. Elsevier Inc., p. 211-252.
Spencer, P. S., Palmer, V. S. &Mazumder, R. Probable toxic cause for suspected Lychee-linked viral encephalitis Emerging Infectious Diseases. 21, 5, p. 904-905.
Swanson CM, Shea SA, Stone KL, Cauley JA, Rosen CJ, Redline S, Karsenty G, Orwoll ES. Obstructive sleep apnea and metabolic bone disease: insights into the relationship between bone and sleep. J Bone Miner Res. 2015 Feb;30(2):199-211. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.2446.Thosar SS, Wiggins CC, Shea SA, Wallace JP. Brachial artery endothelial function is stable across the morning in young men. Cardiovasc Ultrasound. 2015 Oct 5;13:42. doi: 10.1186/s12947-015-0036-1.
Truxillo, D. M., Cadiz, D. E., &Hammer, L. B. (2015). Supporting the aging workforce: A review and recommendations for workplace intervention research. Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior, 2, 351–81.
Turner JA, Comstock BA, Standaert CJ, Heagerty PJ, Jarvik JG, Deyo RA, Wasan AD, Nedeljkovic SS, Friedly JL. Can patient characteristics predict benefit from epidural corticosteroid injections for lumbar spinal stenosis symptoms? Spine J. 2015 Nov 1;15(11):2319-31. doi: 10.1016/j.spinee.2015.06.050. Epub 2015 Jun 19.
Varlamov O, Chu M, Cornea A, Sampath H, Roberts CT Jr. Cell-autonomous heterogeneity of nutrient uptake in white adipose tissue of rhesus macaques. Endocrinology. 2015 Jan;156(1):80-9. doi: 10.1210/en.2014-1699.
Zubair MM, Bailly DK, Lantz G, Sunstrom RE, Saharan S, Boshkov LK, Sochacki P, Roger Hohimer A, Lasarev MR, Langley SM. Preoperative platelet dysfunction predicts blood product transfusion in children undergoing cardiac surgery. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2015 Jan;20(1):24-30. doi: 10.1093/icvts/ivu315. Epub 2014 Oct 3.
Zubair MM, Hohimer AR, Bailly DK, Muralidaran A, Madriago EJ, Zubair MH, Lasarev MR, Langley SM. High flow velocity through congenital cardiac lesions predicts preoperative platelet dysfunction. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015 Apr;99(4):1379-85. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2014.10.039. Epub 2015 Feb 7.
Zuloaga DG, Iancu OD, Weber S, Etzel D, Marzulla T, Stewart B, Allen CN, Raber J. Enhanced functional connectivity involving the ventromedial hypothalamus following methamphetamine exposure. Frontiers in neuroscience. 2015;9:326.
Chang HC, Sun T, Sultana N, Lim MM, Khan TH, Ismail AF. Conductive PEDOT:PSS coated polylactide (PLA) and poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) (PHBV) electrospun membranes: Fabrication and characterization. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2016 Apr 1;61:396-410. doi: 10.1016/j.msec.2015.12.074. Epub 2015 Dec 31
DePasquale, N., Davis, K.D., Zarit, S.H., K., Moen, P., Hammer, L.B., &Almeida,D.M. (2016). Combining formal and informal caregiving roles: The psychosocial implications of double-and triple-duty care. Journals of Gerontology, Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 71(2), 201-211. doi:10.1093/geronb/gbu139.
Deyo RA. Can Parsimonious Practice Please Patients and Practitioners? The Case of Spine Imaging. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Feb;31(2):140-1. doi: 10.1007/s11606-015-3523-z.
Enthoven WT, Roelofs PD, Deyo RA, van Tulder MW, Koes BW. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for chronic low back pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016 Feb 10;2:CD012087. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD012087. Review.
Johnson EA, Zubair MM, Armsby LR, Burch GH, Good MK, Lasarev MR, Hohimer AR, Muralidaran A, Langley SM. Surgical Quality Predicts Length of Stay in Patients with Congenital Heart Disease. Pediatr Cardiol. 2016 Jan 7. [Epub ahead of print]
Lam DJ, Weaver EM, Macarthur CJ, Milczuk HA, O'Neill E, Smith TL, Nguyen T, Shea SA. Assessment of pediatric obstructive sleep apnea using a drug-induced sleep endoscopy rating scale. Laryngoscope. 2016 Jan 17. doi: 10.1002/lary.25842. [Epub ahead of print]
Lane JM, Chang AM, Bjonnes AC, Aeschbach D, Anderson C, Cade BE, Cain SW, Czeisler CA, Gharib SA, Gooley JJ, Gottlieb DJ, Grant SF, Klerman EB, Lauderdale DS, Lockley SW, Munch M, Patel S, Punjabi NM, Rajaratnam SM, Rueger M, St Hilaire MA, Santhi N, Scheuermaier K, Van Reen E, Zee PC, Shea SA, Duffy JF, Buxton OM, Redline S, Scheer FA, Saxena R. Impact of common diabetes risk variant in MTNR1B on sleep, circadian and melatonin physiology. Diabetes. 2016 Feb 11. pii: db150999. [Epub ahead of print]
Lim MM, Ju YE. A reply to "To travel or not to travel: The modern day struggle of the academic researcher". Ann Neurol. 2016 Feb;79(2):333. doi: 10.1002/ana.24589. Epub 2016 Jan 18. No abstract available.
Marshall LM, Litwack-Harrison S, Cawthon PM, Kado DM, Deyo RA, Makris UE, Carlson HL, Nevitt MC;Study of Osteoporotic Fractures (SOF) Research Group. A Prospective Study of Back Pain and Risk of Falls Among Older Community-dwelling Women. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016 Jan 12. pii: glv225. [Epub ahead of print]
Olson R, Thompson SV, Wipfli B, Hanson G, Elliot DL, Anger WK, Bodner T, Hammer LB, Hohn E, Perrin NA. Sleep, Dietary, and Exercise Behavioral Clusters Among Truck Drivers With Obesity: Implications for Interventions. J Occup Environ Med. 2016 Mar;58(3):314-321.
Olson, R, Varga, A, Cannon, A, Jones, J, Gilbert-Jones, I, Zoller, E (2016). Toolbox talks to prevent construction fatalities: Empirical development and Evaluation. Science Safety 86:122-131.
Parish M, Rohlman DS, Elliot DL, Lasarev M. Factors associated with occupational injuries in seasonal young workers. Occup Med (Lond). 2016 Mar;66(2):164-7. doi: 10.1093/occmed/kqv183. Epub 2015 Nov 8.
Penney LS, Ritenbaugh C, Elder C, Schneider J, Deyo RA, DeBar LL. Primary care physicians, acupuncture and chiropractic clinicians, and chronic pain patients: a qualitative analysis of communication and care coordination patterns. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2016 Jan 25;16(1):30. doi: 10.1186/s12906-016-1005-4.
Rajhbeharrysingh U, El Youssef J, Leon E, Lasarev MR, Klein R, Vanek C, Mattar S, Berber E, Siperstein A, Shindo M, Milas M. Expanding the net: The re-evaluation of the multidimensional nomogram calculating the upper limit of normal PTH (maxPTH) in the setting of secondary hyperparathyroidism and the development of the MultIdimensional Predictive hyperparaTHyroid model (Mi-PTH). Surgery. 2016 Jan;159(1):226-39. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2015.09.006. Epub 2015 Oct 31.