Residents have the option to spend a full academic year in their fourth year of residency as a research resident. Permission to do a research year is highly competitive and requires that the resident publish and attend several research conferences throughout the year. Research residents must participate in the OHSU Research Fair and be open to exploring a variety of research within our divisions.
The William S. Fletcher Award was presented at the 2013 Research Fair. This award was established to recognize outstanding cancer-related research. It is awarded annually to a resident or fellow in the Department of Surgery at OHSU for research intended to be submitted for oral presentation at an international meeting. The award supports the winner's travel, registration and expenses to an international meeting. This year the award was presented to Ian White, M.D. for his abstract entitled "Differential expression of microRNA-320a, -145, and -192 among different histology of colonic adenoma." Dr. White's project was submitted for presentation at the International Surgical Week, August 25-29, 2013 in Helsinki, Finland.
Published Papers 2013
- Lee TH, Alonzo BJ, Differding J, Underwood SJ, Hamilton G, Kremenevskiy I, McNamara S, Schreiber MA.
The effects of location and low-molecular-weight heparin administration on deep vein thrombosis outcomes in trauma patients.
- Hampton DA, Schreiber MA.
Near infrared spectroscopy: clinical and research uses.
- Donovan CA, Pommier RF, Schillace R, O'Neill S, Muller P, Alabran JL, Hansen JE, Murphy JA, Naik AM, Vetto JT, Pommier SJ.
Correlation of Breast Cancer Axillary Lymph Node Metastases With Stem Cell Mutations.
- Lee TH, McCully BH, Underwood SJ, Cotton BA, Cohen MJ, Schreiber MA.
Correlation of conventional thrombelastography and rapid thrombelastography in trauma.
- Riha GM, Kiraly LN, Diggs BS, Cho SD, Fabricant LJ, Flaherty SF, Kuehn R, Underwood SJ, Schreiber MA.
Management of the open abdomen during the global war on terror.
- White I, Mills JK, Diggs B, Fortino Hima J, Ellis MC, Vetto JT.
Sentinel lymph node biopsy for melanoma: comparison of lymphocele rates by surgical technique.
- Dargon PT, Liang CW, Kohal A, Dogan A, Barnwell SL, Landry GJ.
Bilateral mechanical rotational vertebral artery occlusion.
PUBLISHED PAPERS 2012
- Hessman CJ, Bubbers EJ, Billingsley KG, Herzig DO, Wong MH. Loss of expressionof the cancer stem cell marker aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 correlates withadvanced-stage colorectal cancer. Am J Surg. 2012 May;203(5):649-53. doi:10.1016/j.amjsurg.2012.01.003. Epub 2012 Mar 9. PubMed PMID: 22405917.
- Barton JS, Riha GM, Differding JA, Underwood SJ, Curren JL, Sheppard BC,Pommier RF, Orloff SL, Schreiber MA, Billingsley KG. Coagulopathy after a liver resection: is it over diagnosed and over treated? HPB (Oxford). 2013 Jan 29. doi:10.1111/hpb.12051. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23458574.
- Fabricant L, Ham B, Mullins R, Mayberry J. Prolonged pain and disability arecommon after rib fractures. Am J Surg. 2013 May;205(5):511-5; discusssion 515-6. doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2012.12.007. PubMed PMID: 23592156.
- Fabricant L, Kiraly L, Wiles C, Differding J, Underwood S, Deloughery T, Schreiber M. Cryopreserved deglycerolized blood is safe and achieves superior tissue oxygenation compared with refrigerated red blood cells: a prospective randomized pilot study. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013 Feb;74(2):371-6; discussion 376-7. doi: 10.1097/TA.0b013e31827e1d40. PubMed PMID: 23354227.
- Bronson NW, Luna RA, Hunter JG. Tailoring esophageal cancer surgery. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012 Winter;24(4):275-87. doi:10.1053/j.semtcvs.2012.11.001. PubMed PMID: 23465676.
- Dargon PT, Landry GJ. Buerger's disease. Ann Vasc Surg. 2012 Aug;26(6):871-80. doi: 10.1016/j.avsg.2011.11.005. Epub 2012 Jan 27. Review. PubMed PMID: 22284771.
- Kret MR, Azarbal AF, Mitchell EL, Liem TK, Landry GJ, Moneta GL. Compliance with long-term surveillance recommendations following endovascular aneurysm repair or type B aortic dissection. J Vasc Surg. 2013 Jul;58(1):25-32. doi:10.1016/j.jvs.2012.12.046. Epub 2013 Mar 7. PubMed PMID: 23465175.
- Kret MR, Young B, Moneta GL, Liem TK, Mitchell EL, Azarbal AF, Landry GJ. Results of routine shunting and patch closure during carotid endarterectomy. Am J Surg. 2012 May;203(5):613-7. doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2011.12.005. Epub 2012 Mar 15. PubMed PMID: 22425447.