Back to Previous Exhibits index
We are pleased to announce our newest acquisition: the History of Dentistry Collection. The collection has been transferred from the Dental School Library, History of Dentistry Room to its new home in room 313 in the BICC. The exhibit consists of a small sample of the 525 volumes of rare and historic books and journals contained in the collection, as well as photographs from the Historical Image Collection and artifacts from the Dental Museum Collection. The monographs and periodicals include the first two editions of the first dental journal in the world, The American Journal of Dental Science, 1839, and a 1803 edition of Natural History of the Human Teeth, one of the earliest published dental works written in English.
The Dental School Library
The first recorded weeding project started in 1976-1977 with many of the older books stored in Room13 in the basement of the Dental School. Many had become moldy or water-damaged. Room 13 was a main storage room that also contained old dental equipment and artifacts, class photos, diplomas and scrapbooks. There was a smaller storage area on the seventh floor of the Residence Hall.
History of Dentistry Collection
The School of Dentistry's Alumni Association approved a $5,857 funding request to renovate the History Of Dentistry Room. Renovation started in late March 1981 and was largely completed by mid-summer. Custom-made oak bookcases and display cases were installed. Air-conditioning was put in. Special window screens with Verasol were installed to screen out incoming ultraviolet light in order to protect the historical books. The finished History of Dentistry Room was dedicated with an open house on October 22 and 23. At the time of the dedication, there were 400 books shelved in the HOD Room and about 150 rare or classic books needing preservation treatment or restoration were separately kept in the Librarian's office. This totaled about 550 books.
Many of the books had been donated by President Herbert Miller and faculty of the old North Pacific College in Portland in the early twentieth century from their personal collections that were rare and old at the time. Some are signed by the famous Dr. G. V. Black. The earliest original books in the History of Dentistry collection were published in the 1810s and 1820s, and there are facsimile reprints of books published as early as the late 1600s. It is the only collection of its kind in the Pacific Northwest.
In Fall 2003, the collection was moved, along with its oak bookcases, to the Main Library in the BICC building on the third floor in the Library Administration area. The room has framed photographs of G. V. Black and of the Dental Library as it appeared around 1914 at its N.E. 6th and Oregon location in Portland.
The Dental Museum Collection
Last updated July 24, 2009 by the OHSU Library Web Managers. Please send comments, questions, and reports of problems to the Library through the customer support form.