Troubleshooting and Repairs
MMI retains an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician to perform repairs on all Apple hardware. In-warranty repairs are performed for no cost, and out-of-warranty repairs are performed for the price of the part. All repairs are performed in-house in an ESD-safe environment with proper tools, and the department maintains a suite of applications to aid in troubleshooting. Performing repairs in-house saves you time (you don’t need to bring your computer to the Apple Store), money (out of warranty repairs are charged just for the part with no labor charge), and provides peace of mind (computers are kept within the department and not left at a store with your sensitive data).
MMI has purchased licenses for department run backup software, which is Mac, PC, and Linux compatible. Most files in your home folder (which including your desktop and documents folder) are automatically backed up every 60 minutes as long as your computer is plugged into the OHSU network or connected to Hawkeye. Computers off campus are not backed up but we are currently working on a solution. Please contact Mark Pienpakdee if your computer is not currently being backed up and you would like to be included.
Hardware & Software Recommendations
Looking to purchase a new computer, or some accessories? Here are some currently recommended items, please see Mark Pienpakdee if you need help with purchasing.
All computers must be purchased through Mark Pienpakdee. Please contact Mark to discuss your needs and to begin the purchasing process.
Printers that plug into the OHSU network via Ethernet must be purchased through Mark Pienpakdee. Please contact Mark to discuss your needs and to begin the purchasing process. Printers that will not be networked (ie. printers connected directly to your computer) or for use at home that are recommended are the Xerox Phaser 3250 and the HP LaserJet Pro CP1025nw Color Printer.
External Portable Hard Drive
External Desktop Hard Drive
USB Flash Drive
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I change my email password?If you know your current password and need to change it before it expires, there is an easy way to do so through the OHSU webmail:
- login to OHSU webmail
- click on "options" in the upper right corner
- click on "change password" on the left hand column
- type your current password once, then your new password in the next two fields
- click on the blue floppy disk icon
If you have been logged out of webmail after clicking save, your password has been successfully changed.
What if I forgot my password?
How do I connect to the OHSU secure WiFi, Hawkeye?
PC: Windows instructions via ITG.
Mac (10.4, 10.5, 10.6):
- Select the Airport icon in the upper right corner of the screen
- Select "other" as the network
- Type "hawkeye" for the network name, and your OHSU login information for the username/password
- (optional) you may have to accept an "untrusted" certificate from OHSU or type your computer password, depending on what version OS X your Mac is running and its configuration
Mac (10.7 "Lion"): 10.7 does not currently support Hawkeye without advanced configuration.
How do I connect my computer to a department printer?
Mac (10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7)
- It is highly recommended that you get the Xerox software for each model printer before attempting to install a printer
- Navigate to system preferences and select "print & fax" or "print & scan" depending on your version of OS X
- Click the + icon in the lower left corner of the window (you may have to click the padlock icon in the lower left if your preferences are locked)
- Select the "IP" tab and In the address field, use one of the listed addresses below to add the printer you would like to use
- XRX85CF6F.ohsu.edu (MMI Grad Student Xerox Phaser 4400DT - b/w laser, duplex)
- CETA107P.ohsu.edu (MMI Office Xerox Phaser 6250N - color laser)
- MMIOFFICE.ohsu.edu (MMI Office Xerox Phaser 4510DN - b/w laser, duplex)
- In the name field, you may want to type a more meaningful name for each printer you add
How do I get Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop?
OHSU gets special pricing on the Adobe Creative Suite as well as many other programs. See Mark Pienpakdee for more information regarding this.