Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
OHSU School of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Psychiatrists, psychologists, psychiatry residents and fellows, medical students, social workers, masters in administration, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses and pharmacists. Additionally, Psychiatry Grand Rounds is open to the public.
Typically held the 1st, 3rd & 4th Tuesdays of each month
Noon to 1pm, 8B60, 8th Floor, OHSU Hospital (unless otherwise noted)
Psychiatry Grand Rounds provides free continuing medical education for the public. We strive to enable discussion that is both about and involves the patient so the physician can better understand the depth of one's mental illness. In Grand Rounds, we explore the history of certain policies and procedures in place for handling mentally ill patients and what can happen to improve care and treatment that they receive, as well as to better explain and expand on various forms of mental illness and how treatment should be approached and practiced by the clinician.
Accessing Psychiatry Grand Rounds Remotely
Our lectures are accessible to be viewed remotely, simply connect using this link: https://echo360.org/section/239826d6-781a-4cbd-aea6-af8a754d03be/public to be connected. To receive CME credit, you must watch the lecture live during the time of the presentation. After you watch the Grand Rounds, you can submit your attendance by filling out an evaluation survey by the end of the week, the link to which is given in the announcement emails. You can sign up for the announcements by scrolling to the bottom of this page and filling out your information. If you have any questions please contact the Grand Rounds Coordinator, Micaela Sandoval at email@example.com or 503-494-4818.
Psychiatry Grand Rounds Schedule
June 19, 2018
Let's Talk: Racial Awareness and Responsibility in Psychiatry
Karina España, M.D. - 1st year Psychiatry Resident Physician, OHSU
Sponsoring Faculty: Tom Veeder, M.D. - Psychiatrist, Unity Center for Behavioral Health; Assistant Program Director: Adult Psychiatry Residency Training Program, OHSU; Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, OHSU
- Create a shared language when discussing implicit bias and racial disparities.
- Recognize how racial bias can impede the delivery of equitable psychiatric services.
- Communicate an informed approach to navigating cultural identity with patients and fostering responsiveness to concerns of inequity voiced by patients.
- Examine the experience of racial discrimination as a provider and discuss associated ethical considerations when providing care.
- Discuss opportunities to label and mitigate racial disparities in a multi-disciplinary forum, as both individual providers and functioning teams within a healthcare system.
June 26, 2018
Adolescent Addiction: Opportunities for Early Intervention
Jennifer C. Creedon, M.D. - Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist, OHSU Psychiatry Residency Graduate
- Recognize and describe the signs and symptoms of substance use and addiction in adolescent patients.
- Identify effective treatment options for adolescent patients.
- Discuss the impact of the opioid epidemic on teenage substance use.
Psychiatry Grand Rounds will go on a Summer Break after our last presentation of this academic year on June 26th, we will resume in the Fall on September 18th.
Grand Rounds Notification
We send out notifications a few days in advance of Grand Rounds. If you would like to receive these notifications, please fill out the form below.