Department of Neurological Surgery Distinguished Alumni Award
The OHSU Department of Neurological Surgery appreciates that there are many distinguished former departmental residents who have made significant achievements in, and contributions to, academic and clinical neurosurgical practice. In recognition of their contribution to the field the department has created an annual Distinguished Alumni Award. The award will be presented usually each year at the Paxton Alumni Reunion and the honored awardee will be called upon to give a short presentation on a subject of their choosing.
Dr. Ono is active in retirement. An avid competitive golfer, who picked up the game in his mid-50’s, he remains active in neuroscience research with a particular interest in embryonic stem cell research. In 2009, he joined the Oregon National PrimateResearch Center, OHSU as a part-time researcher collaborating with Shoukhrat Mitalipov, Ph.D. He is affiliated with the National Institute of Genetics Mishima, Shizuoka, Japan and was appointed director elect of the stem cell regeneration treatment center, Department of Neurosurgery, Nishijima Hospital, Numazu, Shizuoka, Japan, in 2010.
Distinguished Alumni Award
- 2010 — Hirohisa Ono, M.D., Portland, Ore.
- 2009 — Calvin Tsugio Tanabe, M.D., Portland, Ore.
2008 — Perry Camp, M.D. and Guy Gehling, M.D., Walla Walla, Wash.
2007 — Larry Tice, M.D., Grand Junction, Colo.
Alumni 2013 - The Chiefs Move On
- Dr. Mark Piedra is in private practice in Montana.
- Dr. Eric Thompson a pediatric fellowship at McGill University, Ontario, Canada
- Dr. M Caglar Berk has joined the neurosurgical staff at Randall Children's Hospital, Legacy Emanuel, Portland, OR.
- Dr. Ahmed Raslan has joined the neurosurgical faculty at OHSU.
- Dr. Emun Abdu completed a fellowship at University of Washington, Seattle, WA and is now practicing in Tucson, AZ
- Dr. Samuel Hughes is with Northwest Permanente in Portland, OR
- Dr. Zachary Litvack completed a Pituitary/Anterior Skull Base Fellowship at the Brigham and Womens Hospital in Boston, MA. He is now an Assistant Professor at The George Washington University, Department of Neurological Surgery
- Dr. Jason Weinstein is with Northwest Permanente in Portland. Dr. Weinstein’s clinical interests are general neurosurgery, epilepsy and advanced imaging.
- Dr. Justin Cetas completed a fellowship in skull base surgery at OHSU with Dr. Johnny B. Delashaw, Jr., MD. In 2010 accepted a position of neurosuregon at the Portland VA.
- Dr. Kiarash Golshani completed a vascular/interventional fellowship at Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC. He now practices at Loma Linda University Medical Center, CA
- Dr. Jonathan Carlson is with Sacred Heart Medical Center & Children's Hospital, Inland Neurosurgery and Spine Associates, Spokane. WA.
- Dr. Kenneth Liu completed a 2-year fellowship in interventional neuroradiology at OHSU with Dr. Stanley Barnwell. In 2010 he accepted a position at the University of Virginia Health System's Department of Neurosurgery.
- Dr. Warren Roberts accepted a position with Avista Adventist Hospital, a member of Centura Health, Colorado's largest healthcare system. Dr Roberts now practices in Tualatin, OR
- Dr. Matthew Hunt spent a year as a specialist registrar at the Victor Horsley Department of Neurosurgery, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (NHNN), Queen Square, London. and accepted a neurosurgical faculty position at the University of Minnesota, beginning July 2009.
For more information regarding any of the above information please contact Heidi Waldo at 503-494-6207.