Dr. Dolan is a graduate of Stanford University, School of Medicine. He completed his surgery residency at the University of California, San Francisco. While in residency, he also completed a 2-year postdoctoral research fellowship in tumor immunology where he investigated the effect of Interleklin-12 on the regression of solid tumors. After residency, Dr. Dolan went on to complete a 2-year fellowship in advanced laparoscopic surgery at OHSU and was the recipient of a SAGES grant to study outcomes of common bile duct injury after laparoscopic surgery. After graduation, Dr. Dolan was assigned to Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, Mississippi where he completed 2 deployments in support of combat operation in Southwest Asia. He also spearheaded the reaccreditation of the surgery residency program at Keesler Medical Center in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. In 2008, Dr. Dolan and his family returned to Oregon for a faculty appointment in the Department of Surgery. He is also the Associate Program Director for the Advanced GI/MIS fellowship and a member on a number of School of Medicine and hospital committees. His research interests are in the diagnosis and treatment of esophageal cancer and outcomes following laparoscopic surgery for malignant and benign conditions.
Dr. Dolan was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa as an undergraduate and he is the recipient of numerous additional academic awards and military decorations. In 2013, he was awarded the Karen and Josef E. Fischer International Traveling Fellowship from the Society of Surgery of the Alimentary Tract (SSAT). He is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and a member of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES), North Pacific Surgical Association (NPSA), Pacific Coast Surgical Association (PCSA) and SSAT. He is also an active member of the program committees for a number of these organizations.Read more
- M.D., Stanford University, Stanford California 1995
- General Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, 1995-2002
- Postdoctoral, Tumor Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, 1998-2001
- Advanced laparoscopic surgery at Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, Oregon, 2002-2004
- American Board of Surgery, 2003, recertified in 2013 (exp 2024)
Memberships and associations
- American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- Society of American Gastroentestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentry Tract (SSAT)
- Pacific Coast Surgical Association (PCSA)
- North Pacific Surgical Association (NPSA)
- Alliance of Air National Guard Flight Surgeons (AANGFS)
- "Discussion of "Nonatherosclerotic vascular causes of acute abdominal pain"." American Journal of Surgery In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Sarcopenia is not associated with morbidity, mortality, or recurrence after esophagectomy for cancer." American Journal of Surgery In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Risk factors associated with missing post-esophagectomy hospital milestones." American Journal of Surgery In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Paraesophageal hernia repair outcomes using minimally invasive approaches." JAMA Surgery In: , Vol. 152, No. 12, 01.12.2017, p. 1176-1178.
- "Multiple Abdominal Port Site Recurrences after Esophagectomy for Low-Stage Adenocarcinoma." Journal of Thoracic Oncology In: , Vol. 12, No. 10, 01.10.2017, p. e163-e165.
- "Laparoscopic ischemic conditioning of the stomach increases neovascularization of the gastric conduit in patients undergoing esophagectomy for cancer." Journal of Surgical Oncology In: , Vol. 116, No. 3, 01.09.2017, p. 391-397.
- "Evolution in the Treatment of Esophageal Disease at a Single Academic Institution : 2004-2013." Journal of Laparoendoscopic and Advanced Surgical Techniques In: , Vol. 27, No. 9, 01.09.2017, p. 915-923.
- "Modern diagnosis and treatment of hiatal hernias." Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery In: , 21.08.2017, p. 1-7.
- "Surgical Treatment of High-Grade Dysplasia and Early Esophageal Cancer." World Journal of Surgery In: , 03.03.2017, p. 1-7.
- "Neutrophil-to-Lymphocyte and Platelet-to-Lymphocyte Ratios can Predict Treatment Response to Neoadjuvant Therapy in Esophageal Cancer." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , 12.01.2017, p. 1-7.
- "Specific gene expression profiles are associated with a pathologic complete response to neoadjuvant therapy in esophageal adenocarcinoma." American Journal of Surgery In: , 09.01.2017.
- "Node-Negative Esophageal Cancer With Short-Interval Isolated Metastasis to the Gallbladder : A Case Report." Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery In: , 2017.
- "Association of intervals between neoadjuvant chemoradiation and surgical resection with pathologic complete response and survival in patients with esophageal cancer." JAMA Surgery In: , Vol. 151, No. 11, e162743, 01.11.2016.
- "Twenty-year trends in the utilization of Heller myotomy for achalasia in the United States." American Journal of Surgery In: , 27.10.2016.
- "Esophagectomy as a treatment consideration for early-stage esophageal cancer and high-grade dysplasia." Journal of Laparoendoscopic and Advanced Surgical Techniques In: , Vol. 26, No. 10, 01.10.2016, p. 757-762.
- "Sponge Sampling with Fluorescent In Situ Hybridization as a Screening Tool for the Early Detection of Esophageal Cancer." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , 25.08.2016, p. 1-7.
- "Preoperative carboplatin and paclitaxel-based chemoradiotherapy for esophageal carcinoma : results of a modified CROSS regimen utilizing radiation doses greater than 41.4 Gy." Diseases of the Esophagus In: , Vol. 29, No. 6, 01.08.2016, p. 614-620.
- "Increasing tumor length is associated with regional lymph node metastases and decreased survival in esophageal cancer." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 211, No. 5, 01.05.2016, p. 860-866.
- "The Global Burden of Esophageal Cancer : A Disability-Adjusted Life-Year Approach." World Journal of Surgery In: , 02.12.2015, p. 1-7.
- "Molecular Marker Expression Is Highly Heterogeneous in Esophageal Adenocarcinoma and Does Not Predict a Response to Neoadjuvant Therapy." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , Vol. 19, No. 12, 01.12.2015, p. 2105-2110.
- "Major bile duct injury requiring operative reconstruction after laparoscopic cholecystectomy : a follow-on study." Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques In: , 15.08.2015.
- "Short Esophagus." Surgical Clinics of North America In: , Vol. 95, No. 3, 01.06.2015, p. 641-652.
- "Biliary dyskinesia : A surgical disease rarely found outside the United States." American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 209, No. 5, 01.05.2015, p. 799-803.
- "Lymph Node Harvest During Esophagectomy Is Not Influenced by Use of Neoadjuvant Therapy or Clinical Disease Stage." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , Vol. 19, No. 7, 25.04.2015, p. 1201-1207.
- "Efficacy of transoral fundoplication vs omeprazole for treatment of regurgitation in a randomized controlled trial." Gastroenterology In: , Vol. 148, No. 2, 01.02.2015, p. 324-333.
- "Significant understaging is seen in clinically staged T2N0 esophageal cancer patients undergoing esophagectomy." Diseases of the Esophagus In: , 2015.
- "Nomogram for predicting the benefit of neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy for patients with esophageal cancer : A SEER-medicare analysis." Cancer In: , Vol. 120, No. 4, 15.02.2014, p. 492-498.
- "The Incidence of Hiatal Hernia After Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy." Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery In: , Vol. 18, No. 5, 2014, p. 889-893.
- "Overall survival analysis of neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy and esophagectomy for esophageal cancer." Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology In: , Vol. 5, No. 2, 2014, p. 86-91.
- "The general surgery job market : Analysis of current demand for general surgeons and their specialized skills." Journal of the American College of Surgeons In: , Vol. 217, No. 6, 12.2013, p. 1133-1139.