Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellowship
The OHSU Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellowship started in 1982. OHSU is the
only academic medical center in Oregon, and its hospital and associated clinics
are expanding rapidly. The main campus is located near downtown Portland with a
beautiful view of Mt. Hood and the Willamette River.
We seek fellows dedicated to a career in academics that have the potential for substantial contributions to MFM through research and/or education. This program strives to position fellows for career success through a balanced mix of extensive clinical training and research training. Fellows have the opportunity to be involved in either clinical and/or basic science research. Mentorship is provided by the MFM fellowship planning group that includes fellowship director Antonio Frias, M.D., assistant fellowship director Brian Shaffer, M.D., division chief Leonardo Pereira, M.D. M.C.R., and department chair Aaron Caughey, M.D. Ph.D.
- Fellows teach residents and health professional students and have the opportunity to develop and strengthen mentorship skills.
- Fellows take call from home, but are expected to be first-call when on call with the support of attending backup to serve as MFM consultants to OHSU and the greater medical community.
- The OHSU MFM faculty is dedicated to providing strong mentorship for the fellow.
- Fellows are offered opportunities to further develop as academic clinicians including lecturing, participating in writing literature reviews, acting as manuscript reviewers, and pursuing either a Master's degree or a certificate in research.
- Fellows enjoy protected time to attend conferences, sit for the general OB/GYN oral board exam, and other opportunities for professional development in MFM (such as the Perinatal Research Society Young Investigators workshop and NICHD Young Investigators Conference).
- The opportunity to see how accurate "Portlandia" actually is
while living in one of the most beautiful parts of the county.
Download an example of a fellowship schedule.
Questions and application
One of the perks about a fellowship at OHSU is living in a vibrant city in a state rich with recreational opportunities and unsurpassed natural beauty. Here are some useful links to reference during your stay in Portland: