Dr. Lindner is a Professor of Medicine at Oregon Health & Science University where he is the Director of Cardiovascular Imaging and holds the M. Lowell Edwards Professorship of Cardiology. He is also the Chief of the Division of Cardiometabolic Health at the Oregon National Primate Research Center. He received his medical degree and residency training in internal medicine at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, and received his cardiovascular training at the University of Virginia. Dr. Lindner has expertise in the fields of cardiovascular imaging and microvascular physiology; and is currently the principal investigator on several R01 grants from the National Institutes of Health and a grant from the NASA National Space and Biomedical Research Institute. His research laboratory has pioneered the use of contrast ultrasound for non-invasive molecular imaging of disease and the evaluation of microvascular function/dysfunction. Specific areas of research include: (a) application of molecular imaging techniques for early detection of atherosclerosis and evaluation of new therapies for atherosclerosis; (b) molecular imaging of angiogenesis and stem cell therapy; (c) molecular imaging for early diagnosis of myocardial ischemic injury and inflammation; (d) microvascular dysfunction and endothelial abnormalities in atherosclerosis, insulin resistance, and sickle cell disease; (e) development of new methods for detecting and treating peripheral arterial disease, and (f) novel approaches for therapeutic ultrasound. Dr. Lindner is the President Elect for the American Society of Echocardiography and also serves as an Associate Editor for the Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography. He is on the Board of Directors and serves as the Vice-chair for the Exam Writing Committee for the National Board of Echocardiography.
Areas of interest
- Non-invasive cardiovascular imaging
- Molecular imaging
- Atherosclerosis and ischemic heart disease
- Microvascular function and dysfunction
- M.D., University of Texas Southwestern 1990
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas
- Cardiovascular medicine, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
- American Board of Internal Medicine, internal medicine (1993)
- Echocardiography – National Board of Echocardiography
Honors and awards
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Fellow, American Society of Echocardiography
- Elected Member of the American Society of Clinical Investigation
- Elected Member of the Association of University Cardiologists
- American Society of Echocardiography, Richard J. Popp Excellence in Teaching Award
Memberships and associations
- President Elect, American Society of Echocardiography
- Board of Directors, National Board of Echocardiography
- Vice-chair, Writing Committee, National Board of Echocardiography
- NIH MEDI study section
- NIH/NHLBI Data Safety Monitoring Board for Gene and Cell Therapy Trials
- Association of University Cardiologists
- American Society of Clinical Investigation
Belcik, JT, et al. Augmentation of muscle blood flow by ultrasound cavitation is mediated by ATP purinergic signaling. Circulation 2017.
Mott B, et al. J Am Coll Cardiol Cardiovasc Imag 2016;9:937-46
Xie A, et al. Influence of DNA-microbubble coupling on contrast ultrasound-mediated gene transfection in muscle and liver. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2016;29:812-818.
Shim CY, et al. Molecular Imaging of platelet-endothelial interactions and endothelial Von Willebrand factor in early and mid-stage atherosclerosis. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 2015;8:e002765.
Chadderdon SM, et al. Skeletal muscle capillary responses to endothelial-derived vasoactive pathways modulate obesity-related insulin resistance. Diabetes 2016;65:2249-57.
Liu Y, et al. Molecular imaging of inflammation and platelet adhesion in advanced atherosclerosis: effects of antioxidant therapy with NADPH oxidase inhibition. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 2013;6:74-82.
Davidson BP, et al. Detection of antecedent myocardial ischemia with multi-selectin molecular imaging. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012;60:1690-1697.
- "Platelets and von Willebrand factor in atherogenesis." Blood In: , Vol. 129, No. 11, 16.03.2017, p. 1415-1419.
- "Augmentation of Muscle Blood Flow by Ultrasound Cavitation is Mediated by ATP and Purinergic Signaling." Circulation In: , 09.02.2017.
- "Exercise versus vasodilator stress limb perfusion imaging for the assessment of peripheral artery disease." Echocardiography In: , 2017.
- "The Fast and the Curious. Physiological Insights From Fast Frame Rate Imaging ." JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging In: , 2017.
- "Increased Coronary Tortuosity Is Associated with Increased Left Ventricular Longitudinal Myocardial Shortening." Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography In: , 2017.
- "Skeletal and myocardial microvascular blood flow in hydroxycarbamide-treated patients with sickle cell disease." British Journal of Haematology In: , 2017.
- "Functional adaptations of the coronary microcirculation to anaemia in fetal sheep." Journal of Physiology In: , Vol. 594, No. 21, 01.11.2016, p. 6165-6174.
- "Temporal changes in skeletal muscle capillary responses and endothelial-derived vasodilators in obesity-related insulin resistance." Diabetes In: , Vol. 65, No. 8, 01.08.2016, p. 2249-2257.
- "Echocardiographic Ischemic Memory Imaging Through Complement-Mediated Vascular Adhesion of Phosphatidylserine-Containing Microbubbles." JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging In: , Vol. 9, No. 8, 01.08.2016, p. 937-946.
- "Vasoconstrictor eicosanoids and impaired microvascular function in inactive and insulin-resistant primates." International Journal of Obesity In: , 26.07.2016.
- "Differential effects of nebivolol vs. Metoprolol on microvascular function in hypertensive humans." American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology In: , Vol. 311, No. 1, 01.07.2016, p. H118-H124.
- "Imaging for Regenerative Therapy for PAD." Regenerative Medicine for Peripheral Artery Disease. Elsevier Inc., 2016. p. 95-116.
- "Acute Effect of Hookah Smoking on the Human Coronary Microcirculation." American Journal of Cardiology In: , Vol. 117, No. 11, 01.06.2016, p. 1747-1754.
- "Quantitative assessment of placental perfusion by contrast-enhanced ultrasound in macaques and human subjects." American journal of obstetrics and gynecology In: , Vol. 214, No. 3, 01.03.2016.
- "Quantification of residual limb skeletal muscle perfusion with contrast-enhanced ultrasound during application of a focal junctional tourniquet." Journal of Vascular Surgery In: , Vol. 63, No. 1, 01.01.2016, p. 148-153.
- "Phase-conversion nanoparticle contrast agents : Do good things come in small packages?" Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging In: , Vol. 9, No. 1, e004374, 01.01.2016.
- "Amelioration of Metabolic Syndrome-Associated Cognitive Impairments in Mice via a Reduction in Dietary Fat Content or Infusion of Non-Diabetic Plasma." EBioMedicine In: , Vol. 3, 01.01.2016, p. 26-42.
- "Influence of DNA-Microbubble Coupling on Contrast Ultrasound-Mediated Gene Transfection in Muscle and Liver." Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography In: , 2016.
- "Rest-Stress Limb Perfusion Imaging in Humans with Contrast Ultrasound Using Intermediate-Power Imaging and Microbubbles Resistant to Inertial Cavitation." Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography In: , 2016.
- "Endocardial endothelial dysfunction progressively disrupts initially anti then pro-thrombotic pathways in heart failure mice." PLoS One In: , Vol. 10, No. 11, e0142940, 01.11.2015.
- "Requisite Role of Kv1.5 Channels in Coronary Metabolic Dilation." Circulation Research In: , Vol. 117, No. 7, 11.09.2015, p. 612-621.
- "Abnormal Regulation of Microvascular Tone in a Murine Model of Sickle Cell Disease Assessed by Contrast Ultrasound." Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography In: , Vol. 28, No. 9, 3436, 01.09.2015, p. 1122-1128.
- "Intravenous xenogeneic transplantation of human adipose-derived stem cells improves left ventricular function and microvascular integrity in swine myocardial infarction model." Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions In: , Vol. 86, No. 2, 01.08.2015, p. E38-E48.
- "Real-time contrast ultrasound muscle perfusion imaging with intermediate-power imaging coupled with acoustically durable microbubbles." Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography In: , Vol. 28, No. 6, 01.06.2015, p. 718-726.e2.
- "COCATS 4 Task Force 5 : Training in Echocardiography: Endorsed by the American Society of Echocardiography." Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography : official publication of the American Society of Echocardiography In: , Vol. 28, No. 6, 01.06.2015, p. 615-627.
- "COCATS 4 task force 5 : Training in echocardiography." Journal of the American College of Cardiology In: , Vol. 65, No. 17, 05.05.2015, p. 1786-1799.
- "ACC 2015 Core Cardiovascular Training Statement (COCATS 4) (Revision of COCATS 3) : A Report of the ACC Competency Management Committee." Journal of the American College of Cardiology In: , Vol. 65, No. 17, 05.05.2015, p. 1721-1723.
- "Molecular imaging of platelet-endothelial interactions and endothelial von Willebrand factor in early and mid-stage atherosclerosis." Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging In: , Vol. 8, No. 7, e002765, 01.05.2015.
- "Contrast-enhanced ultrasound assessment of impaired adipose tissue and muscle perfusion in insulin-resistant mice." Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging In: , Vol. 8, No. 4, e002684, 22.04.2015.
- "Augmentation of limb perfusion and reversal of tissue ischemia produced by ultrasound-mediated microbubble cavitation." Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging In: , Vol. 8, No. 4, e002979, 22.04.2015.