Publications at the Oregon Healthy Workforce
Center (OHWC) reflect our deep commitment to academic rigor and community application.
Thus, our members publish widely in scientific and applied forums.
Publications from OHWC-Funded Research (Peer-Reviewed Journals)
- Zaniboni, S., Truxillo, D. M., Rineer, J. R., Bodner,
T. E., Hammer, L. B., & Kraner, M. (2016). Relating age, decision
authority, job satisfaction, and mental health: A study of construction
workers. Work, Aging and
- Parish, M., Rohlman, D.S., Elliot, D.L., Lasarev, M. (2016). Factors associated with occupational injuries in seasonal young workers. Occupational Medicine. 66(2),166-167.
- Bodner, T., Kraner, M., Bradford, B., Hammer, L., & Truxillo, D. (2014). Safety, health, and well-being of municipal utility and construction workers. Journal of Occupational & Environmental Medicine, 56(7), 771-778.
- Rohlman, D., Parish, M., Elliot, D., Montgomery, D., & Hanson, G. (2013). Characterizing the needs of a young working population: Making the case for total worker health in an emerging workforce. Journal of Occupational &Environmental Medicine, 55, S69-S72.
- Wipfli, B., Olson, R., Wright, R., Garrigues, L., & Lees, J. (2012). Characterizing hazards and injuries among home care workers. Home Healthcare Nurse, 30(7), 387-393.
Associated Publications by OHWC Researchers (Peer-Reviewed Journals & Popular Press)
OHWC members also actively pursue a number of research projects in occupational health outside of the Center.
Bold: Current OHWC Researcher
- Yurgui, N., Demsky, C., Hammer, L. B., & VanDyck, S. (In press). Linking workplace aggression to employee well-being and work: The moderating role of family-supportive supervisor behaviors (FSSB). Journal of Business and Psychology.
- Odle-Dusseau, H. N., Hammer, L. B., Crain, T. L., & Bodner, T. (In press). The influence of family-supportive supervisors on job performance: An occupational work-family initiative. . Journal of Occupational Health Psychology.
- Hammer, L. B., Johnson, R. C., Crain, T. L., Bodner, T., Kossek, E. E., Davis, K. D., . . . Chosewood, L. C. (In press). Intervention effects on safety compliance and organizational citizenship behaviors: Evidence from the Work, Family, and Health Study. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Olson, R., Crain, T. L., Bodner, T., King, R., Hammer, L. B., Klein, L., . . . Buxton, O. (2015). A workplace intervention improves actigraphic sleep duration in a randomized, controlled trial: Results from the Work, Family, and Health Network Study. Sleep Health, 1, 55-65.
- Davis, K. D., Lawson, K., Almeida, D. M., Kelly, E., King, R. B., Hammer, L. B., Casper, L., Okechukwu, C., Hanson, G., & McHale, S. M. (2015). Parents' daily time with their children: A workplace intervention. Pediatrics, 135(5), 875-882. doi:10.1542/peds.2014-2057
- Wipfli, B., Olson, R., & Koren, M. (2013). Weight-loss maintenance among SHIFT pilot study participants 30-months after intervention. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 55, 1-3
- Laharnar, N., Perrin, N., Hanson, G., Glass, N., & Anger, W. K. (2013). A training intervention for supervisors to support implementation of a work-family policy. Safety and Health at Work, 4(3), 166-167. doi:10.1016/j.shaw.2013.07.001
- Glass, N., Bloom, T., Perrin, N., & Anger, W. K. (2010). A computer-based training intervention for work supervisors to respond to intimate partner violence. Safety and Health at Work, 1(2), 167-174. doi:10.5491/SHAW.2010.1.2.167
- Olson, R., Anger, W. K., Elliot, D. L., Wipfli, B., & Gray, M. (2009). A new health promotion model for lone workers: results of the Safety &Health Involvement For Truckers (SHIFT) pilot study. Journal of Occupational Environmental Medicine, 51(11), 1233-1246. doi:10.1097/JOM.0b013e3181c1dc7a
- Anger, W. K., Patterson, L., Fuchs, M., Leal, W. L., & Rohlman, D. S. (2009). Learning and recall of Worker Protection Standard (WPS) training in vineyard workers. Journal of Agromedicine, 14(3), 336-344. doi:10.1080/10599240903042057
- Austin, J., Alvero, A. M., Fuchs, M. M., Patterson, L., & Anger, W. K. (2009). Pre-training to improve workshop performance in supervisor skills: an exploratory study of Latino agricultural workers. Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health, 15(3), 273-281. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19728549
- Kossek, E. E., & Hammer, L. B. (2008). Supervisor work/life training gets results. Harvard Business Review, 36. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25284843
- Kelly, E., Kossek, E. E., Hammer, L. B., Durham, M., Bray, J., Chermack, K., . . . Kaskubar, D. (2008). Getting there from here: Research on the effects of work family initiatives on work-family conflict and business outcomes. The Academy of Management Annals, 2(1), 305-349.
- Anger, W. K., Stupfel, J., Ammerman, T., Tamulinas, A., Bodner, T., & Rohlman, D. S. (2006). The suitability of computer-based training for workers with limited formal education: A case study from the US agricultural sector. International Journal of Training and Development, 10(269-284).
- Hammer, L. B., Neal, M. B., Newsom, J., Brockwood, K. J., & Colton, C. (2005). A longitudinal study of the effects of dual-earner couples' utilization of family-friendly workplace supports on work and family outcomes. Journal of Applied Psychology, 90, 799-810.
- Sahibzada, K., Hammer, L. B., Neal, M. B., & Kuang, D. C. (2005). The moderating effects of work-family role combinations and work-family organizational culture on the relationship between family-friendly workplace supports and job satisfaction. Journal of Family Issues, 26, 1-20.
- Eckerman, D. A., Abrahamson, K., Ammerman, T., Fercho, H., Rohlman, D. S., & Anger, W. K. (2004). Computer-based training for food service workers at a hospital. Journal of Safety Research, 35, 317-327.
- Olson, R. & Austin, J. (2001). Behavior-based safety and working alone: The effects of a self-monitoring package on the safe performance of bus operators. Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, 21(3), 5-43.
- Olson, R., Thompson, S. V., Wipfli, B., Hanson, G., Elliot, D. L., Anger, W. K., Bodner, T., Hammer, L. B., Hohn, E., & Perrin, N. (In press). Sleep, dietary, and exercise behavioral clusters among truck drivers with obesity: Implications for interventions. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.
- Singleton, S. T., Lein, P. J., Dadson, O. A., McGarrigle, B. P., Farahat, F. M., Farahat, T., Bonner, M. R., Fenske, R. A., Galvin, K., Lasarev, M. R., Anger, W. K., Rohlman, D. S., & Olson, J. R. (2015). Longitudinal assessment of occupational exposures to the organophosphorous inseticides chorpyrifos and profenofos in Egyptian cotton field workers. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 218(2), 203-211.
- Berkman, L., Liu, S. Y., Hammer, L. B., Moen, P., Klein, L., Kelly, E., . . . Buxton, O. (2015). Work/family demands, cardiometabolic risk and sleep duration in extended care employees. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 20, 420-433. doi:10.1037/a0039143
- DePasquale, N., Polenick, C., Davis, K. D., Moen, P., Hammer, L. B., & Almeida, D. M. (2015). The psychosocial implications of manageing work and family caregiving roles: Gender differences among IT professionals. Journal of Family Issues, 1-25. doi:10.1177/0192513X15584680
- Nakaishi, L., Moss, H., Weinstein, M., Perrin, N., Rose, L., Anger, W. K., Hanson, G. C., Christian, M., & Glass, N. (2013). Exploring workplace violence among homecare workers in a consumer driven home health care program. Workplace Health and Safety, 61(10), 441-450. doi:10.3928/21650799-20130916-17
- Walters, J., Olson, R., Karr, J., Zoller, E., Douglas, J., & Cain, D. (2013). Elevated occupational transportation fatalitites among older workers in Oregon: An empirical investigation. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 53, 28-38.
- Rajaratnam, S. M., Barger, L. K., Lockley, S. W., Shea, S. A., Wang, W., Landrigan, C. P., . . . Czeisler, C. A. (2011). Sleep disorders, health and safety in police officers. Journal of the American Medical Association, 306, 2567-2578.
- Rohlman, D. S., Lasarev, M., Anger, W. K., Scherer, J., Stupfel, J., &cMcCauley, L. (2007). Neurobehavioral performance of adult and adolescent agricultural workers. Neurotoxicology, 28, 374-380.
- McCauley, L., Anger, W. K., Keifer, M., Langley, R., Robson, M. G., & Rohlman, D. S. (2006). Studying health outcomes in farmworker populations exposed to pesticides. Environmental Health Perspectives, 114, 953-960.
- Okechukwu, C., Bacic, J., Velasquez, E., & Hammer, L. B. (In press). Marginal structural modeling of associations of occupational injuries with voluntary and involuntary job loss among nursing home workers. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.
- Gurubhagavatula, I., Patil, S., Meoli, A., Olson, R., Sullivan, S., Berneking, M., & Watson, N. F. (2016). Sleep apnea evaluation of commercial motor vehicle operators. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 12(3), 285-286.
- Hsieh, H. W., Escobar, C., Yugay, T., Lo, M. T., Pittman-Polletta, B., Salgado-Delgado, R., Scheer, A. J. L., Shea, S. A., Buijs, R. M., & Hu, K. (2014). Simulated shift work in rats perturbs multiscale regulation of locomotor activity. Journal of The Royal Society Interface, 11(96).
- Olson, R., Wipfli, B., & Garcia, L. R. (2012). Ergonomics: Practical guidance for assessing truck drivers. Professional Safety, 38-43.
- Hammer, L. B., Kossek, E. E., Anger, W. K., Bodner, T., & Zimmerman, K. L. (2011). Clarifying Work-Family Intervention Processes: The roles of work-family conflict and family supportive supervisor behaviors. Journal of Applied Psychology(96), 134-150. doi:10.1037/a0020927
- Hammer, L. B., Kossek, E. E., Yragui, N., Bodner, T., & Hanson, G. (2009). Development and valifation of a multidimensional measure of family supportive supervisor behaviors (FSSB). Journal of Management, 35, 837-856.
- Eckerman, D. A., Coelho, C., Gimenes, L. S., Huberr, E. R., Rohlman, D. S., & Anger, W. K. (2009). Behavioral observation used to estimate pesticide exposure for farm workers in Brazil. Psychology and Neuroscience, 2, 43-50. doi:10.3922/j.psns.2009.1.07
- Olson, R., Grossheusch, A., Wipfli, B., & Schmidt, S. (2009). Observational learning and workplace safety: The effects of viewing the collective behavior of multiple social models on the use of personal protective equipment. Journal of Safety Research, 40(5), 383-387.
- Olson, R., Hahn, D. I., & Buckert, A. (2009). Predictors of severe trunk postures among short-haul truck drivers during non-driving tasks: An exploratory investigation involving video-assessment and driver behavioural self-monitoring. Ergonomics, 52(6), 707-722.
- Hanson, G., Hammer, L. B., & Colton, C. (2006). Development and validation of a multidimensional scale of work-family positive spillover. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 11, 249-265.
- Olson, R., & Austin, J. (2006). Performance-based evaluation of flight student landings: Implications for risk management. The International Journal of Aviation Psychology, 16(1), 97-112.
- Lee, S., Almeida, D. M., Davis, K. D., King, R., Hammer, L. B., & Kelly, E. (In press). Latent profiles of time adequacy for paid-work, parenting, and partner roles. The Journal of Family Psychology.
- Truxillo, D. M., Cadiz, D. E., & Hammer, L. B. (2015). Supporting the aging workforce: A review and recommendations for workplace intervention research. Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior, 2, 351-381.
- Moen, P., Kaduk, A., Kossek, E. E., Hammer, L. B., Buxton, O. M., O'Donnell, E., . . . Casper, L. (2015). Is work-family conflict a multi-level stressor linking job conditions to mental health? Evidence from the Work Family and Health Network. Research in the Sociology of Work: Work &Family in the New Economy, 26, 177-217.
- Kelly, E. L., Moen, P., Oakes, M., Fan, W., Okechukwu, C., Davis, K. D., Hammer, L. B., Kossek, E. E., King, R. B., Hanson, G., Mierzwa, F., Casper, L. (2014) Changing Work and Work-Family Conflict: Evidence from the Work, Family, and Health Network. American Sociological Review. Vol. 79(3) 485–516.
- Kossek, E. E., Hammer, L. B., Kelly, E., & Moen, P. (2014). Designing work, family, and health organizational change initiatives. Organizational Dynamics, 43, 53-63.
- Crain, T. L., Hammer, L. B., Bodner, T., Kossek, E. E., Moen, P., Lilienthal, R., & Buxton, O. (2014). Work-family conflict, family-supportive supervisor behaviors (FSSB), and sleep outcomes. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 19, 155-167.
- Sorensen, G., Landsbergis, P., Hammer, L., Amick, B., Linnan, L., Yancey, A., Welch,L., Goetzel, R., Flannery, K, Pratt, C., and the Workshop Working Group on Worksite Chronic Disease Prevention (2011). Preventing chronic disease at the workplace: A workshop report and recommendations. American Journal of Public Health, 101, S196-S207.
- Kossek, E. E., Pichler, S., Bodner, T., & Hammer, L. B. (2011). Workplace social support and work-family conflict: A meta-analysis clarifying the influence of general and work-family specific supervisor and organizational support. Personnel Psychology, 64, 289-313.
- Hammer, L. B., Kossek, E. E., Anger, W. K., Bodner, T., & Zimmerman, K. L. (2011). Clarifying work-family intervention processes: The roles of work-family conflict and family supportive supervisor behaviors. Journal of Applied Psychology, 96, 134-150.
- Johnson, J., Truxillo, D. M., Erdogan, B., Bauer, T. N., & Hammer, L. B. (2009). Perceptions of overall fairness: Are effects on job performance moderated by leader-member exchange? Human Performance, 22(5), 432-449.
- Mortazavi, S., Pedhiwala, N., Shafiro, M., & Hammer, L. B. (2009). Work-family conflict related to culture and gender. Community, Work, and Family, 12, 251-273.
- Cullen, J. C., & Hammer, L. B. (2007). Developing and testing a theoretical model linking work-family conflict to employee safety. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 12, 226-278.
- Huang, Y. E., Hammer, L. B., Neal, M. B., & Perrin, N. (2004). The relationship between work-to-family and family-to-work conflict: A longitudinal study. Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 25, 79-100.
- Olson, R. (2002). Putting the organizational culture concept to work. The Behavior Analyst Today, 3(4), 471-481.
- Cohen, A., Smith, M. J., & Anger, W. K. (1979). Self-protective measures against workplace hazards. Journal of Safety Research, 11, 121-131.