Ob-Gyn Grand Rounds
Residents, Medical Students, Nurses, Medical Assistants and women's health professionals are encouraged to attend.
The objective of our program is to enhance knowledge for healthcare providers in the field of obstetrics and gynecology.
Talks are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.
OB-GYN GRAND ROUNDS LECTURES
JULY & AUGUST 2016 - NO GRAND ROUNDS
SEPTEMBER 2 2016 - No Grand Rounds (Labor Day weekend)
SEPTEMBER 9, 2016Aaron B. Caughey, M.D., Ph.D., Professor and Chair, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, OHSU
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology: An Update on Team OB/GYN
- Summarize the Clinical achievements over the past year.
- Summarize the Educational achievements over the past year.
- Summarize the Research achievements over the past year.
SEPTEMBER 16, 2016Thomas G. DeLoughery, M.D., M.A.C.P., F.A.W.M., Professor of Medicine, Pathology and Pediatrics in the Divisions of Hematology/Oncology and Laboratory Medicine, OHSU
Update in DVT/PE
- Learn when to use therapies such as thrombolysis and IVC filters in the treatment of venous thrombosis.
- Learn how to determine length of therapy for venous thrombosis.
- Learn when - and when not- to use the new anticoagulants.
SEPTEMBER 23, 2016- Multidisciplinary Case Grand Rounds- OPEN TO THE PUBLICJamie B. Warren, M.D.., M.P.H., Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, OHSU
Delayed Cord Clamping: An Update on the Evidence and Description of an Upcoming Clinical Trial at OHSU
- Describe the most current evidence and outcomes for delayed cord clamping in term and preterm infants.
- Understand the current direction of research on the topic of enhanced placental transfusion for neonates.
- Understand the role of the obstetric provider in VentFirst, the upcoming multicenter clinical trial that tests the initiation of ventilation during delayed cord clamping for extremely preterm neonates.
SEPTEMBER 30, 2016Amanda Sadecky, M.D., Assistant Professor, Department of OB/GYN, OHSU
Ureteral Injuries in Gynecologic Surgery: Avoidance, Recognition, and Repair
- Understand the anatomy of the ureter within the pelvis, particularly with relationship to the gynecologic organs.
- Discuss several strategies to reduce the risk of ureteral injury.
- Evaluate various diagnostic techniques for detection of ureteral injury.
OCTOBER 7, 2016
Amy Valent, D.O., Assistant Professor, Department of OB/GYN, Division of Perinatology, OHSU
The Crystal Ball to Future Disease: Diabetes Mellitus in Pregnancy and Introducing OHSU DAPP Guidelines
- Understand the impact of metabolic dysfunction in pregnancy for the future health of pregnant mothers, their babies, and the family unit.
- Recognize your role in making a difference in promoting health and nutrition.
- Acknowledge a useful resource/tool for providers caring for pregnant women.
OCTOBER 14, 2016Karen Adams, M.D., Professor, Department of OB/GYN, OHSU
Amy Stenson, M.D., Assistant Professor, Department of OB/GYN, OHSU
Residency Education 2016-2017
- Summarize areas identified for improvement in the residency training program in the 2016 Annual Program Review.
- Explain the Milestone framework and its importance to resident feedback and evaluation.
- Understand and begin using MyTipReport to provide timely feedback on surgical performance and milestones.
OCTOBER 21, 2016
Thomas DeLoughery, M.D., M.A.C.P., F.A.W.M., Professor,
What are common symptoms of iron deficiency?
- What is the best way to diagnose iron deficiency?
- What are the best options for iron replacement?
OCTOBER 28, 2016- Multidisciplinary Case Grand Rounds- OPEN TO THE PUBLIC Understand the evolution of management of neonates born to mothers with chorioamnionitis at OHSU.
- Develop a framework for initiating a quality improvement project.
- Describe the impacts of the standard of care practice change surrounding the care of neonates born to mothers with chorioamnionitis.
November 4, 2016- No Grand Rounds November 11, 2016 Describe the medical consequences including increased mortality rates in untreated women following surgical menopause.
- Describe effects of estrogen therapy in controlling symptoms, reducing disease risk, and reducing mortality.
- Describe the issues involved in resistance to estrogen therapy among women and healthcare providers.
November 18, 2016- Multidisciplinary Case Grand Rounds- NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC Describe the current evidence regarding the risks and benefits of water immersion during labor and water birth. Describe the water birth/water immersion practice protocol at OHSU.
- Describe the role of patient satisfaction and shared decision making in offering water birth and water immersion.
November 25, 2016- No Grand Rounds (Thanksgiving Holiday) December 2, 2016 Explain why early and late initiation of HRT result in different cardiovascular effects.
- Discuss different effects of oral and transdermal estrogen therapy.
- Describe cardiovascular risks of progesterone therapy.
December 9, 2016-CANCELLED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER December 16, 2016- CANCELLED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER December 23, 2016- No Grand Rounds (Due to Holiday Season) December 30, 2016- No Grand Rounds (Due to Holiday Season) January 6, 2017 Consider leadership from the perspective of four practices (articulating a vision for a desired future, connecting with colleagues, influencing up, down, and across, and moving to action through experiments).
- Create a personal practice plan tailored to increase capacity in one of the four practices.
January 13, 2017- No Grand Rounds (Due to Rank Meeting) January 20, 2017 Describe the key elements, two phases, and overall cool aspects of the YourMD medical student curriculum.
- Determine what opportunities exist for you to become more involved in medical student education at OHSU.
January 27, 2017-No Multidisciplinary Grand Rounds (Due to CREOG Exam) February 3, 2017 To review the epidemiology of postpartum hemorrhage.
- To provide an update on pharmacological interventions for the prevention and management of postpartum hemorrhage.
- To discuss modern approaches related to the transfusion management of postpartum hemorrhage.
February 10, 2017- OHSU Performance Excellence Week
Lori Ellingson, Director, Surgical and Oncology Services, Bryon Leeper, Supervisor, Department of Logistics, and Mark Smith, Performance Improvement Consultant, Department of Quality Management
- Describe how Linen Optimization has reduced waste on linen processed by an average of 16% per unit in the pilot division. Depending on the linen needs in the pilot division, a reduction represents a range of 1.39lbs of linen per patient-3.46lbs of linen per patient.
- Understand how linen usage not only ha a fiscal impact at OHSU, but an ecological impact on our environment.
- Describe how being conscientious about linen use and the use of flat sheets in place of draw sheets, utilization on 2 unites was reduced by 29% in one unit, and 31% in another.
Liz Stevenson, Dept Administrator, Department of Psychiatry and Whitney Black, M.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry
Zero Suicide Initiative
- Identify the benefits of implementing a self scoring patient survey regarding mental state of mind.
- Describe how the "OWL" system works for providers and for patients.
- Discuss how the Zero Suicide mission could positively affect patient outcomes.
February 17, 2017 To discuss the incidence of cancer in pregnancy.
- To review the pregnancy management with a concurrent cancer diagnosis including diagnostic imaging, surgery, and chemotherapy.
- To discuss unique issues for cancer survivors and pregnancy.
February 24, 2017- Multidisciplinary Grand Rounds-OPEN TO THE PUBLIC Identify with patients are good candidates for nitrous oxide use on Labor and Delivery.
- Be able to educate, screen, and document for patients using nitrous oxide.
March 3, 2017 Understand current quality improvement projects involving maternal morbidity initiatives in obstetrics.
- Learn how to create a quality improvement project within your institution and how to further collaborate on a state and national level.
Review the importance of quality improvement in resident education.
- Learn about current ongoing quality and safety improvement projects by residents at OHSU.
March 10, 2017 To gain familiarity with the scope of the obesity epidemic.
- To gain understanding of the barriers to effective therapy.
- To become cognizant of the various surgical and non-surgical options for durable weight loss.
- To gain familiarity with the risks, benefits, and safety profiles of bariatric surgical options.
- To understand the association of obesity with cancer and the impact of significant weight loss.
March 17, 2017 Discuss challenges associated with multipurpose prevention technology (MPT) development. March 24, 2017- No Multidisciplinary Grand Rounds (Due to Spring Break) March 31, 2017 Understand the current legal context for abortion in Mexico.
- Describe current work on late presentation for care and geographic access to care.
- Describe novel approaches and methods to address common data limitations.
- Intelligently engage at a cocktail party about an abortion research agenda in Mexico.
April 7, 2017 Understand the new ACOG Guidelines for labor management.
- Understand the data regarding active labor managment.
Understand the elements of an effective patient handoff and why it's an essential aspect of patient care.
- Discuss opportunities to teach effective transitions of care.
April 14, 2017 Review the risk of future health complications following pregnancy-related diagnoses.
- Discuss possible interventions.
- Optimize prenatal care and transition to primary care providers.
April 21, 2017 Multidisciplinary Grand Rounds- OPEN TO THE PUBLIC Identify characteristics of patients at risk for:
- Short inter-pregnancy interval
- Not attending postpartum appointments
April 28, 2017 Understand the current issues and most common allegations with respect to obstetrical medical malpractice claims.
- Learn the elements of personal risk management. That is, learn what can be done in a medical practice everyday to decrease the chance of being accused of negligence.
- Understand the concept and principles of the "high reliability perinatal unit" and the obstetrician's role in preventing adverse outcomes.
May 5, 2017 May 12, 2017 May 19, 2017- No Grand Rounds (Due to Mock Oral Exams) June 2, 2017 June 9, 2017- No Grand Rounds (Due to Resident Research Day) June 16, 2017
Recordings of past events
As of September 2011, some OB-GYN Grand Rounds may be available online following the lecture. No CME credit is available for viewing lectures online. See recordings of past OBGYN Grand Rounds.