Residents have the option to spend a full academic year in their fourth year of residency as a research resident. Permission to do a research year is highly competitive and requires that the resident publish and attend several research conferences throughout the year. Research residents must participate in the OHSU Research Fair and be open to exploring a variety of research within our divisions.
Residents that are interested in research must choose a mentor from the Department of Surgery faculty and then develop a research proposal to be submitted in December of their third year of residency. Once approved by the Research Committee, the residents will then complete one year of research under the direction of Bruce Wolfe, M.D., F.A.C.S., and Belinda McCully, Ph.D. A second year of research is occasionally possible, as is research with off-site mentors.
For a list of research opportunities within the Department of Surgery, click here.
For a list of current research residents, their mentors and projects, click here.
Research Resident Published Papers 2014
- Crawford JD, Perrone KH,Wong VW, Mitchell EL, Azarbal AF, Liem TK, Landry GJ, Moneta GL.
A modern series of acute aortic occlusion
- Crawford JD, Wong VW,Deloughery TG, Mitchell EL, Liem TK, Landry GJ, Azarbal AF, Moneta GL.
Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria: a red clot syndrome
Research Resident Published Papers 2013
- Lee TH, Alonzo BJ, Differding J, Underwood SJ, Hamilton G, Kremenevskiy I, McNamara S, Schreiber MA.
The effects of location and low-molecular-weight heparin administration on deep vein thrombosis outcomes in trauma patients.
- Hampton DA, Schreiber MA.
Near infrared spectroscopy: clinical and research uses.
- Donovan CA, Pommier RF, Schillace R, O'Neill S, Muller P, Alabran JL, Hansen JE, Murphy JA, Naik AM, Vetto JT, Pommier SJ.
Correlation of Breast Cancer Axillary Lymph Node Metastases With Stem Cell Mutations.
- Lee TH, McCully BH, Underwood SJ, Cotton BA, Cohen MJ, Schreiber MA.
Correlation of conventional thrombelastography and rapid thrombelastography in trauma.
- Riha GM, Kiraly LN, Diggs BS, Cho SD, Fabricant LJ, Flaherty SF, Kuehn R, Underwood SJ, Schreiber MA.
Management of the open abdomen during the global war on terror.
- White I, Mills JK, Diggs B, Fortino Hima J, Ellis MC, Vetto JT.
Sentinel lymph node biopsy for melanoma: comparison of lymphocele rates by surgical technique.
- Dargon PT, Liang CW, Kohal A, Dogan A, Barnwell SL, Landry GJ.
Bilateral mechanical rotational vertebral artery occlusion.
Research Resident Published Papers 2012
- Hessman CJ, Bubbers EJ, Billingsley KG, Herzig DO, Wong MH.
Loss of expression of the cancer stem cell marker aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 correlates with advanced-stage colorectal cancer
- Barton JS, Riha GM, Differding JA, Underwood SJ, Curren JL, Sheppard BC,Pommier RF, Orloff SL, Schreiber MA, Billingsley KG.
Coagulopathy after a liver resection: is it over diagnosed and over treated?
- Fabricant L, Ham B, Mullins R, Mayberry J.
Prolonged pain and disability are common after rib fractures
- Fabricant L, Kiraly L, Wiles C, Differding J, Underwood S, Deloughery T, Schreiber M.
Cryopreserved deglycerolized blood is safe and achieves superior tissue oxygenation compared with refrigerated red blood cells: a prospective randomized pilot study
- Bronson NW, Luna RA, Hunter JG.
Tailoring esophageal cancer surgery
- Dargon PT, Landry GJ.
- Kret MR, Azarbal AF, Mitchell EL, Liem TK, Landry GJ, Moneta GL.
Compliance with long-term surveillance recommendations following endovascular aneurysm repair or type B aortic dissection
- Kret MR, Young B, Moneta GL, Liem TK, Mitchell EL, Azarbal AF, Landry GJ.
Results of routine shunting and patch closure during carotid endarterectomy