What is MedStars?
MedStars is a summer residential experience at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) designed to help high school students learn how to pursue a health care career. MedStars is sponsored by the Area Health Education Centers Program Office.
When is MedStars?
MedStars will be held July 2015. Exact dates to be announced.
Who should attend MedStars?
- High school students who have completed their junior or senior year of high school (ages 16-19) are eligible.
- Students from rural communities who have demonstrated their interest in a health career by participating in other health careers programs or volunteer activities.
- Acceptance is based on the application and letters of recommendation.
What does MedStars cost?
- Tuition is $300 (plus a $50 application fee which is refundable if you are not accepted or if you are accepted and receive a scholarship), which includes four nights' lodging, meals, and transportation while in the program, plus program materials.
- A limited number of scholarships are available.
- Contact the regional AHEC office for your area to inquire about a scholarship.
What will I do at MedStars?
- During program activities, you will gain an understanding of the work environment of a health-care provider.
- You will observe the variety of roles within a health-care team and identify their importance within the patient-care setting.
- You will reinforce your learning experiences through hands-on activities.
- After completing the experience, you will have a better understanding of your skills and the ability to apply those skills to achieve your life goals.
See a sample student agenda for an idea of how you will spend your time during the experience.
How do I apply for MedStars?
Information on applications and due dates will be available in early 2015.