Dr. Skye Mayo is board certified in both Complex General Surgical Oncology and in General Surgery. His clinical practice serves patients with tumors of the liver, bile ducts, and pancreas. He also treats patients with gall bladder cancer, cancers of the stomach and digestive system, and retroperitoneal sarcomas. His research focuses on helping patients with cancers that have spread to or arise in the liver, such as colorectal cancer and intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma.
Dr. Mayo is an Oregon native: born in Eastern Oregon and raised in Central Oregon. During his surgical residency at Johns Hopkins his clinical and research work focused on the treatment of patients with pancreatic and liver cancers. He completed a research fellowship in Cancer Immunology at the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins investigating the role of immune therapy in patients with metastatic liver disease. His surgical oncology fellowship at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York was focused in advanced Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery where he was also certified to perform robotic cancer operations.
He is a member of a talented team of surgeons and oncologists at OHSU where he uses his experience and research to help advance the treatment of patients with cancers of the liver, bile ducts, and pancreas. He is a member of the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute and of the Southwest Oncology Group, which offers patients the latest in cancer care through participation in clinical trials. His research at OHSU involves using hepatic arterial regional therapy for patients with liver and bile duct cancers and investigating how to harness the immune system to fight cancer. Specifically, his research efforts are directed toward the early detection of recurrent cancer and monitoring responses to treatment in patients with colorectal cancer metastatic to the liver.
Dr. Mayo views it as a privilege to work with patients, their families, and primary care doctors to develop the best treatment plans. He is dedicated to offering the highest quality of service. He looks forward to working with other cancer specialists to help give his patients the most options and the best possible outcome.Read more
Areas of interest
- Early Detection of cancer recurrence
- Liver-directed therapies for metastatic and primary liver cancers
- Early phase clinical trial development in hepatopancreatobiliary oncology
- Surgical management of giant retroperitoneal sarcoma
- Risk factors for developing intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma
- Cancer immunology
- M.D., Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine 2006
- M.P.H., Oregon Health & Science University School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine 2006
- General Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2006
- General Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2013
- Cancer Immunology, Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 2011
- Complex General Surgical Oncology, Hepatopancreatobiliary Focus, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 2013-15
- American Board of Surgery, General Surgery, 2013
- American Board of Surgery, Complex General Surgical Oncology, 2016
Memberships and associations
- Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO)
- Americas Hepato Pancreato Biliary Association (AHPBA)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society (CTOS, Sarcoma)
- American Association of Cancer Research (AACR)
- Johns Hopkins Surgery, Old Hands Club
- American College of Surgeons
- North Pacific Surgical Association
- Portland Surgical Society
- Mackenzie Surgical Society
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Medical Honor Society
- SWOG (Southwest Oncology Group) Surgery and Gastrointestinal Oncology Committee Member
- Trans Atlantic Retroperitoneal Sarcoma Working Group (TARPSWG), Member
- "Colorectal Cancer Liver Metastasis : Evolving Paradigms and Future Directions." CMGH Cellular and Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology In: , Vol. 3, No. 2, 01.03.2017, p. 163-173.
- "A preclinical murine model of hepatic metastases." Journal of Visualized Experiments In: , No. 91, e51677, 27.09.2014.
- "Treatment and prognosis of patients with fibrolamellar hepatocellular carcinoma : A national perspective." Journal of the American College of Surgeons In: , Vol. 218, No. 2, 02.2014, p. 196-205.
- "Young woman with massive splenomegaly." JAMA Surgery In: , Vol. 149, No. 8, 2014, p. 869-870.
- "Impact of adjuvant external beam radiotherapy on survival in surgically resected gallbladder adenocarcinoma : A propensity score-matched Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results analysis." Surgery (United States) In: , Vol. 155, No. 1, 2014, p. 85-93.
- "Surgical therapy for early hepatocellular carcinoma in the modern era : A 10-Year SEER-medicare analysis." Annals of Surgery In: , Vol. 258, No. 6, 12.2013, p. 1022-1027.
- "Post-treatment surveillance of patients with colorectal cancer with surgically treated liver metastases." Surgery (United States) In: , Vol. 154, No. 2, 08.2013, p. 256-265.
- "Surgical management of patients with synchronous colorectal liver metastasis : A multicenter international analysis." Journal of the American College of Surgeons In: , Vol. 216, No. 4, 04.2013, p. 707-718.
- "Emerging approaches in the management of patients with neuroendocrine liver metastasis : Role of liver-directed and systemic therapies." Journal of the American College of Surgeons In: , Vol. 216, No. 1, 01.2013, p. 123-134.
- "A systematic review : Treatment and prognosis of patients with fibrolamellar hepatocellular carcinoma." Journal of the American College of Surgeons In: , Vol. 215, No. 6, 12.2012, p. 820-830.
- "miRNA biomarkers in cyst fluid augment the diagnosis and management of pancreatic cysts." Clinical Cancer Research In: , Vol. 18, No. 17, 01.09.2012, p. 4713-4724.
- "Conditional survival in patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma resected with curative intent." Cancer In: , Vol. 118, No. 10, 15.05.2012, p. 2674-2681.
- "National trends in surgical procedures for hepatocellular carcinoma : 1998-2008." Cancer In: , Vol. 118, No. 7, 01.04.2012, p. 1838-1844.
- "Loss of expression of the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling subunit BRG1/SMARCA4 is frequently observed in intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas." Human Pathology In: , Vol. 43, No. 4, 04.2012, p. 585-591.
- "Thermal ablative therapies for secondary hepatic malignancies." Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology: Annual Advances in Oncology. Vol. 2 Wolters Kluwer Health Adis (ESP), 2012.
- "Management of patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma : National trends in patient selection, operative management, and use of adjuvant therapy." Journal of the American College of Surgeons In: , Vol. 214, No. 1, 01.2012, p. 33-45.
- "Neuroendocrine liver metastasis : Transplant as part of multimodality liver-directed therapy." Archives of Surgery In: , Vol. 147, No. 1, 01.2012, p. 98-99.
- "Surgery versus intra-arterial therapy for neuroendocrine liver metastasis : A multicenter international analysis." Annals of Surgical Oncology In: , Vol. 18, No. 13, 12.2011, p. 3657-3665.
- "Surgical management and emerging therapies to prolong survival in metastatic neuroendocrine cancer." Annals of Surgical Oncology In: , Vol. 18, No. SUPPL. 3, 12.2011.
- "Presence of pancreatic intraepithelial neoplasia in the pancreatic transection margin does not influence outcome in patients with R0 resected pancreatic cancer." Annals of Surgical Oncology In: , Vol. 18, No. 12, 11.2011, p. 3493-3499.
- "Shifting trends in liver-directed management of patients with colorectal liver metastasis : A population-based analysis." Surgery In: , Vol. 150, No. 2, 08.2011, p. 204-216.
- "Surgical management of neuroendocrine tumors : treatment of localized and metastatic disease." Oncology (Williston Park, N.Y.) In: , Vol. 25, No. 9, 08.2011.
- "Refining the definition of perioperative mortality following hepatectomy using death within 90 days as the standard criterion." HPB In: , Vol. 13, No. 7, 07.2011, p. 473-482.
- "Propensity score methods : Setting the score straight." Archives of Surgery In: , Vol. 146, No. 7, 07.2011, p. 887-888.
- "Colorectal hepatic metastasis - current therapeutic approach." European Gastroenterology and Hepatology Review In: , Vol. 7, No. 1, 2011, p. 54-60.
- "Surgical management of neuroendocrine tumors : Treatment of localized and metastatic disease." ONCOLOGY (United States) In: , Vol. 25, No. 9, 2011.
- "Surgical management of hepatic neuroendocrine tumor metastasis : Results from an international multi-institutional analysis." Annals of Surgical Oncology In: , Vol. 17, No. 12, 12.2010, p. 3129-3136.
- "Adjuvant therapy and survival after resection of pancreatic adenocarcinoma : A population-based analysis." Cancer In: , Vol. 116, No. 12, 15.06.2010, p. 2932-2940.
- "Thermal ablative therapies for secondary hepatic malignancies." Cancer Journal In: , Vol. 16, No. 2, 03.2010, p. 111-117.
- "National Trends in the Management and Survival of Surgically Managed Gallbladder Adenocarcinoma Over 15 years : A Population-Based Analysis." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , Vol. 14, No. 10, 2010, p. 1578-1591.