Public Safety's primary role at OHSU is to ensure your peace of mind in a safe and secure environment. We are committed to serving our community with integrity, empathy and respect. Learn about our services.
Public Safety Blotter
This Public Safety Blotter summarizes many of the department's recent official actions. The contents are not all-inclusive and often feature non-criminal incidents.
The Blotter is posted to keep you informed about what's happening around you. Be aware and stay safe on campus.
- Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016 At approximately 8:48 a.m., a male adult approached a person walking in Parking Garage D and asked for money and about taking a shower. Officers contacted two people in the garage matching the description. The people did not have official business at OHSU and were asked to leave and departed campus cooperatively.
- Near the 9th floor C elevators in the main hospital at 7:59 p.m., a barefoot adult male was reported walking through the area possibly looking for a place to sleep. Officers arrived in the area but were unable to locate the person matching the description.
- Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2016 The women's restroom located in the Koehler Pavilion on the 7th floor was reported to be trashed sometime overnight.
- Around 12:47 p.m., a visitor was reported to be causing a disturbance at the Center for Health &Healing by yelling at staff. Officers contacted two people related to the disturbance, and the people were asked to leave. The two people left cooperatively.
- A person was hit by a slow moving car inside the Center for Health &Healing's parking garage and the driver left the area. Officers were able to locate the driver and assisted the parties with exchanging required information. The person struck by the vehicle sustained minor injuries and was referred to proper medical care.
- Thursday, Nov. 3, 2016 At approximately 11:37 a.m., officers responded to a call regarding a person who was refusing to leave the Emergency Department lobby. Officers contacted the person and escorted them to the bus stop. The person cooperatively left campus.
- In the ambulance parking area of the Emergency Department, an officer contacted a person who appeared to be having medical issues. The officer determined the person was a patient and medical staff were brought to the scene. The patient was returned to their unit safely.
- At 6:05 p.m., an adult male was wandering through the Collaborative Life Sciences Building and muttering random words and sentences. The person went into a retail space and refused to leave when asked by an employee. Officers arrived in the area and the subject left the building without any issues.
- Friday, Nov. 4, 2016 At approximately 12:55 p.m., a suspicious package was reported in the area of the Center for Health &Healing. Officers checked the area and located a bag. Shortly after locating the bag, the owner retrieved it.
- Around 3:40 p.m., a man was walking barefoot with a stick through the Whitaker Parking Lot while talking to himself. Officers contacted the man and issued him a trespass warning.
- Officers responded to the bike racks located near the Center for Health &Healing building around 3:59 p.m. on the report a subject attempting to take something off of a bike. The person left the area before officers arrived.
- Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016 In the area of Parking Garage C, level 1, officers contacted an individual punching a wall. Officers contacted the individual and found the person was recently discharged from the hospital and was upset. He declined medical attention. Officers talked with the individual and calmed him down before the person left campus cooperatively.
- Sunday, Nov. 6, 2016 At approximatly 1:45 p.m., a man was found lying on the sidewalk near the Casey Eye Institute. Officers contacted the man and assisted with getting him medical care.
- Around 5:23 p.m., a man stole items from the Marquam Café on the 3rd floor of the main hospital. Officers responded to the area and found the man on another unit in the hospital. The man refused officers' orders and resisted arrest. Officers were able to safely take him into custody and transport him to jail.
- Monday, Nov. 7, 2016 Around 1:13 p.m., a previously trespassed person was spotted outside of the 9th floor of the main hospital. Officers contacted the individual and found they also had outstanding warrants for their arrest. Officers took the person into custody and transported them to jail without incident.
- Officers responded to the Emergency Department on the report of an unknown disturbance. Three subjects were yelling at each other, but before officers arrived they had walked into the Garage C, level 1 area. Officers checked the area but were not able to locate any of the individuals.
- At the Physicians Pavilion Building, a male was yelling at people inside the lobby area. Officers found there were two people involved in an argument. Officers found there was no crime committed and escorted both individuals off campus.
- Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2016 At approximately 12:36 p.m., a possibly intoxicated man was reported in the Physical Plant Building. Officers arrived and contacted the man. The man refused medical attention and was issued a trespass warning and allowed to leave campus.
- Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2016 Officers responded to the report of an individual having a possible panic attack outside of Physicians Pavilion at around 12:13 p.m. Officers helped with getting the person required medical care, but determined they were also under the influence of an intoxicant. Officers found the person had driven to OHSU and took her keys for safe keeping. A sober family member later retrieved the keys and vehicle.
- At approximately 12:31 p.m., officers responded to the area of Terwilliger Boulevard and Campus Drive on the report of a person near the bus stop riding his bicycle in and out of traffic. Officers checked the area and found the subject near Sam Jackson Park Road. The officers checked on the man and found he was ok.
- Around 5:12 p.m. near the pharmacy inside the Center for Health &Healing, a man was reported to be pleasuring himself in the lobby. Officers contacted the man and found he had not exposed himself but had his hands down his pants. Officers trespassed the individual from all OHSU property.
- In the Kohler Pavilion building on the 12th floor, a credit card was reported stolen at around 8:13 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 10, 2016 At approximately 5:51 a.m., officers responded to an upset person in the lobby of the Emergency Department. The person was contacted by officers and did not have business at OHSU. Officers escorted the individual to the bus where the person left cooperatively.
- At the Collaborative Life Sciences Building a subject was reported panhandling outside at around 9:46 a.m. Officers responded and located the subject near the Schnitzer Parking Lot. The individual was issued a specific trespass warning for all OHSU waterfront campus buildings and property.
- Around 11:12 a.m., a subject was yelling outside of the second floor entrance to the Multnomah Pavilion building. Officers contacted the person and found the person was upset because a person he was trying to visit was no longer at the hospital. The person calmed down and cooperatively left campus.
- At around 12:52 p.m. in the Emergency Department lobby, a staff member was pushed by a person trying to get through a door into a closed area. Additional staff intervened and officers responded. Officers contacted the person and staff. Staff did not want to press charges, and the person wanted to leave voluntarily. Officers escorted the person out of the Emergency Department where they left on the bus.
- At the construction site near the Collaborative Life Sciences Building, graffiti was found on the cement wall at around 1:45p.m.
- At approximately 3:45 p.m., a caller reported a suspicious male possibly on drugs in the area of the 9th floor of the main hospital building. Officers located the person and found the person had an outstanding warrant for their arrest. Officers arrested the person and transported them to jail without incident.
- Friday, Nov. 11, 2016 A fraud was reported at around 11:20 a.m. A person tried sending an email to the payroll department to direct a paycheck into another account. The transaction was caught and an investigation initiated.
- Saturday, Nov. 12, 2016 At approximately 8:46 a.m. outside of the Collaborative Life Sciences Building, a man was running around and throwing things. Officers contacted the man and trespassed him from all OHSU-owned property.
- Around 6:37 p.m. outside of the Macadam Warehouse building a person was yelling and screaming. Officers checked the area but the person had left the area before their arrival.
- Sunday, Nov. 13, 2016 At approximately 10:20 a.m., officers responded to the report of confused man, rambling incoherently on the 9th floor of the main hospital. Officers searched the area and were able to locate the man. The man was assisted with getting proper medical care.
- Monday, Nov. 14, 2016 At around 6:21 a.m., officers responded to the report of a possibly confused person, wrapped in a blanket standing near Shriner's on Sam Jackson Park Road. Officers checked the area but were unable to locate a subject matching the description.
- A theft of personal items were reported at Physicians Pavilion around 8:18 a.m.
- At the Marquam Plaza building, a man was reported sitting in the lobby of the building that did not appear to belong. Officer contacted the man and found he did not have business with OHSU. The man left the building cooperatively.
- At approximately 1:52 p.m., officers responded to a report of a man sleeping on the P2 level of the Center for Health &Healing parking garage. The man was contacted and was asked to leave.
- Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016 Outside of Sam Jackson Hall, a male was panhandling around 8:30 a.m. Officers contacted the man, and he was asked to leave. Officers escorted him to the bus stop, and the man left campus.
- At around 10:23 a.m., officers responded to the report of a man acting strangely and asking strange questions at the Multnomah Pavilion Café. Officers contacted a man who refused to identify himself. Officers trespassed the man and escorted him to the bus stop. The man then refused to leave on the bus and walked down Campus Drive and off of campus.
- A car was reported stolen from the Richmond Clinic sometime on Nov. 11 between noon and 8:15 p.m.
- At approximately 11:56 p.m., officers responded on the report of a male stealing food from the 3rd floor cafeteria. The man had already left, and officers checked around the hospital. The male returned to the cafeteria, and officers stopped him. The man was given a criminal citation for the thefts.
- Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2016 At around 6:16 p.m., a man on a bike, possibly tagging a sign, was reported near the OHSU sign on Sam Jackson Park Road. Officers contacted the man and found no evidence of any crime.
- Thursday, Nov. 17, 2016 At approximately 12:18 a.m. a man was found camping in a waiting room of the main hospital building. Officers trespassed the person from all OHSU property, and the man left cooperatively.
- A man followed a valet employee from the Schnitzer Parking Lot to the Collaborative Life Sciences Building. The man was yelling incoherently at the employee. Officers responded to the area at 10:20 a.m., but the man left before they arrived.
- Friday, Nov. 18, 2016 At around 07:06 a.m. a man was reported sleeping in the forested area outside the main gate of the Oregon National Primate Research Center. Assistance was requested from an outside police agency, and the man was asked to leave.
- Officers responded to the report of a car prowler on the P4 level of Garage F. The person was described as wearing a red jacket and running away quickly with something in his hand. Officers arrived in the area and did not locate a subject or any damaged vehicles. Officers noticed valet employees in the area who were wearing red jackets.
- At approximately 10:38 p.m., officers responded to the report of a man yelling racial slurs outside of the Center for Health &Healing Building. Officers contacted the man and found there were no crimes committed and asked the man to leave.
- Monday, Sept. 19, 2016 At approximately 3:08 a.m., a caller reported a van parked in Garage B with people inside for a period of days. The caller reported seeing an air mattress sticking out of the back of the vehicle. Officers contacted two individuals in the vehicle and determined they were visiting a patient at the hospital.
- At approximately 11:32 a.m., a caller reported a person
dressed in only a hospital gown and socks was entering Garage F and requested a
welfare check. Officers arrived in the area and found the patient was OK and
had left the hospital in search of a cigarette lighter. The patient safely
returned to his hospital room.
- At approximately 3:49 p.m., skateboarders were reported outside of the back entrance of the Collaborative Life Sciences Building. When officers arrived, the skateboarders left the area.
- Tuesday, Sept. 20, 2016 At approximately 4:55 p.m., callers reported hearing screaming for help inside of a restroom of the Biomedical Information Communications Center. When officers arrived they found a person had fallen and injured themselves. Officers assisted the person with getting proper medical attention.
- Thursday, Sept. 22, 2016 At approximately 1:52 p.m., a caller reported finding the Russell Street Clinic unlocked, but could not locate any staff. It was determined the clinic was closed for the day. An officer checked the building and ensured it was secure.
- At approximately 4:30 p.m., it was reported an unknown vehicle leaving Garage K hit the garage door and a stop sign, before driving away. Officers arrived in the area and could not locate the involved vehicle.
- Friday, Sept. 23, 2016 At approximately 6:57 p.m., a vehicle break in was reported in Garage F. The window of the vehicle was broken to gain access to items inside.
- At approximately 7:31 p.m., numerous 911 hang-up calls were received from the main hospital building. Officers found a person asking for police, but found the person did not require police assistance and no crimes had been committed.
- At approximately 1:24 p.m., a caller reported an adult and young child had been waiting inside the Casey Eye Institute for an extended period of time and requested a welfare check. Officers contacted the person and determined they did not require assistance and were waiting for a ride.
- Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016 At approximately 11:23 a.m., a possible car prowler was reported in Garage F. The person was reported to be looking into vehicles. Officers responded to the area and contacted individuals in the area, but did not locate any vehicle damage or evidence of any crimes committed.
- At approximately 12:06 p.m., a caller reported an unknown individual followed her into the Biomedical Information Communication Center without using individual badge access and entered a study room.
- Officers contacted an individual inside the building who did not have authorization to be inside the building after hours. The individual left cooperatively.
- At approximately 2:34 p.m., a person was reported to be seen rummaging through the contents behind the coffee bar area in the main lobby of the Center for Health and Healing Building. Officers arrived in the area, but the subject left on the streetcar prior to their arrival.
- At approximately 5:22 p.m., officers responded to the area of the Emergency Department on the report of a person refusing to leave. Officers contacted the person and were able to get them to cooperatively leave campus.
- Sunday, Sept. 25, 2016 At approximately 3:40 p.m., a person was reported as staggering and stumbling in OHSU Hospital. Officers contacted a person matching the description and determined they needed to be medically evaluated. Officers assisted the individual with getting proper medical attention.
- At approximately 4:11 p.m., a person was reported running down Sam Jackson Park Road. Officers could not locate the person seen running. No other calls about the person were received.
- At approximately 7:10 p.m., a caller reported seeing an individual who was asked to leave campus earlier. Officers contacted a person and determined no crime had been committed and the person left on the bus.
- Monday, Sept. 26, 2016 At approximately 8:30 a.m., a caller reported being followed by an angry bicyclist to the Bancroft Building. The caller did not want to pursue a complaint and officers were unable to locate the bicyclist.
- Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2016 At approximately 10:29 p.m., a caller reported a person yelling, screaming, and throwing things in the OHSU Hospital building. Officers contacted the person and determined she did not have business at the hospital. The person was asked to leave and cooperated.
- Thursday, Sept. 29, 2016 At approximately 6:53 a.m., a person was reported lying on the ground at a bus stop near the Casey Eye Institute and a welfare check was requested. Officers checked the area and were not able to locate the person.
- At approximately 8:09 p.m., a car prowler was reported in Parking Lot 60. Officers contacted a person matching the description. Officers determined no crime had been committed and the person was given directions off campus.
- At approximately 9:06 p.m., a caller reported an unruly person at the Emergency Department. Officers arrived and calmed the person. The person cooperatively left campus.
- Monday, Oct. 3, 2016 At approximately 4 a.m., a caller requested a door unlock on the 5th floor of South Hospital. Officers arrived to assist a person with a door unlock. The officer suspected something was amiss and proceeded to question the requester. The officer escorted the person out of the hospital and called for a cover officer. Officers returned to the 5th floor to investigate further and determined that the 5th floor had been burglarized. Officers found the suspect's backpack with his identification inside. Officers are pursuing the case and criminal charges against the suspect.
- At approximately 2:30 p.m., an officer took a report of multiple incidents of graffiti on the south waterfront near the Collaborative Life Sciences Building and in the Schnitzer parking lot. Officers have a suspect description and are working to identify the suspect based on the information gathered.
- At approximately 7 p.m., a victim called to report that more than $500 worth of belongings and cash had been stolen from his car while he was visiting a sick relative in the hospital. The victim's car was parked in the Kohler Pavilion Parking Structure (Garage K). No suspect has been identified at this time.
- Thursday, Oct. 6, 2016 At approximately 10 a.m., an employee reported that the front license plate from her vehicle had been stolen. The vehicle was parked in Garage D from about 5 to 9 a.m.
- Friday, Oct. 7, 2016 Officers responded to an off-site OHSU location to perform a threat assessment regarding threats made against OHSU and OHSU providers. Officers worked with staff to assess the credibility of the threats and developed a plan to protect OHSU and OHSU providers.
- Monday, Oct. 10, 2016 At approximately 11:30 p.m., officers received a call of a woman running down Southwest Sam Jackson Park Road with no shoes and IVs hanging out of her arms. Officers responded within seconds. The woman was identified as a wanted criminal. When the suspect saw the officers, she jumped from Southwest Sam Jackson Park Road and proceeded down the hill through the brush. Officers established a perimeter and were assisted by Portland Police in searching for the woman to ensure that she sustained no further injuries in her effort to get away. Officers were unable to locate the suspect, but she has been identified.
- Friday, Oct. 14, 2016 Officers assisted an employee with safety planning for her time both at and away from OHSU. Officers worked with the employee to ensure she was safe, knew the resources available to her and was able to effectively navigate the legal system to obtain the protection she needs.
- Saturday, Oct. 15, 2016 Officers dealt with an individual who was
harassing medical staff by repeatedly calling the staff. Officers gathered the initial
information necessary for a more complete threat assessment and referred the
case to a team of threat assessment experts.
- Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2016 At approximately 10:34 p.m., a student reported while walking to class at the Collaborative Life Sciences Building was spit on by a transient male while walking on Southwest Moody. The man made threatening comments and then intentionally spit on the student. DPS officers were notified of the incident roughly 12 hours after it occurred. No suspect was identified. A reminder that DPS officers are available to respond both on Marquam Hill and the Southwest Waterfront campuses 24 hours a day.
- Wednesday, Oct. 19, 2016 At approximately 9 a.m., a man was reported as trespassing in the Vollum Greenhouse. The man had been using lab equipment and chemicals despite having no affiliation with OHSU and no business being in the lab. The man was contacted and photographed by a suspicious lab employee who quickly reported the incident to DPS. Later the same day, a birth certificate and GED were found by an OHSU employee on the Connor trail located behind Richard Jones Hall and Vollum. DPS officers were able to piece together the owner of the birth certificate as the same individual who had improperly accessed the Vollum lab. Several items had gone missing from the lab during the weeks leading up to contacting the suspect. The suspect has a history of attempting to make methamphetamines despite having no background in chemistry. DPS officers contacted the probation officer for the suspect. A warrant was issued for the suspect. The suspect was located within a few days by Portland Police Bureau officers. DPS officers responded to the scene and took custody of the suspect. Suspect was booked on multiple charged including the attempted manufacture of a controlled substance.
- Thursday, Oct. 20, 2016 Sometime between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m., there was a vehicle break-in in Garage C. A window to the vehicle was smashed and valuables were stolen from inside of the vehicle. No suspect was identified.
- Saturday, Oct. 22, 2016 On the night of Oct. 22, there was a counterfeit $20 bill used to pay for food items at the OHSU 3rd floor cafeteria. Officers are investigating and the case will be turned over to the U.S. Secret Service for follow-up.
- Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2016 Officers had multiple contacts involving a particular vehicle in Garage C. The owner of the vehicle consented to a search of the vehicle. A significant amount of drug paraphernalia were removed from the vehicle and destroyed. Stolen items were also recovered from inside the vehicle.
- Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2016 At approximately 5:05 p.m., a missing person was reported to OHSU DPS officers. Officers conducted a search of the campus including the surrounding areas and were unable to locate the individual. Officers reached out to the Portland Police Bureau for help with checking off-site addresses. Officers entered the individual into the national database for missing persons.
- Friday, Oct. 28, 2016 At approximately 1:05 p.m., officers were
dispatched to a couple smoking methamphetamine on the 7th floor
Kohler Pavilion terrace. Officers made contact with the individuals and located
drug paraphernalia with trace amounts of methamphetamine residue. The two
admitted to earlier use of methamphetamine. The individuals were released and
permitted to check into the Emergency Department for care. The individuals have
been trespassed from OHSU for 30 days.
- Sunday, Oct. 30, 2016 At approximately 4:10 a.m., officers noticed a male and female adult arguing in Parking Garage C on level 2. The two individuals were dropped off by friends in the area and were attempting to find their way home. The male was not cooperative and left campus, followed shortly after by the female.
- A person reported damage to their vehicle in Parking Garage F level 5 at approximately 7:40 a.m. It appeared that it was a hit and run, and one vehicle had hit the rear of the victim's vehicle and did not leave a note.
- At approximately 2:15 p.m., officers responded to a report of an individual wearing a red rain coat attempting to steal copper wire in Parking Lot 60. Officers contacted the individual and determined the person was staying in the recreational vehicle area and setting up the attachments.
- Monday, Oct. 31, 2016 Around 5:26 p.m., officers responded to the 9th Floor of the hospital related to a trespassed individual spotted in the area. Officers searched the area but the individual had left before their arrival.
- At the Collaborative Life Sciences Building around 5:28 p.m., a male was panhandling inside the Starbucks area. An officer arrived to contact the individual, and he left the building cooperatively.
- Around 6:47 p.m., it was reported there was an individual sleeping in an alley area between buildings near Sam Jackson Hall and Multnomah Pavilion. Officers contacted the person who was sleeping on a vent outside of the building and the person was found to have an outstanding arrest warrant. Officers took the person into custody without incident.
Safety and Security
- Patrolling OHSU Campuses
- Responding to emergencies
- Investigating crimes
- Conducting threat assessments
- Safety planning and teaching safety classes to our community