The OHSU OMS externship offers qualified third and fourth year dental students an opportunity to gain firsthand experience within an oral and maxillofacial surgery residency, while providing an opportunity to learn from our residents and faculty. Externs will participate in rounds,conferences, operating rooms, clinics, and on-call duties. Our externship duration is two weeks, split between OHSU and Legacy Emanuel hospitals. We accept one extern at a time; application can be competitive.
Externs typically divide their time between OHSU and Legacy-Emanuel Hospitals. Externs are expected to participate in our program to the fullest extent possible by taking night call, attending surgical rounds, journal clubs, and scrubbing in to O.R. cases. Each extern will also give a brief presentation on an OMS topic of their choice during our weekly OHSU teaching conference.
No application will be considered until it is fully complete.OHSU does not have student housing; it's the extern's responsibility to make their own housing arrangements here in Portland, as well as cover their travel and personal expenses.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien with a green card indicating that you are a permanent resident of the United States.
- You must be a student in good standing at an ADA accredited School of Dentistry.
You must submit a complete application, including:
- OHSU Externship application form
- A brief description of your reasons for doing an externship including why, specifically, you'd like to do one at OHSU
- An up-to-date CV
- Your CBSE score report
- Your class rank, if you have one
- A brief letter of recommendation from a member of your school's OMS faculty (brief email will suffice)
- Professional malpractice insurance coverage with a minimum of $1 million peroccurrence, valid for the state of Oregon
- Verification of the following immunizations: Rubella, Rubeolaand Varicella; as well as Tuberculin and Hepatitis B status.
Please scan all application materials in a
single attachment and email:
To: Amy Corrigan:
For questions about the application, email Amy Corrigan: