Care Coordination (CACOON)
CaCoon is a statewide public health nurse home visiting program that focuses on community-based CAre COordinatiON for children with special health needs. CaCoon Nurses have provided services in most Oregon counties for over 20 years.
Children served in the CaCoon program make fewer visits to the emergency department. They also have higher rates of immunization, annual well-child, and dental care visits.
The Population We Serve
CaCoon serves children from birth through 21 years who have (or who are at risk for) a chronic physical, developmental, behavioral, or emotional condition and who also require health and related services of a type or amount beyond that required by children generally. The most vulnerable families, such as those with a newly diagnosed infant, will be prioritized for CaCoon services.
How Can a CaCoon Nurse Help My Family?
A CaCoon nurse works with your family and your child’s health care providers to do some or all of the following things:
- Help you find information about your child’s condition
- Screen your child for any concerns regarding development, nutrition, hearing, vision, or other health issues
- Partner with you to advocate for your child and family
- Help you family locate financial assistance to help pay for your child’s care
- Refer you to parent or family support organizations
- Refer you to local resources for early intervention - physical, occupational, speech, and preschool
- Work with any other service providers to address your concerns
For More Information
If you would like information or resources about specialized health services and want to know more about CaCoon, contact your local health department and ask to speak with a CaCoon nurse. You can also contact the Oregon Center for Children and Youth with Special Health Needs office at:
Resources & Materials:
- Orientation PowerPoint
- Informational Documents
- 20 Ways a CaCoon PHN Can Help
- Emergency Info for CYSHN
- CaCoon Report FY12 - Statewide
- HIPPA - FERPA - Authorization Form
- Notice of TPO Exemption to HIPPA
- OHSU ROI
- SSI Handout for PHN's
Making a Difference!