Oregon Health Care Provider Loan Repayment
- Dentists in general or pediatric practice;
- Expanded Practice Dental Hygienists;
- Physicians (MD, DO or ND) who practice in the specialties of family medicine or general practice, general internal medicine, geriatrics, pediatrics, or obstetrics and gynecology;
- Nurse Practitioners who practice in the specialties of adult primary care, women's health care, geriatrics, pediatrics, psychiatric mental health, family practice, or nurse midwifery;
- Physician Assistants who practice in the specialties of family medicine or general practice, general internal medicine, geriatrics, pediatrics or obstetrics and gynecology;
- General, child and adolescent or geriatric Psychiatrists;
- Clinical Psychologists;
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers;
- Licensed Professional Counselors;
- Licensed Marriage or Family Therapists
Eligible Practice Sites
To qualify a site must:
- Be located in a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA), or have a Facility HSPA; AND
- Be serving Medicaid and Medicare patients in no less than the same proportion of such patients in the county; AND
- Have a Site Application on file with the Oregon Office of Rural Health and have received confirmation of site qualification.
If a majority of providers at a site are not eligible for reimbursement from both Medicaid and Medicare the site may qualify if it is located in a HPSA and serves either Medicaid or Medicare patients in no less the same proportion of such patients in the county.
Site Applications are valid for one year.
In exchange for service at a qualified practice site, participants receive funds to repay qualifying graduate-level, (or for expanded practice dental hygienists, undergraduate-level) loan debt. Awards are calculated based on the balance owed on qualifying loans upon program entry.
Full time service providers must commit to a 3 year minimum service obligation in exchange for a tax free award of 50% of their qualifying educational loan debt balance, up to $35,000 per obligation year.
Part time service providers must commit to a 3 year minimum service obligation in exchange for a tax free award of 25% of their qualifying educational loan debt balance, up to $25,000 per obligation year.
Completed Oregon Health Care Provider Loan Repayment applications, and all required attachments, must be submitted no later than close of business on August 3rd. Applications received after August 3rd, or applications that are deemed to be incomplete on that date, will be rolled over to the next review cycle. The next review cycle opens August 4th and closes October 26th.
Handwritten applications will not be reviewed. Applicants must use the fillable PDF or otherwise type out their application. Email (email@example.com) is the preferred method of submission to ensure applications retain legibility, however providers may fax their completed application to 503-494-4798.
Providers may apply a total of 3 times to Oregon Health Care Provider Loan Repayment. If a provider applies to a cycle and is not chosen for an award they may request their application to be rolled over to the next review cycle. Providers wishing to roll over their application to the next review cycle are required to email firstname.lastname@example.org with their request along with updated educational loan documentation dated within 30 days of the request.
Contact the Office of Rural Health at email@example.com | 503-494-4450 | toll free: 866-674-4376