Welcome to the Department of Radiation Medicine
We appreciate your interest in our education, research, and clinical programs. Established in the early 1960's as the first independent department of radiation oncology based in a U.S. medical school, our program is an integral component of the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, an NCI-Designated Clinical Cancer Center.
Over the past four decades, my predecessors, Drs. William Allen (1964-1972), William Moss (1972-1989), and Kenneth Stevens (1989-2005), have trained two generations of practicing radiation medicine physicians.
The department was one of the first to publish a large experience of preoperative radiotherapy for rectal cancer, now considered part of combined-modality standard of care for this common tumor.
The department's graduates have consistently performed in the upper quartile of the American Board of Radiology certification examinations. In addition, in the summer of 2007, we moved into a state-of-the-art, 17,000 sq ft facility by the end of year on the 4th floor of the Peter O. Kohler Pavilion.
In addition to maintaining our high standard of patient care, our program is singularly aligned with the long-term goals of the Knight Cancer Institute leadership as the only academic health center in the state of Oregon. Simply put, we are committed to training the next generation of leaders in academic radiation medicine. The interdisciplinary nature of cancer medicine is consistent with a culture of collaboration across specialties, departments, schools, and institutions.
I welcome you to check out our website and to contact us for more information about our department. Within this dynamic academic enterprise of robust clinical, educational, and research initiatives, resides a diverse community of scholars and clinicians who work in concert with some of the most dedicated radiation medicine staff in the Pacific Northwest.
I look forward to welcoming you to OHSU and sharing our department with you.
With warmest professional regards, I am,Yours cordially,
- Dr. Charles Thomas, represented at the annual Medical Specialty Speed Dating event in November 2013
- "Relationship Between Racial & Ethnic Diversity in a Class & Students' Perception of Having Learned from Others", Analysis In-Brief, AAMC
- Dr. Thomas has been selected to serve on the editorial board of Surgical Oncology
- Jay Dorsey was a visiting faculty to the OHSU Department of Radiation Medicine in November 2013
- C-M “Charlie” Ma presented on Pulsed Low-dose Rate Radiation Therapy for Recurrent Cancers
- Diversity Data Snapshots DDS
- SCAROP survey on radiation oncology department chair burnout | Pubmed
- 1st department chair burnout survey performed for radiation oncology
- 7th Annual Rubinstein Radiation Medicine Research Retreat
- Dr. Keith Wailoo was the guest presenter for the 21st Harvey Baker Memorial Lectureship
- Department faculty co-author a novel web-based outcome prediction tool for esophageal cancer
- 2013 OHSU Diversity Annual Report
- Department chair serves on faculty for the Methods in Clinical Research Workshop for Minority Physicians
- Why Are There Still So Few Women in Science?
- 2013 Annual Medical Scientist Training Program/MD-PhD Retreat
- 2013 Association of Black Radiation Oncologists Reception
- OHSU Radiation Medicine were presenter and co-presenters at the 55th Annual ASTRO meeting
- OHSU Radiation Medicine team co-authors a record 24 presentations for the 55th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Radiation Oncology.
- Biliary Tract and Gallbladder Cancer: A Multidisciplinary Approach (Springer)
- Dr. Thomas co-presented at the 4th International Thymic Malignancy Interest Group Annual Meeting
- Mr. Kyle Gallagher is the inaugural ARCS Radiation Medicine Scholar for 2013
- Work-Life Balance Acad Med_Physician Resaerchers and Mentors
- Department chair co-authors article on radiology workforce diversity
- Reshma Jagsi, MD, DPhil was a Visiting Faculty Scholar at OHSU in July 2013
- Department faculty member represented at the 15th Joint ECCO-AACR-EORTC-ESMO Workshop
- OHSU Summer Equity Program Mentor & Laboratory Staff Handbook
- Grant Application Numbers Continue to Climb
- Rubinstein Research Scholars describe their work to members of the Radiation Medicine Advocacy Group
- Department Report: The New Face of Radiation Oncology at OHSU
- Dr. CR Thomas, Jr. presented at the annual SCAROP meeting in Washington, DC
- OHSU Diversity Action Plan 2013: Creating a Community of Diversity and Inclusion
- OHSU faculty co-authors editorial on RTOG-0529
- Kunle Odunsi visited OHSU and gave a research seminar on Friday, April 5th, 2013
- 100% NRMP match rate for Radiation Medicine Student Interest Group students in 2013
- Women in Science: The gender gap and how to close it
- 5 OHSU Medical Students Designated Rubinstein Radiation Medicine Research Scholars for 2013
- 18 original abstracts submitted for 55th Annual ASTRO Meeting
- AAMC Diversity Facts And Figures Updated For 2012
- OHSU Radiation Medicine Visiting Faculty Lectures
- Diversity in Medical Education: Facts & Figures 2012
- Dr. Sheryl Heron presented on January 23rd, 2013
- Dr. Thomas photo.
- Dr. Charles Thomas selected to return as a participating faculty for the 2013 ASCO/AACR Methods in Clinical Cancer Research Workshop
- Department faculty selected by the ASTRO Board of Directors to serve on the grant award panel
- Department chair has been named chair of the RSNA Radiation Oncology Study Section
- Summer 2013 OHSU Equity Research program & CURE (Continuing Umbrella of Research Experience) program
- AAMC Reporter: News about the Nations Medical Schools, November 2012
- First-Time Enrollees to U.S. Medical Schools, 2005-2012
- Addressing Issues of Diversity and Disparities in Research at OHSU
- Xavier University Leads the Nation with the Most African-American STEM and Medical Graduates
- Dr. CR Thomas served as the panel chair for educational exhibits at the 2012 RSNA meeting
- Drs. Charles Thomas & Dwight Heron both served as co-moderators at the 2012 RSNA meeting
- Department chair is appointed to the ASCO Conquer Cancer Foundation's Diversity Subcommittee
- Mentoring Translational Science Investigators
- Dr. Thomas is co-author of the long-term outcome analysis of RTOG 98-11 abstract
- Dr. Thomas will serve as an invited faculty for the FLIMS Workshop in Switzerland
- Diversity in Medical Education: Facts & Figures 2012
- Dr. Thomas appointed to serve on the Radiation Oncology & Radiobiology Subcommittee
- Department faculty is sr. author of ACR's Quality Research in Radiation Oncology analysis of gastric cancer
- Association of Underrepresented Minority Fellows
- Fall 2012 OHSU School of Medicine MD-PhD Retreat