Bringing Total Worker Health to the Community
The Oregon Healthy Workforce Center's Outreach Core Aims:
- Create sustainable partnerships and outreach networks throughout Oregon and beyond with employers, associations and unions, and community-based organizations.
- Facilitate effective translation of research to practice, and create packaged toolkits resulting from OHWC research interventions to be disseminated among partners, stakeholders, and supporters.
- Leverage current contacts to expand our reach to include new community-based organizations, small businesses, and vulnerable work sectors.
- Develop and provide educational opportunities on new and relevant topics pertaining to Total Worker Health.
- Expand our digital strategy to deliver our products and services in an accessible way.
The Outreach Core consists of four components:
Read more about each of the Outreach Core components and our upcoming events below.
- Outreach Central
- Education Launcher
- Intervention Incubator
- Dissemination Engine
Upcoming and Past Outreach Events
Missed our Fall 2017 Symposium "Navigating Mental Health in the Workplace: What do we know and where do we go?", that took place on November 30, 2017? Access recordings and handouts from previous trainings.
We are holding a public health movie night and screening of A Day's Work, co-sponsored by our Institute and the OHSU/PSU School of Public Health on Wed., November 8, 2017 from 4 to 6pm at OHSU's Collaborative Life Sciences Building (CLSB 1A001) to watch this impactful 2015 documentary, and join us for a discussion with producer Dave DeSario.
- Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences (where OHWC is housed), Oregon OSHA, and SAIF Corporation have signed an alliance to join efforts to expand the knowledge and efforts of Total Worker Health®.
Led by Dede Montgomery, CIH
Stimulates & broadens regional impact of Total Worker Health®
Outreach Central key activities:
- Blogs and newsletters
- Social media
- Websites and online resources
- Face-to-face contact through presentations at key events and conferences
- Development of partnerships
INTERVENTION INCUBATOR Led by Ryan Olson, PhDFoster exchange of ideas; develop steady stream of Total Worker Health® interventions
Intervention Incubator is a new component of the Outreach Core. The aim of this effort is to generate new intervention ideas, research directions, and partnerships within the Oregon Healthy Workforce Center. Our programs address the Outreach Core’s aims to engage our current partners and outreach networks to help generate and test new intervention ideas from stakeholder groups and respond with evidence-based products for dissemination. In doing so, we will also expand our reach to include new work sectors.
- Science-Industry Meet-ups
- Partners’ Luncheons
- Student-Scholar Projects
- The “Change Makers” speaker series
Led by Leslie Hammer, PhD
Activates dissemination channels through collaborative efforts between OHWC & Industry partners
A new component of the Outreach Core is our Dissemination Engine. These efforts will help us actively disseminate and translate evidence-based trainings, tools, and approaches developed and evaluated by OHWC researchers. The purpose of the Dissemination Engine is to activate channels for sharing our intervention work with the goal of maximizing the Center's THW impact. These efforts are coordinated by Dissemination Liaison, Helen Schuckers, MPH. While publishing in the academic and practitioner-related arena remains a focus of the dissemination engine, our multifaceted approach will create sustainable community partnerships to help identify dissemination avenues, translate and disseminate our packaged evidence-based tools and toolkits within the community. We will measure our reach, utilization, and effectiveness in practice to further expand our regional reach and impact.
Dissemination engine key activities:
- Dissemination of tools and toolkits through collaborative efforts with regional and national community partners and professional groups
- Developing sustainable and effective dissemination platform
- Dissemination guidance from the Center’s External Advisory Committee
The Education Launcher focuses on widening our reach and impact through TWH education. Education Launcher will help further the Outreach Core’s goals to enhance TWH interventions, disseminate and translate them within the community, and in turn, serve to expand our TWH education reach and impact. Education Launcher programs will provide opportunities for TWH education and intervention research expertise in the community by leveraging our existing networks, partnerships, and connections. In conjunction with the other components.
Education Launcher key activities:
- Summer Institute
- Science Seminars
- Biannual Symposia
- Video Education Series
- Total Worker Health promotion at conferences
- Summer Internships & Dissertation Awards
Testimonials & Awards
Exciting news! OHWC received the Safety and Health Advocate (Team) Award by the Oregon Governor's Occupational Safety and Health Conference 2017!