Ob-Gyn Grand Rounds
Residents, Medical Students, Nurses, Medical Assistants and women's health professionals are encouraged to attend.
The objective of our program is to enhance knowledge for healthcare providers in the field of obstetrics and gynecology.
Talks are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.
OB-GYN GRAND ROUNDS LECTURES
JULY & AUGUST 2015 - No Grand Rounds
SEPTEMBER 4, 2015 - No Grand Rounds (Labor Day weekend)
SEPTEMBER 11, 2015Aaron B. Caughey, M.D., Ph.D.,Professor and Chair, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, OHSU
The Department of OB/GYN at OHSU: Past, Present, and Future
- Understand the clinical roles of the Department of OB/GYN in Portland and Oregon.
- Know about the research accomplishments and goals of the Department of OB/GYN.
- Know the education goals, program, and accomplishments of the Department of OB/GYN.
SEPTEMBER 18, 2015Jeffrey T. Jensen, M.D., M.P.H.,Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology. Director, Women's Health Research Unit. Vice-Chair for Research in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology. Affiliate Scientist, Oregon National Primate Research Center. OHSU
OPERM. Nonsurgical permanent contraception research
- Discuss the prevalence of permanent female contraception.
- Compare animal models used in reproductive studies.
- Describe emerging strategies for nonsurgical tubal occlusion.
SEPTEMBER 25, 2015 - Multidisciplinary Case Grand Rounds - NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
- Jamie Lo, MD, Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Department of OB/GYN.
- Ryan Lam, MD, Fellow, Neonatal-Perinatal, Department of Pediatrics.
- Leo Han, MD, Fellow, Family Planning, Department of OB/GYN.
- Aaron Caughey, MD, PhD, Chair, Department of OB/GYN, Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine.
Peri-viability: Counseling and Management
- To review and evaluate short- and long-term outcome data of peri-viable deliveries.
- To review and discuss management options around peri-viability.
- To review policy implications.
- To better understand decision making under uncertainty.
OCTOBER 2, 2015
Jeanne E. Cheshier-Alvarado, MD, MPH. OB/GYN Core Faculty. Spectrum Health Medical Group. Assistant Professor, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine.
Why in the World Should We Care About Global Woman's Health?
- To give an update on the status of woman's health abroad.
- To be introduced to the existing disparities in global health care and education.
- To present good health and healthcare as a human right.
- To understand why Global Woman's Health matters on various levels.
- To share ways to participate in Global Woman's Health.
OCTOBER 9, 2015
- Berklee Robins, M.D.,Associate Professor, Department of Anesthesiology. OHSU Clinical Ethics Consultation Service.
- Debbie Lamberger, MPA, Ambulatory Care Manager, OHSU Clinical Ethics Consultation Service
- Melissa Monner, M.S., OHSU Patient Advocate and Co-chair OHSU Clinical Ethics Consult Service
Medical Ethics in Clinical Practice
- Understand what the clinical ethics consult service is, and how to utilize it.
- Understand the concept of moral distress.
- Understand the primary principles of ethical decision making.
- Understand the ethical decision making process through analysis of clinical and psychosocial information.
OCTOBER 16, 2015
Amy Cantor, M.D.,Assistant Professor, Departments of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology, Family Medicine, and Obstetrics & Gynecology. Primary Care Division - Center for Women's Health. OHSU
Routine Screening and Supplementation for Iron Deficiency Anemia during Pregnancy
- Describe how screening and supplementation for IDA during pregnancy may affect clinical outcomes.
- Understand how new evidence may contribute to screening decisions of patients and clinicians.
- Understand the meaning and impact behind USPSTF recommendations.
- Apply clinical recommendations to medical practice.
OCTOBER 23, 2015 - Multidisciplinary Case Grand Rounds - NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
OCTOBER 30, 2015Amer Karam, M.D.,Associate Clinical Professor, Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Stanford University Medical Center. Speaker, Bright Pink®
Breast and Ovarian Cancer Prevention: Risk Stratification and Management in Young Women
- Discuss breast and ovarian cancer risk with their young, female patients and feel a sense of urgency to initiate these conversations.
- Identify which patients are at increased risk for developing breast or ovarian cancer and refer them for genetic counseling and testing as needed.
- Ensure high-risk young women understand their options for prevention and early detection.
- Encourage all young, female patients to practice healthy lifestyle habits, regardless of their risk level, in an effort to reduce their likelihood for developing breast and ovarian cancer.
- Help young women develop strategies to be proactive advocates for their health.
NOVEMBER 6, 2015 - No Grand Rounds - Annual Northwest Update in OB/GYN & Women's Health
NOVEMBER 13, 2015 - To be announced.
NOVEMBER 20, 2015 - Multidisciplinary Case Grand Rounds - NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
NOVEMBER 27, 2015 - No Grand Rounds (day after Thanksgiving Day holiday)
DECEMBER 4, 2015
- Paula Amato, M.D., Associate Professor, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility, Department of OB/GYN, OHSU G.
- Michael Silberbach, M.D.,Professor, Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, OHSU
- Katie A. Woods, M.D., Assistant Professor, Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Department of Pediatrics, OHSU
DECEMBER 11, 2015Robert McLafferty, M.D.,Professor, Department of Surgery, OHSU
DECEMBER 18, 2015 - Multidisciplinary Case Grand Rounds - NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
DECEMBER 25, 2015 - No Grand Rounds
JANUARY 1, 2016 - No Grand Rounds
JANUARY 8, 2016 - To be announced.
JANUARY 15, 2016 - No Grand Rounds (departmental meeting)
JANUARY 22, 2016 - No Multidisciplinary Case Grand Rounds (CREOG Exams)
JANUARY 29, 2016 - No Grand Rounds (departmental Annual Research Symposium)
Recordings of past events
As of September 2011, some OB-GYN Grand Rounds may be available online following the lecture. No CME credit is available for viewing lectures online. See recordings of past OBGYN Grand Rounds.