OHSU is an institution dedicated to healing, teaching and research. As such, the mission of the OHSU Department of Neurological Surgery is to promote:
- High quality health care delivery in the clinical neurosciences emphasizing innovation and the dissemination of new knowledge
- An environment that stimulates a spirit of inquiry, initiative and cooperation between and among all members of the OHSU community
- Research into the prevention and cure of neurological disease and disability
- Community outreach programs in health education, research and patient care that facilitate our mission as part of an educational institution and as a statewide consultative resource for the clinical neurosciences
This is the foundation upon which the department continues to grow and prepare for the next millennium of neurosurgical care, training and research.
Among the nationally and internationally recognized aspects of the Department are:
- Providing neurotrauma care in a multi-specialty Level I trauma center
- Largest neuroscience intensive care unit (ICU) in the Pacific Northwest
- Newest and fastest growing spine center in the Pacific Northwest
- Advanced surgical technology, including intraoperative magnetic resonance (iMR) imaging, and computer-guided surgery
- Nationally and internationally recognized programs in:
- Pediatric Neurosurgery, including brain tumor care
- Movement disorder surgery, including deep brain stimulation (DBS)
- Pain surgery
- Epilepsy surgery
- Skull base tumor and vascular surgery
- Endovascular surgery and advanced stroke care
- Neurooncology, including medical and surgical treatment of brain tumors
- In the top two national neuroscience research centers in the U.S.
We hope you will find our website to be a useful resource as you navigate the complexities of your healthcare questions and concerns.
Nathan R. Selden, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.C.S.
Campagna Professor and Chair