Explore Research at OHSU
How do I use the OHSU Experts database?
Researchers, you can use the database to:
- Track your publications
- Publicize your experience
- Identify new collaborators
- See where other authors have published
- Identify experts at OHSU
- Find researchers for funding opportunities
- Understand connections within and between departments to facilitate collaboration
- Download expertise data for further analysis
Who is considered an Expert?
To be listed as an Expert in the OHSU Experts database, you must have a full-time faculty appointment and at least three publications listed in Scopus. The OHSU Experts list is updated quarterly. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about being added to the list.
Updating your profile
What is OHSU Experts?
OHSU Experts is an OHSU-specific instance of the web based tool, Pure Experts, where OHSU faculty, external faculty, and other interested, external parties (e.g. corporations and research funding organizations) can:
- View individual OHSU researchers and identify their expertise at a glance with a visual profile and list of publications.
- Find potential collaborators within and across departments and colleges and across institutions by searching the profiles of faculty by keywords and concepts.
- Visualize a researcher’s co-author network.
- Search for OHSU experts in any particular field by keywords or concepts.
- Visualize OHSU research expertise and focus by department.
Who can access OHSU Experts?OHSU Experts is open to the public, and anyone can access department and faculty profiles to search for research activities and expertise by name, keywords or concepts.
Who are included in OHSU Experts?All tenure system and fixed-term faculty with a research expectation are included in OHSU Experts. All those included must be paid through Oregon Health & Science University.
What does it mean that OHSU Experts (Pure Experts) has created a “profile” of my expertise?By mining the text found in your profile entry (publication titles, publication abstracts, grant titles), Pure Experts automatically generates a “profile” or visualization of the relative use of different words and concepts to describe your research expertise. Keywords from your profile are mapped by the system to subject-specific thesauri to present concepts in a standardized way.
Elsevier employs numerous thesauri based on several keywords and concepts. For a listing of disciplinary subject areas, keywords, and concepts, see the SciVal Experts Thesauri Coverage.
Will my whole CV be included in my OHSU Experts profile?No. Currently OHSU Experts will focus solely on the publications and grants for each faculty member.
Why are only some of my publications included in my OHSU Experts profile?The list of publications in OHSU Experts for each faculty member is automatically generated by Elsevier’s database Scopus. While very large, Scopus is uneven in its coverage of different subject areas. It does not cover every journal, every issue of each journal, nor does it cover many books, book chapters, or other monographs. Thus, not all your publications may appear in your profile. OHSU administrators understand that profiles are not expected to be complete, and they will not use the profiles for any kind of faculty evaluation.
As an OHSU faculty member or researcher included in OHSU Experts, is there anything I should do to validate my profile information?You should check your profile to confirm that the publications and grants listed are indeed yours and that there are no major errors. Missing publications or grants cannot be added at this time. However, if publications listed are not yours, or there is another problem, please contact the OHSU Pure Implementation team at email@example.com to get your profile corrected.
How often is OHSU Experts updated?Publications are refreshed in OHSU Experts by Scopus on a weekly basis. Grants are refreshed twice a year, after the faculty lists are updated for the fall and spring terms.
What other universities are using Pure to create a profile tool like OHSU Experts, and can I see their faculty profiles too?Many universities and research institutions nation- and world-wide are using Pure Experts to create profiles. After searching for a concept, last name, or free text keyword, you will see experts at OHSU with research in that area. To the right side of the screen, above the list of faculty, if you click on the link indicating “Include results from Experts Community”, you’ll see similar experts matching your query at other institutions that are also using Pure Experts.
Who will use OHSU Experts?
- OHSU faculty members and researchers will use the public version to search for identifying internal or external collaborators and experts in specific domains. They will use the Funding Discovery module to tailor searches and alerts about possible research funding opportunities to their research interests.
- OHSU administrators will use the public version of OHSU Experts to view aggregated information about research and publication trends for individual faculty members, departments, and colleges. They may also search for internal or external institutional expertise to promote research or instructional collaboration. They will not use OHSU Experts for individual faculty evaluation because the profiles are incomplete.
- External parties, including members of other academic institutions or corporations, can view OHSU Experts to search for expertise, collaborators, or partners among OHSU faculty and researchers. TTBD will also use the tool to link OHSU faculty with business and industry.