Water and Sun
There are so many fun things to do in the summer that sometimes it’s hard to decide which ones to do first! But getting ready for fun in the sun means more than just putting on sunscreen.
Check out the tips in this section for playing it safe while you’re having fun on the water or in the sun.
- Drink lots of water all day, even if you’re not thirsty.
- Take lots of rest breaks to cool down.
- Exercise, run and play in a shady area.
- Don’t wear heavy, dark-colored clothes.If you feel too hot, tired or dizzy, get out of the sun right away and tell an adult.
Life jackets are an important part of water safety. They are made to keep your head above water, in case you fall in the water. Make sure your life jacket is in good condition. Ask an adult how to wear a life jacket the right way.
- Wear a hat, sunglasses and loose, dry clothing.
- Wear sunscreen, even on cloudy days, in the shade and in winter.
- Stay out of the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. That’s when the sun’s rays are the strongest.
- Drink lots of water, even if you’re not thirsty.
- Tell an adult if you feel dizzy or weak or if your head or stomach hurts.