Faculty in the OHSU Internal Medicine/Geriatrics Program are engaged in numerous projects to improve the health of older adults as well as improve the health care system in its care of elders through participation in local, regional, and national research collaborations. The Geriatrics research team has a focus on healthy aging, end- of-life planning and care, falls prevention, electronic health tools, and interprofessional education to enhance the care of older adults.
Selected Research Projects
Tai Chi and Parkinson;s Disease
PI: Fuzhong Li, PhD; Ohsu GIM Co-Investigator: Elizabeth Eckstrom, MD, MPH
Funding Agency: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
The goal of this project is to determine if tai chi can improve postural stability in patients with Parkinson's disease.
Evidence-based Practice Center Evidence Reviews
PI: Evelyn Whitlock, MD, MPH; OHSU GIM Co-Investigator Elizabeth Eckstrom, MD, MPH
Funding Agency: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
Screening and Treatment of Dementia Interventions to Prevent Functional Decline in Older Adults
Healthy Aging Alliance
Co-Directors Elizabeth Eckstrom, MD, MPH, Henryk Urbanski, PhD, DSc, Lisa Wood, PhD, RN Funding Agency: Oregon Clinical and Translational Research Institute
The OHSU Healthy Aging Alliance seeks to promote healthy aging through partnerships, discovery, education, and outreach. We engage in team-based translational research to truly change the aging trajectory toward health and quality of life.
Setting a Geriatrics Research Agenda for SGIM
Co- Principle Investigators Elizabeth Eckstrom, MD, MPH, Hollis Day, MD, MS
Funding Agency: Association of Specialty Professors
The goal of this project is build a geriatric research agenda for researchers in SGIM
Predicting mortality in older adults with kidney disease: a pragmatic risk score
PI: Dr. Jessica Weiss; Mentor: Elizabeth Eckstrom, MD, MPH
The goal of this grant is to develop a risk score for predicting mortality in older adults with kidney disease
- Li, F, Harmer, P, Fitzgerald, K, Eckstrom, E, Stock, R, Galver, J, Maddalozzo, G, Batya, SS, Tai Chi Enhances Postural Stability in Parkinson's Disease Patients, NEJM, 2012;366:511-9
- Cayea, D, Eckstrom, E, Christmas, C, Update in Geriatric Medicine, JGIM, 2012: 27(3):371-5.
- Eckstrom, E, "Getting your staff on Board," in Geriatric Care by Design: A Clinician's Handbook to Meet the Needs of Older Adults through Environmental and Practice Redesign . Chicago, Ill: American Medical Association; 2011.
- Colon-Emeric C, O'Connell MB, Haney E. The Osteoporosis Piece of the Multi-Morbidity Puzzle. Mt. Sinai Journal of Medicine. July/Aug 2011. 78(4): 515-526.
- Diem S, Blackwell TL, Stone KL, Cauley JA, Hillier TA, Haney EM, Ensrud KE. Use of Antidepressant Medications and Risk of Fractures in Older Women. Calcified Tissue International. April 2011. DOI: 10.1007/s00223-011-9481-5.
- Nelson HD, Haney EM, Dana T, Bougatsos C, Chou R. Screening for Osteoporosis: Systematic review to update the 2002 U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation. (Prepared by Oregon Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2007-10057-I) Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. July 2010. AHRQ Publication No. 10-05145-EF-1. http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/uspstf10/osteoporosis/osteoes.pdf.
- Nelson HD, Haney EM, Chou R, Dana T, Bougatsos C. Screening for Osteoporosis: Systematic Evidence Review Update for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2010; 153(2): 99-111. First published July 5, 2010 on annals.org.
- Day, HD, Eckstrom, E, Sullivan, GM, Update in Geriatric Medicine, JGIM 2009; 24 (3): 421-6
- Singer, C, Luxenberg, J, Eckstrom, E. "Older Patients," in Behavioral Medicine: A Guide for Clinical Practice Third Edition. New York: McGraw Hill; 2008: 90-99.
- Haney EM, Chan BKS, Lambert L, Cauley J, Ensrud K, Orwoll E and Bliziotes MM. Association of Low Bone Mineral Denisty With Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor User by Older Men. Archives of Internal Medicine. June 25, 2007. 167(12):1246-1251.
- Diem SJ, Blackwell TL, Stone KL, Yaffe K, Haney E, Bliziotes M, Ensrud K. Use of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors and Tricyclic Antidepressants and Rates of Bone Loss at the Hip in Older Women. Archives of Internal Medicine. June 25, 2007. 167(12):1240-1245.
- Vesco K, Haney E, Humphrey L, Fu R, Nelson H. Influence of Menopause on Mood: A Systematic Review of Cohort Studies. Climacteric. Dec 2007. 10(6): 448-65.
- Li, F., Harmer, P., Fisher, K John, McAuley, E., Chaumeton, N. Eckstrom, E., & Wilson, N. L. Tai Chi and Fall Reductions in Older Adults: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences, 2005; 60A(2):187-194.
Lin, JS, O'Connor, E, Rossum, RC, Perdue, LP, Eckstrom, E, Screening for Cognitive Impairment in Older Adults: A Systematic Review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, Annals of Intern Med,2013;159:601-612: doi:10.7326/0003-4819-159-9-201311050-00730.
Feeny DH, Eckstrom E, Whitlock EP, Perdue LA. A Primer for Systematic Reviewers on the Measurement of Functional Status and Health-Related Quality of Life in Older Adults. (Prepared by the Kaiser Permanente Research Affiliates Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2007-10057-I.) AHRQ Publication No. 13-EHC128-EF. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. September 2013.