Dr. Michael F. Chiang is a clinician-scientist who conducts research in the application of biomedical informatics to clinical ophthalmology. His clinical practice focuses on pediatric ophthalmology and adult strabismus. His research work involves telemedicine for diagnosis of retinopathy of prematurity and other ophthalmic diseases, implementation and evaluation of electronic health record systems, and computer-based image analysis for clinical diagnosis.
He is currently Knowles professor of ophthalmology and medical informatics and clinical epidemiology at OHSU, and leads a division of ophthalmic informatics. His research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health, and by several charitable foundations, since 2003. His group has published over 60 peer-reviewed journal papers. He has mentored over 30 postdoctoral fellows, medical students, and graduate students, many of whom have won research awards and eventually moved to top academic programs throughout the country. He is always looking to collaborate with students, fellows, and clinicians who are nice, enthusiastic, and hard-working. Dr. Chiang received a B.S. in electrical engineering and biology from Stanford University in 1991, and an M.D. from Harvard Medical School and the Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology in 1996. He received an M.A. in biomedical informatics from Columbia University, where he was a National Library of Medicine fellow. He completed residency and pediatric ophthalmology fellowship training at the Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute. Before coming to OHSU in 2010, he spent over 9 years at Columbia University, where he was Anne S. Cohen associate professor of ophthalmology and biomedical informatics, director of medical student education in ophthalmology, and director of the introductory graduate student course in biomedical informatics.
He is currently chair of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) Medical Information Technology Committee, and is a member of the AAO Ophthalmic Technology Assessment Committee and AAO Pediatric/Strabismus Annual Meeting Program Committee. He serves on the editorial boards for the Journal of the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus and the Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, and regularly serves as a reviewer for many other academic journals and research organizations. He has received numerous clinical, research, and teaching awards.Read more
- M.D., Harvard Medical School and Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Boston Massachusetts 1996
- B.S., Stanford University, Stanford California 1991
- Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute, Baltimore, MD, 2000
- Pediatric ophthalmology and adult strabismus - Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute, Baltimore MD, 2001
- "Plus Disease in Retinopathy of Prematurity : Diagnostic Trends in 2016 Versus 2007." American Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 176, 01.04.2017, p. 70-76.
- "Perspectives and uses of the electronic health record among US pediatricians : A national survey." Journal of Ambulatory Care Management In: , Vol. 40, No. 1, 2017, p. 59-68.
- "Assessment of a Tele-education System to Enhance Retinopathy of Prematurity Training by International Ophthalmologists-in-Training in Mexico." Ophthalmology In: , 05.12.2016.
- "Retinopathy of Prematurity : Imaging in retinopathy of prematurity: where are we, and where are we going?" Journal of AAPOS In: , Vol. 20, No. 6, 01.12.2016, p. 474-476.
- "Influence of computer-generated mosaic photographs on retinopathy of prematurity diagnosis and management." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 134, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 1283-1289.
- "Plus Disease in Retinopathy of Prematurity : Improving Diagnosis by Ranking Disease Severity and Using Quantitative Image Analysis." Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 123, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 2345-2351.
- "Plus Disease in Retinopathy of Prematurity : A Continuous Spectrum of Vascular Abnormality as a Basis of Diagnostic Variability." Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 123, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 2338-2344.
- "Toward a severity index for ROP : An unsupervised approach." 2016 38th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBC 2016. Vol. 2016-October Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc., 2016. p. 1312-1315 7590948.
- "Outer Retinal Structural Alternation and Segmentation Errors in Optical Coherence Tomography Imaging in Patients with a History of Retinopathy of Prematurity." American Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 166, 01.06.2016, p. 169-180.
- "Expert diagnosis of plus disease in retinopathy of prematurity from computer-based image analysis." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 134, No. 6, 01.06.2016, p. 651-657.
- "Diagnostic Discrepancies in Retinopathy of Prematurity Classification." Ophthalmology In: , 14.03.2016.
- "Practice Patterns in Retinopathy of Prematurity Treatment for Disease Milder Than Recommended by Guidelines." American Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 163, 01.03.2016, p. 1-10.
- "Science and art in retinopathy of prematurity diagnosis." Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 254, No. 1, 01.01.2016, p. 201-202.
- "Ocular involvement in hemophagocytic syndrome : A novel funduscopic manifestation and review of the literature." Retinal Cases and Brief Reports In: , Vol. 10, No. 4, 2016, p. 345-348.
- "Dealing with inter-expert variability in retinopathy of prematurity : A machine learning approach." Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine In: , Vol. 122, No. 1, 01.10.2015, p. 1-15.
- "Influence of Fluorescein Angiography on the Diagnosis and Management of Retinopathy of Prematurity." Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 122, No. 8, 01.08.2015, p. 1601-1608.
- "Analysis of shape assumptions in 3D reconstruction of retina from multiple fundus images." Proceedings - International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging. Vol. 2015-July IEEE Computer Society, 2015. p. 1502-1505 7164162.
- "A GMM-based feature extraction technique for the automated diagnosis of Retinopathy of Prematurity." Proceedings - International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging. Vol. 2015-July IEEE Computer Society, 2015. p. 1498-1501 7164161.
- "Evaluation of Screening for Retinopathy of Prematurity by ROPtool or a Lay Reader." Ophthalmology In: , 02.07.2015.
- "Color fundus photography versus fluorescein angiography in identification of the macular center and zone in retinopathy of prematurity." American Journal of Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 159, No. 5, 9223, 01.05.2015, p. 950-957.
- "Implementation and evaluation of a tele-education system for the diagnosis of ophthalmic disease by international trainees." AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings. AMIA Symposium In: , Vol. 2015, 01.01.2015, p. 366-375.
- "Analysis of underlying causes of inter-expert disagreement in reti-nopathy of prematurity diagnosis : Application of machine learning principles." Methods of Information in Medicine In: , Vol. 54, No. 1, 2015, p. 93-102.
- "The global education network for retinopathy of prematurity (Gen-rop) : Development, implementation, and evaluation of a novel tele-education system (an American ophthalmological society thesis)." Transactions of the American Ophthalmological Society In: , Vol. 113, 2015.
- "Electronic health record impact on productivity and efficiency in an academic pediatric ophthalmology practice." Journal of AAPOS In: , Vol. 18, No. 6, 01.12.2014, p. 584-589.
- "Structure-based level set method for automatic retinal vasculature segmentation." Eurasip Journal on Image and Video Processing In: , Vol. 2014, No. 1, 39, 11.08.2014.
- "Aggressive posterior retinopathy of prematurity : a pilot study of quantitative analysis of vascular features." Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 253, No. 2, 2014, p. 181-187.
- "Impact of an electronic health record operating room management system in ophthalmology on documentation time, surgical volume, and staffing." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 132, No. 5, 2014, p. 586-592.
- "Risk factors for retinopathy of prematurity : insights from outlier infants." Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 252, No. 10, 2014, p. 1669-1677.
- "Challenges of ophthalmic care in the developingworld." JAMA Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 132, No. 5, 2014, p. 640-644.
- "Meaningful use : How did we do, where are we now, where do we go from here?" Ophthalmology In: , Vol. 121, No. 9, 2014, p. 1667-1669.