OCTRI Scholars Program Description
The Scholars Program was created to identify and support promising early-career individuals who may benefit from OCTRI support in their efforts to obtain independent research funding.
The goal of this program is to enhance the development of research scientists and clinician scientists by:
- Promoting awareness of opportunities for mentored career development research awards.
- Assisting applicants to develop an application for a career development award and to optimize their chances of funding.
- Supporting skill development and facilitating progress towards research independence through conversion to an R01 or similar award.
Who can be a Scholar?
Anyone at OHSU or VA who is applying for or who has a current career development award. View additional eligibility details.
- This includes VA CDA, NIH K awards, and career development awards available through professional or funding groups like the American Heart Association or American Cancer Society.
- Researchers who are applying for a career development award can participate in and receive certain services. Contact Melissa Mudd to learn more.
What is available?
An educational program to support development of competencies in clinical and translational research, along with specific skills.
- Human Investigations Program (HIP) allows participation through enrollment in a single class through completion of a certificate or Master of Clinical Research.
- Classes are offered in biostatistics, proposal development, project management, communication for leading research teams, systematic review, etc.
- Learn more about the Human Investigations Program curriculum.
RCR training for NIH Scholars and Trainees. OCTRI offers an interactive and practical 8-hour seminar which can meet the NIH requirements for K awards or T awards. The majority of each session is dedicated to active learning and models a rational approach to address real ethical, integrity and regulatory issues that have arisen in the course of your research.
Additional mentoring activities to provide support to the Scholar.
- An informal, quarterly networking event to provide information and discuss topics of interest such as responding to reviewers, managing your time, and maximizing publications. The purpose is to present content that the Scholars want to know more about to allow knowledge dissemination outside of the mentor-mentee relationship.
- A smaller, intensive group who commit to meet biweekly for peer mentoring. Scholars run this group, which works mutually to solve research problems and barriers, present manuscripts, help to develop research proposals, and discuss current issues.
- OCTRI has a wide variety of expertise and available services that may be useful to you in preparation for your grant submission or in implementing your project. Please browse our services (link below) or contact the OCTRI Navigator Manager to discuss your project.
- Browse OCTRI research services.
Support to maximize odds of research success through opportunities to get helpful feedback at critical times in the development of research.
- OCTRI Design Studio, which takes place the second Tuesday of each month, is a forum for presentation of research concept and proposal plans to a group of senior researchers. Scholars who are requesting OCTRI research services are required to present at a Design Studio. Learn more about Design Studios.
- Career Development Award (CDA) Library, a repository of successful examples of many different types of career development awards along with some reviews. Contact Research Funding & Development or Melissa Mudd for more details or to access the library.
- Targeted information dissemination via listserv on funding opportunities, seminars and conferences, and developments key to career development awardees.
Support to maximize mentoring through participation in OHSU programs to improve the quality of mentoring.
- Participation in an electronic "learning community" for mentors and mentees to improve feedback about mentoring.
- Participation in OHSU institutional programs that deliver workshops and seminars targeted to mentors and mentees.
- Learn more about the mentoring program.