OHSU Perinatology provides comprehensive prenatal care from pre-conception through delivery. We consult with a variety of pediatric and adult specialists to help you and your baby get the care you need during your pregnancy and beyond.
We can also work with your current care provider to develop a management plan for your pregnancy. That means you can choose to have your current doctor or midwife continue to provide your care, in addition to the support you receive from our specialists.
Am I high-risk?
While all pregnancies carry some amount of risk, some have more than average. If you’re wondering whether your pregnancy is high-risk, below are some basic guidelines.
A pregnancy may be considered high-risk:
- A pregnancy with a known birth defect or genetic condition
- A pre-existing health condition such as heart disease, a connective tissue disease or an infectious disease that could complicate a pregnancy
- High blood pressure or preeclampsia
- Blood disorders
- Infertility or multiple miscarriages
- A history of premature labor and delivery
- Reached an age of older than 35- or younger than 18-years of age
The term “high-risk pregnancy” doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to have problems with your pregnancy. It simply means that you might have a larger possibility of complications. Our perinatologists specialize in these conditions to help your pregnancy and delivery go as smoothly as possible.
Care for All Pregnancies
We also provide care and consultation for normal pregnancies. OHSU Perinatology can care for all women, whether or not their pregnancies are considered “high-risk.”