Ob-Gyn Grand Rounds
Residents, Medical Students, Nurses, Medical Assistants and women's health professionals are encouraged to attend.
The objective of our program is to enhance knowledge for healthcare providers in the field of obstetrics and gynecology.
Talks are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.
OB/GYN GRAND ROUNDS LECTURES
JULY & AUGUST 2017 - No Grand Rounds
SEPTEMBER 1, 2017 - No Grand Rounds (Labor Day weekend)
SEPTEMBER 8, 2017
Shoukhrat Mitalipov, PhD, Professor and Director OHSU Center for Embryonic Cell and Gene Therapy, Oregon Health & Science University
Gene Editing Therapy for Human Embryos
- Learn about types of heritable gene mutations causing human diseases.
- Currently available screening technologies allowing to prevent transmission of gene mutations from parents to children.
- Novel gene editing tools allowing to correct mutations.
- Future gene therapies to correct gene mutations in human gametes and embryos.
SEPTEMBER 15, 2017
Amy Cantor, MD, MPH, Assistant Professor of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology, Family Medicine, and Obstetrics & Gynecology, Oregon Health & Science University
Breast Cancer Screening Evidence and Shared Decision Making
- Understand current breast cancer screening clinical guidelines and coverage recommendations.
- Understand current evidence of the benefits and harms of breast cancer screening.
- Understand shared decision making.
- Understand how to implement shared decision making in the clinical setting.
SEPTEMBER 22, 2017 - Multidisciplinary Grand Rounds
Not Open to the Public
SEPTEMBER 29, 2017 - Undisclosed Grand Rounds
Not Open to the Public
OCTOBER 6, 2017
Richard Frieder, MD, Assistant Professor of Clinical Cancer Genetics, John Wayne Cancer InstituteHereditary Cancer Risk Assessment in OBGYN and Primary Care
- Cancer risk stratification.
- Cancer risk prediction models.
- Predictive genetic testing.
- System protocol integration.
- Diagnosis and management o common genetic cancer syndromes.
OCTOBER 13, 2017
Aaron Caughey, MD, PhD, Professor and Chair, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oregon Health & Science University
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology: An Update on Team OB/GYN
- Summarize the Clinical achievements over the past year.
- Summarize the Educational achievements over the past year.
- Summarize the Research achievements over the past year.
OCTOBER 20, 2017 - Multidisciplinary Grand Rounds
Open to the Public
Ittai Bushlin, MD, PhD, House Officer, Department of Child Neurology
Mother's Milk and Marijuana: research in progressLearning Objectives:
- Understand the existing literature regarding transfer of cannabinoids into maternal breast milk.
- Be aware of our study measuring THC and CBD concentrations in the breastmilk of mothers using cannabis products.
OCTOBER 27, 2017 - No Grand Rounds due to 41st Annual Pacific NW Update in OB/GYN and Women's Health
NOVEMBER 3, 2017
Dr. Jeffrey T. Jensen, MD, MPH, Leon Speroff Professor & Vice Chair, Research, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology Director, Women's Health Research Unit, Senior Scientist, Oregon National Primate Research CenterFamily Planning Research: Making Women's Lives Better
1. Improve management of hormonal contraception bleeding problems
2. Provide recommendations for emergency contraception
NOVEMBER 10, 2017
Brian Gibbs, PhD, MPA, Chief Diversity Officer, Oregon Health & Science UniversityHealth Equity: Challenges & Opportunities
1. Describe barriers to equity in health and healthcare.
2. Explain causes, consequences & opportunities to further health equity at OHSU.
3. Become familiar with OHSU Campus-wide Initiative on Unconscious Bias.
NOVEMBER 17, 2017 - Multidisciplinary Grand Rounds
Elise Erickson, MS, CNM, (PhD Candidate)Normal Physiologic Childbirth: An Approach to Care
1. Become familiar with the purpose and components of the 2012 joint consensus statement on Normal Physiologic Childbirth.
2. Consider the reported benefits of and limitations of the Normal Physiologic model.
3. Reflect upon our individual, professional and collective approach to normal birth.
4. Consider date from OHSU midwifery faculty practice on normal physiologic birth measures.
5. Learn about national initiatives to reduce primary cesarean birth through the physiologic model.
NOVEMBER 21, 2017 - Nurse-Midwifery Grand Rounds - In the Community
NOVEMBER 24, 2017 - No Grand Rounds due to Thanksgiving holiday
DECEMBER 1, 2017
Brandon Togioka, MD, Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Oregon Health & Science University
Spinal Pathology in Pregnancy
1. Identify the risks inherent to delivering a child in the setting of various types of spinal pathology.
2. Counsel patients with central nervous system pathology on their options for labor analgesia.
3. Manage complications in the pregnant patient with spinal pathology.
DECEMBER 8, 2017
John Schorge, MD, Gynecologic Oncologist, Tufts Medical Center
Ovarian Cancer: In Search of Lost Time
1. Understand the origins of 'ovarian cancer
2. Appreciate the evolving nature of treatment
DECEMBER 15, 2017- Multidisciplinary Grand Rounds
Not Open to the Public
DECEMBER 22, 2017 - No Grand Rounds due to holidays
DECEMBER 29, 2017 - No Grand Rounds due to holidays
Recordings of past events
As of September 2011, some OB-GYN Grand Rounds may be available online following the lecture. No CME credit is available for viewing lectures online. See recordings of past OBGYN Grand Rounds.