Dongseok Choi is a data scientist who led the creation of two new biostatistics graduate programs that are now part of the School of Public Health – the Master of Science in Biostatistics and the Graduate Certificate in Biostatistics. He served as the Co-Director of both programs from 2010 to 2015.
His current research interests are developing semi-supervised learning and “bump hunting” algorithms for big data, statistical methods for next generation sequencing data, and multi-level quantile regression. He is a sought-after collaborative scientist working on the interdisciplinary and translational research in ophthalmology, otolaryngology and inflammation diseases.
Choi founded the Korean International Statistical Society in 2011 and is its current president. In 2016, he was nominated to serve in the American Statistical Association Fellows Committee that evaluates and selects new fellows of the association.Read more
Areas of interest
- Big Data
- B.S., Seoul National University 1988
- Ph.D., The University of Chicago 1999
Honors and awards
- 2013, elected member, the International Statistical Institute
- 2012, Fellow, The American Statistical Association (Elected)
- 2003, Travel award for National Bureau of Economic Research/National Science Foundation Time Series conference
- 1997, Young Professional, The Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development
- 1988, Magna cum laude, Seoul National University