UCEDD Summer Internship Program
About the UCEDD Summer Internship Program
Applicants can now apply for the 2017 UCEDD Summer Internship Program. The application will close February 1, 2017.
Held every summer, the UCEDD Summer Internship Program provides opportunities for high school or early college students to gain experience in the disability field, develop transferable skills, and learn about various career paths in health care. Interns will receive training on disability theory, practice, and advocacy, as well as support and guidance in career planning and networking.
Interns will work 10-20 hours per week on a project at one of the Institute on Development and Disability units, gaining experience in research, education, training, and dissemination. After developing their own personal goals for the internship, interns will participate in activities that align with their career interests such as informational interviews, clinical shadowing, Grand Rounds, and other OHSU activities. Interns will also participate in group tours and field trips to OHSU labs, clinics, and facilities.
Additionally, interns will have the opportunity to select their top three preferences for the following fields. * Please note: A candidate is not required to include a preference. Also, preferences listed on an applicants application are not guaranteed, but will be considered.
3. Community relations/outreach/development
4. Generic clinic or specific clinic
5. Computer Science
6. Behavioral Psychology/Social Work
7. Assistive Technology
8. Healthcare Marketing and Communication
All students participating in the Summer Internship Program will be expected to:
- Attend a three day orientation during the first week (June 12 -14, 2017)
- Commit to attending the entire 8 weeks of the internship (June 12 - August 4, 2017)
- Work 10-20 hours per week
- Attend regularly scheduled seminars, meetings, and field trips
This internship is designed for students who are interested in pursuing a career in health care, specifically with a focus on disability. The following students are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Students must be 16 years old prior to June 12, 2017
- Students who experience a disability
- Students with siblings or family members who experience a disability
- Students from historically underrepresented populations in the health and science professions
- Students from socially and economically disadvantaged populations
The UCEDD Summer Internship Program is a paid opportunity and runs June 12 – August 4, 2017.