Admissions Decisions for Fall 2014 have been finalized. Students who have been invited to join PMCB have been notified.
Applications for the 2015 Academic Year will be open on September 1st.
Click HERE for answers to Commonly Asked Questions.
Diversity, a defining feature of our university, refers to the variety of personal experiences, values, and worldviews that arise from differences of culture and circumstance. Such differences include race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, language, abilities/disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic status, geographic region, and more. Without diversity we cannot achieve excellence in our academic mission. PMCB is able to provide appropriate accommodations during the application and interview process if requested. Please contact the Program Coordinator for more information.
Invitation only recruitment visit dates for 2015
Tentative: Feb. 8-11, 2015
Applications & Requirements
Application Instructions and On-Line Application
International applicants may be asked to provide World Education Services (WES) International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) credential evaluations for all foreign colleges attended. Please consult with the WES's website for instructions and fees at www.wes.org. You are responsible for the full cost of this service. International applicants from ALL countries of origin will need to complete this service. If you have already completed a similar credential evaluation through WES or another company, the Graduate Studies Office may evaluate on a case-by-case basis whether a WES ICAP will be needed.
Suggested Undergraduate Courses
- General Biology,
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Calculus I.
A complete application consists of:
- On-Line application.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended.
- GRE scores (general test) no more than 5 years old.
- TOEFL scores (for international students whose native language is not English) no more than 2 years old.
- GRE & TOEFL: Program codes are 4865 (Oregon Hlth Sci U Sch Medicine), no department code or specialty tests required. It is the applicant's responsibility to insure proper coding for these tests. Improper coding will cause delays and may cause difficulties with application review.
- Letters of reference a minimum of three required from individuals who can address the applicant's potential for research and graduate studies play an important role in the admission process. Request recommendations from persons who have a thorough knowledge of your background and qualifications.
- Complete all essay questions on the application. Remember, if you need time to organize your answers, you can log out of the application and proceed at a later date.
- Applications will be reviewed when all materials have been received. In reviewing candidates, the admissions committee evaluates a number of factors including academic record, research experience, and GRE scores.
- Selected applicants will be invited to OHSU for interviews during one of the interview sessions generally in February and March (arrive Wednesday - depart Saturday).
- The invitation only interviews involve meeting with faculty and current graduate students while providing an opportunity to learn about the program, the OHSU campus, and Portland.
- Visit the School of Medicine Graduate Studies Admissions Page
- Choose Admissions Process from the left hand navigational box
- Click on the ON-LINE APPLICATION link
- Select: First Time User Account
- Create a New User Account. Make note of your log-in ID and your pin. This will allow you to check the status of your application as well received documents
- Select PMCB Molecular & Cellular Biosciences from the Application Type drop-down list
- Choose Fall 15 for the Term
- Choose PhD Program in Molecular & Cellular Biosciences from the Planned Course of Study drop-down list
- Choose (1) ONE of the 7 Majors you intend to study and enter it into the text box
- List any of the suggested undergraduate courses you have completed into the text box
- Choose the appropriate link (PMCB or QBBME) to review faculty research
- List 4-6 faculty who are engaged in research which is of most interest to you and with whom you would like to interview with should you be invited to campus in Feb. 2015.
- Continue to complete additional application fields
- When finished, you should see 10 check-marks that indicated all applications fields have been completed.
- Once you believe the application is complete, you must click on the Application is Complete tab in order to be directed to the credit card payment screen
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation, minimum. Letters of recommendation are to be submitted via OHSU's online Letter of Recommendation Form. Applicants must contact their evaluators and refer them to https://www.ohsu.edu/som/gradstudies/reference/. This link is not automatically sent to evaluators after filling out an application and must be sent separately. Applicants waive all right to review letters by using this system.