Elizabeth Eckstrom, M.D., M.P.H.
Professor and Director of Geratrics
Division of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics
Education and Training
Doctor of Medicine, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Master's in Public Health, University of Washington-Seattle
Internal Medicine, MacNeal Hospital/Rush-Pres-St. Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, IL
Internal Medicine, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland
General Internal Medicine, VA Medical Center/Oregon Health Sciences University
Geratric Medicine, Oregon Health Sciences University
Elizabeth Eckstrom, MD, MPH, is Professor and Director of Geriatrics in the Division of General Internal Medicine & Geriatrics at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU). She leads the geriatrics practice within the OHSU Internal Medicine Clinic, championing geriatric best practices in the vibrant combined Division, and teaches students, residents and geriatric fellows. She is part of the OHSU Interprofessional Initiative, developing evaluation tools and leading interprofessional faculty development. Her research focuses on promoting a healthy lifestyle in older adults, with an emphasis on tai chi for falls prevention. She also conducts studies to enhance interprofessional teamwork in falls prevention and has developed and tested electronic health record tools to facilitate uptake of evidence-based practices. She co-directs OHSU's Healthy Aging Alliance.
Internal Medicine, Geriatrics
My research interests include tai chi for falls prevention, primary care provider faculty development in geriatrics, and ambulatory practice reform for general internal medicine and geriatrics.
Recent Research Projects
- Healthy Aging Alliance
The OHSU Healthy Aging Alliance seeks to promote healthy aging through partnerships, discovery, education, and outreach. We engage in team-based translational research to truly change the aging trajectory toward health and quality of life.
Selected Research Publications
- Lee, DSH, Markwardt, S, Goeres, L, Lee, CG, Eckstrom, E, Williams, C, Fu, R, Orwoll, E, Cawthon, PM, Stefanick, ML, Mackey, D, Bauer, DC, Nielson, CM, Statins and Physical Activity in Older Men: The Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study, JAMA Intern Med. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.2266.
- Day, H, Eckstrom, E, Lee, S, Wald, H, Counsell, S, Rich, E, Optimizing Health for Complex Adults in Primary Care: Current Challenges and a Way Forward, JGIM, 2014; 29(6): 911-14: DOI: 10.1007/s11606-013-2749-x.
- Li, F, Harmer, P, Fitzgerald, K, Eckstrom, E, Stock, R, Galver, J, Maddalozzo, G, Batya, SS, Tai Chi Enhances Postural Stability in Parkinson's Disease Patients, NEJM, 2012;366:511-9.
- Li, F., Harmer, P., Fisher, K John, McAuley, E., Chaumeton, N. Eckstrom, E., & Wilson, N. L. Tai Chi and Fall Reductions in Older Adults: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences, 2005; 60A(2):187-194.
- Lin, JS, Whitlock, EP, Eckstrom, E, Fu, R, Perdue, LP, Beil, TL, Leipzig, RM, Challenges in Synthesizing and Interpreting the Evidence from a Systematic Review of Multifactorial Interventions to Prevent Functional Decline in Older Adults, Article first published online: 16 OCT 2012 | DOI: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2012.04214.x.
- Eckstrom, E, Feeny, DH, Walter, LC, Perdue, LA, Whitlock, EP, Individualizing Cancer Screening in Older Adults: A Narrative Review and Framework for Future Research, JGIM, 2013: 28 (2):292-298; doi:10.1007/s11606-012-2227-x.
- Feeny, D, Huguet, N, McFarland, BH, Kaplan, MS, Orpana, H, Eckstrom, E, Hearing, Mobility, and Pain Predict Mortality: A Longitudinal Population-Based Study, J Clinical Epidemiol, 2012:65:764-777.
- Lin, JS, O'Connor, E, Rossum, RC, Perdue, LP, Eckstrom, E, Screening for Cognitive Impairment in Older Adults: A Systematic Review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, Annals of Intern Med,2013;159:601-612: doi:10.7326/0003-4819-159-9-201311050-00730.
- Feeny DH, Eckstrom E, Whitlock EP, Perdue LA. A Primer for Systematic Reviewers on the Measurement of Functional Status and Health-Related Quality of Life in Older Adults. (Prepared by the Kaiser Permanente Research Affiliates Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2007-10057-I.) AHRQ Publication No. 13-EHC128-EF. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. September 2013.
- Deyo, RA, Ramsey, K, Buckley, DI, Michaels, L, Kobus, A, Eckstrom, E, Forro, V, Morris, M, Performance of a Patient Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) Short Form in Older Adults with Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain. Pain Medicine. 2016. Vol. 17,Issue 2, DOI: 10.1093/pm/pnv046
- Li, Fuzhong, Eckstrom, E,Harmer, P, Fitzgerald, K, Voit, J, Cameron, JA, Exercise and Fall Prevention: Narrowing the Research-to-Practice Gap and Enhancing Integration of Clinical and Community Practice. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016. 64:425–431. DOI:10.1111/jgs.13925
- Weiss, JW, Platt, RW, Thorp, ML, Yang, X, Smith, DH, Petrik, A, Eckstrom, E, Morris, C, O'Hare, AM, and Johnson, ES. Predicting Mortality in Older Adults with Kidney Disease: A Pragmatic Prediction Model, JAGS,2015;63(3):508-15. DOI: 10.1111/jgs.13257
- Goeres L, Williams CD, Eckstrom, E, Lee DSH. Pharmacotherapy for Hypertension in Older Adults, A Systematic Review. Drugs and Aging. 2014 Dec;31(12):897-910. DOI10.1007/s40266-014-0219-8
My clinical interests focus on promoting a healthy lifestyle in older adults and managing illness and geriatric syndromes using a person-centered, team directed approach. My goal is to partner with my patients to help optimize quality of life and meet their life goals.
Selected Clinical Publications
- Cayea, D, Eckstrom, E, Christmas, C, Update in Geriatric Medicine, JGIM, 2012: 27(3):371-5.
- Eckstrom, E, "Getting your staff on Board," in Geriatric Care by Design: A Clinician's Handbook to Meet the Needs of Older Adults through Environmental and Practice Redesign . Chicago, Ill: American Medical Association; 2011.
- Day, HD, Eckstrom, E, Sullivan, GM, Update in Geriatric Medicine, JGIM 2009; 24 (3): 421-6.
- Singer, C, Luxenberg, J, Eckstrom, E. "Older Patients," in Behavioral Medicine: A Guide for Clinical Practice Third Edition. New York: McGraw Hill; 2008: 90-99.
- Phelan, EA, Aerts, S, Dowler, D, Eckstrom, E, Casey, CM, Adoption of Evidence-Based Fall Prevention Practices in Primary Care for Older Adults with a History of Falls. Frontiers in Public Health.4:190. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2016.00190.
- Casey, C.M., Parker, E., Winkler, G., Liu, X., Lambert, G., & Eckstrom, E, Lessons learned from implementing CDC's STEADI falls prevention algorithm in primary care. The Gerontologist, 2016. 00, 1-10. doi:10.1093/geront/gnw074. Advance Access publication April 29, 2016.
My teaching focus is in interprofessional education and geriatrics teaching for all health professions.
Selected Education and Practice Reform Publications
- Chang, A, Fernandez, H, Cayea, D, Chheda, S, Paniagua, M, Eckstrom, E, and Day, H, Complexity in Graduate Medical Education: A Collaborative Education Agenda for Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, JGIM, 2014;29(6):940-6: DOI: 10.1007/s11606-013-2752-2.
- Boise, L, Eckstrom, E, Fagnan, L, King, A, Gouboud, M, Buckley DI, Morris, C, The Rural Older Adult Memory Study (ROAM): A Practice-Based Intervention to Improve Dementia Screening and Diagnosis, JABFM 2010; 23:486-498.
- Eckstrom, E, Desai, SS, Hunter, AJ, Allen, E, Tanner, CE, Lucas, LM, Joseph, CL, Ririe, MR, Doak, MN, Humphrey, LL, Bowen, JL, Aiming to Improve Care of Older Adults: An Innovative Faculty Development Workshop, JGIM 2008; 23 (7): 1053-6.
- Williams, BC, Weber, V, Babbott, SF, Kirk, LM, Heflin, MT, O'Toole, E, Schapira, MM,
- Eckstrom, E, Tulsky, A, Wolf, AM, Landefeld, S, Faculty Development for the 21st Century: Lessons from the SGIM-Hartford Collaborative Centers for the Care of Older Adults, JAGS 2007; 55:941-947.
- Eckstrom, E, Homer, L, Bowen, JL, Measuring outcomes of a One-Minute Preceptor Faculty Development Workshop, JGIM 2006; 21 (5): 410-414.
- Tanner, CE, Eckstrom, E, Desai, SS, Joseph, CL, Ririe, MR, Bowen, JL, Uncovering Frustrations: A Qualitative Needs Assessment of Academic General Internists as Geriatric Care Providers and Teachers, JGIM 2006; 21 (1): 51-55.
- Bowen, JL, Eckstrom, E, Muller, M, Haney, E, Enhancing the Effectiveness of One-Minute Preceptor Faculty Development Workshops, Teaching and Learning in Medicine 2006; 18 (1): 35-41.
- Bowen, JL, Salerno, SM, Chamberlain, J, Eckstrom, E, Chen, HL, Brandenberg, S, Changing Habits of Practice. Transforming Internal Medicine Residency Education in Ambulatory Settings, JGIM 2005; 20 (12): 1181-7.
- Braddock, C, Eckstrom, E, Haidet, P, The "New Revolution" In Medical Education: Fostering Professionalism And Patient-Centered Communication In The Contemporary Environment, JGIM, 2004; 19 (5p2):610-611.
- Eckstrom, E, Hickam, DH, Lessler, DS, Buchner, DM, Changing Physician Practice of Physical Activity Counseling, JGIM, 1999;14:376-78.
Lasater, K, Cotrell, V, McKenzie, G, Simonson, W, Morgove, M, Eckstrom, E, Collaborative Falls Prevention: Team Formation, Implementation, and Evaluation, J Contin Educ Nurs. 2016;47(12):545-50 doi:10.3928/00220124-20161115-07
Eckstrom, E, Neal, MD, Cotrell, V, Casey, CM, McKenzie, G, Morgove, M, DeLander, GE, Simonson, W,Lasater, K, An Interprofessional Approach to Reducing the Risk of Falls through Enhanced Collaborative Practice. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016.64:1701-1707.DOI:10.1111/jgs.14178
Tilden, V.P., Eckstrom, E. & Dieckmann, N.F, Development of the assessment for collaborative environments (ACE-15): A tool to measure perceptions of interprofessional "teamness." 2016. Journal of Interprofessional Care,30(3), 288-294. DOI 10.3109/13561820.2015.1137891
McKenzie, G, Lasater, K, DeLander, GE, Neal, MB, Morgove, M, Eckstrom, E, Falls Prevention Education: Interprofessional Training to Enhance Collaborative Practice, Gerontology and Geriatric Education. 2017.2:232-243.DOI:10.1080/02701960.2015.1127809
Casey, C.M., Salinas, K., Eckstrom, E. EHR Tools to Care for At-Risk Older Drivers: A Quality Improvement Project. Gerontologist. 2015. Vol. 55, No. S1, S128–S139. doi:10.1093/geront/gnv021