Education and Outreach
OHWC in the Community
The OHWC has both outreach and educational components that build on existing programs at OHSU/Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences (formerly CROET), Portland State University and the University of Oregon's Labor Education and Research Center (LERC). As part of our Education and Outreach mission, our goals are to:
- Build a community of interest and a community of practice on Total Worker Health issues through innovative and participatory education programs
- Connect the work of work-life researchers with practitioners in occupational health, health promotion, human resources, and labor relations
- Promote regular interchange among researchers to optimize critical feedback and sharing of methods, experiences, and results
- Identify new areas of cross-disciplinary collaboration of Center PIs and staff on all projects
- Provide educational opportunities on both the overarching theoretical constructs that guide our work and the current policy issues surrounding health promotion and health protection
- Include underserved populations in educational activities by designing programs to reach these groups in their own communities and through their own organizations
Upcoming Educational and Outreach Events:Occupational Health Sciences Spring Symposium: Temporary and Contingent Workers Safety and Health
Thursday, May 28, 2015 at the Holiday Inn Portland South Wilsonville, Wilsonville, Oregon
The symposium aims to address safety and health provisions for temporary and contingent workers. Address best practices, as issued from OSHA and shared by staffing agencies, health and safety professionals, and employers. Discuss problems, limitations and strategies to provide all workers safe and healthy work places.
Past Educational and Outreach Events
- American Heart Association's Worksite Wellness Summit: Powering up with Total Worker Health
September 17, 2014, Oregon Convention Center, Portland Oregon
OHSU's Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences was presenting sponsor. Learn more.
- 3rd Annual Occupational Health Psychology Summer Institute
July 16-18, 2014, Portland, Oregon. Learn more and view presentations.
- 2014 National Symposium for Corrections Worker Health
July 15, 2014, Portland, Oregon
Sponsored by the Oregon Healthy Workforce Center
- Spring Symposium: Sedentary, Stationary and Physically Demanding Work: Health Consequences and Workplace Solutions
June 5, 2014, Portland, Oregon.
Sponsored by the Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences at OHSU, Oregon Healthy Workforce Center and Oregon Public Health Division. View recorded webinar
- 2nd Annual Partner's Luncheon
March 20, 2014, Red Lion Hotel on the River - Jantzen Beach, Portland. Learn more and view presentations
- Oregon Governor's Occupational Safety and Health (GOSH) Conference
March 7, 2013
This wellness course was co-sponsored by the Oregon Healthy Workforce Center, Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences, SAIF Corporation, and the Portland Business Journal. GOSH information page.
- Partners' Luncheon
September 14, 2012, Portland, Oregon
The Oregon Healthy Workforce Partners' Luncheon provided an opportunity for stakeholder networking and discussion of topics of interest to partners. The luncheon speaker, Larry S.Chapman of the Chapman Institute, spoke about Return of Investment of Workplace Wellness programs. The webinar of Mr. Chapman on "An Authoritative Look at the ROI of Worksite Wellness Programs" is now available. Watch and listen now.
- Occupational Health Psychology (OHP) Summer Institute
July 16-19, 2012, Portland, Oregon
The first annual OHP Summer Institute was a successful 4 days of education and idea exchange from a mix of academic researchers and practitioners from around the world. Topics ranged from safety climate, work organization, and stress, to employee health and the work family balance. The 2012 summer institute was presented by the Occupational Psychology Program at Portland State University, Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences (formerly CROET), the Oregon Healthy WorkForce Center, and the Canadian Center for Occupational Health and Safety at St. Mary’s University. The Outreach and Education program is led by Dede Montgomery (OHSU/Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences). Dan Austin supports the website and symposia.