Who We Are
We are passionate and accomplished doctors, researchers and educators working together to provide innovative, world-class care.
As Oregon’s only academic health center, OHSU provides an extensive range of services, from everyday health care needs to complex, highly specialized therapies.
Our knowledge translates into cures and disease prevention. Our research sparks new treatments. Our educators teach tomorrow’s health care leaders. Our outreach programs improve community health.
OHSU Healthcare Stats
OHSU includes two hospitals (OHSU Hospital and OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital) and numerous medical practices that are located on Marquam Hill, at the Center for Health & Healing, at the South Waterfront and in several neighborhoods in the Portland metro area.
In addition, OHSU has affiliated with other health care partners across the state. Currently, Tuality Healthcare and Adventist Health Portland are part of the OHSU health system, significantly expanding the Portland metro-area locations where Oregonians can connect with Oregon's only academic health center.
- OHSU is a regional resource for patients from Oregon, southwest Washington, Idaho, Montana, Alaska and northern California.
- More than 34 percent of OHSU patients come from outside the Portland tri-county metropolitan area.
- Patients come to OHSU from every county in the state.
- OHSU is one of two designated Level 1 Trauma Centers in the state and played a pivotal role in the inception of the Oregon Trauma System.
- The OHSU Knight Cancer Institute is the only cancer center between Sacramento and Seattle designated by the National Cancer Institute.
- OHSU is the only place in Oregon where adults and children can receive bone-marrow transplants.
- The OHSU Center for Women's Health is one of 20 national Centers of Excellence for women's health.
- The Oregon Clinical and Translational Research Institute is the home for OHSU’s clinical and translational research, bringing together medical researchers from every arena to share expertise, technologies and ideas. OHSU is conducting more than 700 clinical trials to bring new treatments and cures to patients sooner.
- OHSU’s Casey Eye Institute is home to the nation’s first research-oriented children’s eye clinic, the Elks Children’s Eye Clinic, established in 1949.
- The discovery of the anti-cancer medication Gleevec by OHSU Knight Cancer Institute director Brian Druker, M.D., has saved more than 1,000,000 lives.
Here's a detailed list of OHSU facts