Traci Rieckmann, PhD
Research Assistant Professor
BS Technical Journalism, Oregon State University
MS Health Promotion and Education, University of Utah
PhD Counseling Psychology, University of Utah
Areas of Research/Scholarly Interest:
Implementation, adaptation and clinical evaluation of evidence-based practice in substance abuse treatment. Emphasis on diverse populations, translational research and improving the quality of care through increased access, effectiveness, retention and systems-wide change designed to improve services.
Qualitative and Mixed Methods in Health Services Research
This course examines various qualitative and mixed methods used in health services research. A broad range of topics are included in the readings, class discussion, and student presentations. This is a course focused on methods and application of qualitative research strategies within health services and clinical research.
Summer Research Training Institute for American Indian and Alaska Native Health Professionals:
Alcohol and Drug Disorders Among American Indians and Alaskan Natives (June 2008; 2010). The one week course examines the epidemiology of alcohol and drug disorders: morbidity and mortality, community indicators, quality of treatment, and use of evidence-based practices. Students develop an indicator data base that they can implement in their community.
- Rieckmann, T, Kovas, A & Rutkowski, B. (accepted for publication). Adoption of medications in substance abuse treatment: state authority priorities and strategies. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs.
- Rieckmann, T. Fussell, H., Doyle, K., Ford, J., & Riley, K. (accepted for publication). Adolescent substance abuse treatment: Organizational change and quality of care. Journal of Addictions & Offender Counseling.
- Rieckmann, TR, Fuller, BE, Saedi, GA, & McCarty, D. (2010). Adoption of practice guidelines and assessment tools in substance abuse treatment. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy, 5(4). PMID: 20346158
- Rieckmann, T. R., Kovas, AE, Fussell, HE, & Stettler, NM. (2009). Implementation of Evidence Based Practices for Treatment of Alcohol and Drug Disorders: The Role of the State Authority. Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research, 36(4), 407-419. PMID: 18543111.
- Steverson, J.W., & Rieckmann, T. (2009). Legislating for the Provision of Comprehensive Substance Abuse Treatment Programs for Pregnant and Mothering Women. The Duke Journal of Gender Law & Policy,16, 314 – 346.
- Tracy, K., Brown, LS., Kritz, S.A., Alderson, D., Robinson, J., Bini, EJ., Levy, MS., Calsyn, DA., Rieckmann, TR., Fuller, BE., McAuliffe, P., & Rotrosen, J. (2009). Substance abuse treatment clinician opinions and infectious disease service delivery. Journal of Addictive Diseases, 28(1), 8-12. PMID: 19197590
- Riley, KJ., Rieckmann, TR, & McCarty, D. (2008). Implementation of MET/CBT-5 for adolescents, Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research, 35(3), 304-14. PMID: 18493858.
- Evans, A., Rieckmann, T., Fitzgerald, M., & Gustafson, D. (2007). Teaching the NIATx model of process improvement as an evidence-based process. Journal of Teaching in the Addictions, 6(2), 19-35.
- Fuller, B.E., Rieckmann, T., Nunes, E.V., Miller, M., Arfken, C., Edmundson, E. & McCarty, D. (2007). Organizational readiness for change and opinions toward treatment innovations. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 33, 183 - 192. PMID: 17434708.
- Rieckmann, T., Daley, M., Fuller, B., Thomas, C., & McCarty, D. (2007) Client and counselor attitudes toward the use of medications. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 32, 207– 215. PMID: 17306729.
- Fuller B., Rieckmann T., McCarty D., Ringor-Carty R., & Kennard S. (2006). Elimination of Methadone in the Oregon Health Plan: Patient impacts. Psychiatric Services, 57, 686-691. PMID: 16675764.
- Fuller B., Rieckmann T., McCarty D, Smith KW, Levine H. (2005). Adoption of naltrexone to treat alcohol dependence. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 28(3), 273-280. PMID: 15857728.
- Rieckmann, T., Wadsworth, M.E., & Deyhle, D. (2004). Cultural identity, explanatory style and depression in Navajo Adolescents. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 10(4), 365-382.
- Edmundson, E., Rieckmann, T. & Edmundson P. (2004). Characteristics of academic
- education programs for addiction practitioners. Journal of Teaching in the Addictions, 3(2), 29-39.
- Wadsworth, ME., Rieckmann, TR., Benson, MA., and Compas, BE., (2004). Coping and responses to stress in Navajo adolescents. Psychometric properties of the Responses to Stress Questionnaire. Journal of Community Psychology, 32(4), 391-411.
- McCarty, D., Rieckmann, T., Green, C., Gallon,S., Knudsen, J. (2004). Training rural practitioners to use buprenorphine: Using The Change Book to facilitate technology transfer. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 26, 203-208. PMID 15063914.
- Scheel, M.J. and Rieckmann, T. (1998). An empirically derived description of self-efficacy and empowerment for parents and children identified as psychologically disordered. American Journal of Family Therapy, 26(1) 15-27.
- McCarty, D & Rieckmann, T. (2010). The Treatment System for Alcohol and Drug Disorders. In B. Levin, K.D. Hennessy, & J. Petrila (Eds.) Mental Health Services: A Public Health Perspective, Third Edition. (pp. 409 – 436). Oxford University Press: New York.
- Rieckmann, T., & Durrant, L. (2007). Facilitating Support Groups. In R. Bensley, and J. Brookins Fisher, Community Health Education Methods: A Practitioners Guide, 2nd Ed. (pp. 109-136). Jones & Bartlett. Sudbury, MA.
- Durrant, L. & Rieckmann, T. (2002). Facilitating Support Groups. In R. Bensley, and J. Brookins Fisher, Community Health Education Methods: A Practitioners Guide. (pp. 109-136). Jones & Bartlett. Sudbury, MA.
- Gloria, A. M., Rieckmann, T. & Rush, J. (2000). Issues and recommendations for teaching an ethnic/culture-based course. Teaching of Psychology, 27(2) 102-107.
- Under Review:
- Rieckmann TR, Kovas AE, Cassidy EF, McCarty D. (under review). State Policy and Purchasing Levers to Accelerate Use of Evidence-Based Practices for Alcohol and Drug Treatment. Manuscript submitted to Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research.
- Fussell, H., Rieckmann, T., & Quick, MB. (under review). Medicaid Reimbursement for Screening and Brief Intervention of Substance Misuse. Manuscript submitted to Psychiatric Services.
- Rieckmann, T., Farentinos, C., Tillotson, CJ., Kocarnik, J., & McCarty, D. (under review). The Substance abuse counseling workforce: Education, preparation, and certification. Manuscript submitted to Substance Abuse.
- Ford, J., Edmundson, E., Evans, A., Rieckmann, T., Molfenter, T., & McCarty, D. (under review). Leading agency change: personal and organizational challenges for change leaders. Manuscript submitted to Journal of Behavioral Health Services Research.
- Bergmann, L., & Rieckmann, T. (under review). Legislating Clinical Practice: Counselor Responses to an Evidence Based Practice Mandate. Manuscript submitted to Qualitative Social Work.