Doernbecher physician competes in Ironman triathlons to benefit pediatric dentistry program

Jeffrey Koh, M.D., head of anesthesiology, OHSU Doernbecher

I was fortunate to compete in my seventh Ironman distance triathlon last November in Tempe, Ariz. As has been the case for all my Ironman races, I have paired my personal athletic journey with fundraising for one of Doernbecher’s very important programs. The past three years I have raised money for the Doernbecher Pediatric Dentistry Program, which provides much-needed dental care to the children of Oregon.

Oral hygiene in children remains a huge public health problem in our country, and the program at OHSU Doernbecher is working hard to help through direct care, research and education of the next generation of pediatric dentists.

Every year, I am reminded of the dedication required to prepare yourself for the 140.6 total miles traveled in an Ironman swim, bike and run. This effort pales in comparison to the strength and determination shown by our staff, patients and parents here at DCH.

While I have many personal reasons for putting myself through this every year, the fundraising I am able to accomplish truly completes the experience for me. I am grateful to be healthy enough to compete in these amazing events, to have the support of family and friends, and to work in an amazing place like Doernbecher where I am inspired daily by those around me. To those who think an Ironman is out of reach, I will simply say life is too short to wonder if you can do something, the real fun is trying!

Jeffrey Koh, M.D.
Professor and Chief, Division of Pediatric Anesthesia
OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital

1. Good on ya Jeff Koh!!!

2. Dr. Koh,
    We are so grateful for your dedication and care to the children and their parents whom you have been involved with through Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. A big thank you and a hug for good measure. Sincerely,
    Joyce, a grandma

Tamara Hargens-Bradley is Associate Director of Media Relations for Oregon Health & Science University, OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital. She is the editor of the Healthy Families blog.
Doernbecher Children's Hospital

Doernbecher Children’s Hospital

wordpress stats plugin