Become a Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at OHSU Hospital & Clinics. Please review the application process outlined below. This process helps us comply with regulations and ensures your volunteer experience is rewarding and meaningful, while ensuring the health and safety of our patients, visitors and staff.
Make an informed choice to volunteer
As a volunteer, you will be asked to:
- Meet the minimum commitment of six months of service; although some assignments require a longer commitment time (Volunteers are assigned to a regular weekly schedule, serving 3-4 hours per week/shift depending on the assignment).
- Participate in an interview, training and the placement process
- Submit to a criminal background check
- Obtain TB skin tests and immunizations as needed
- Adhere to clinical dress code guidelines, including no artificial fingernails and no natural nails longer than 1/4 inch
- Provide a $12 non-refundable rental fee for a volunteer uniform
- Complete required assignment specific trainings
Applying to volunteer
online application, we will contact you when a volunteer opening is available at the times and in the areas you have specified. If there are no immediate openings, your application will be kept on file for three months.
If you have not heard from us within a few weeks, please contact us and let us know that you would like us to continue to look for an opportunity that suits you.
In addition to gaining valuable experience in a unique academic hospital setting, at OHSU Healthcare we provide: free Tri-Met bus tickets or parking for your volunteer shift, free trips on the Portland Aerial Tram, free access to the OHSU shuttle, discount on a Tri-Met annual pass, access to resources at the OHSU Library and food barcode after 100 hours of volunteer service.