Master of Science in Healthcare Management
About This Program
The Master of Science in Healthcare Management provides healthcare managers with the practical knowledge to lead teams, improve processes, and implement strategy within the complex world of healthcare delivery. Designed for busy working professionals, the MS in Healthcare Management is offered part-time to accommodate students balancing jobs, families and other commitments. The program enables students from around the nation to combine both in-person and online classes to graduate in as little as 21 months.
Hybrid Class Format
- 80 percent of the classroom interaction is done through online learning in the Sakai platform.
- 20 percent of the classroom interaction is in-person on the OHSU campus. These face-to-face classes take place two Fridays and two Saturdays per term.
- Face-to-Face classes are hosted on Fridays (4-9 PM) and Saturdays (9 AM-2 PM).
The model below demonstrates an average 11-week term. Blue squares represent online work weeks.
- Students can select to take two courses per term and complete the program in 21 months or take one class per term and complete the program in 42 months.
- Students who have successfully completed the 24-credit Graduate Certificate program with a 3.5 GPA are eligible to apply to for the Master of Science program without having to complete the GMAT or GRE exam.
The program consists of 52 credits comprised from the courses listed below.
The following classes are required:
- MGT 508 Ethics in Healthcare Organizations (2 credits)
- MGT 519 Health Care Project Management (4 credits)
- MGT 520 Becoming an Effective Manager (4 credits)
- MGT 560 Organization, Financing & History of Healthcare Delivery in the U.S. (4 credits)
- MGT 561 Managerial and Financial Accounting for Healthcare Professionals (4 credits)
- MGT 563 Regulation & Legislation of Healthcare Delivery (4 credits)
- MGT 564 Business Planning and Strategy in Healthcare (4 credits)
- MGT 569 Healthcare Marketing (4 credits)
- MGT 570 Operations Management in Healthcare (4 credits)
- MGT 572 Financial Management in Healthcare (4 credits)
- MGT 590 Effective Business Writing for Management (1credit)
- MGT 553 Capstone Project in Healthcare I (2 credits)
- MGT 554 Capstone Project in Healthcare II (3 credits)
Students select additional electives to total a minimum of 52 credits. Electives can include but are not limited to the following:
- MGT 506 Healthcare Management Special Topics, (variable and repetitive credit)
- MGT 515 Understanding the Medical Supply Chain (4 credits)
- MGT 518 Quality and Safety in Healthcare (4 credits)
- MGT 522 Influencing Change in Organizations (3 credits)
- MGT 541 Leadership and Communication Skills (3 credits)
- MGT 565 Managing People in Healthcare Organizations (3 credits)
2017-2018 Tuition: $582 per credit hour.
2017-2018 OHSU University Fee: $273 per term.
*Books and additional materials are not included in thetuition credit hour costs.
The Master of Science program admits students for Fall, Winter and Spring terms of each academic year. We strongly encourage students to start in the Fall term.
Note: This program is offered on a part-time only basis; therefore, we cannot accept applicants on F-1 or J-1 student visas
Contact an Enrollment Coach