Brain and Spine Care
OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital offers the expertise, dedication and technology to give your child or teen first-rate care at any stage of illness or injury. No other hospital in the region offers our combination of:
- World-class doctors and scientists who have dedicated their careers to caring for children and teens.
- Advanced, team-based care for brain and spinal cord tumors, spine disorders, epilepsy and other conditions, from the common to the highly complex.
- Leading-edge technology and techniques.
- Access to the latest research discoveries and clinical trials.
- A full array of support services in a family-centered environment.
Doernbecher Children’s Hospital is nationally ranked for excellence in seven specialties, including neurology, neurosurgery and oncology. Our specialists include some of the nation’s best pediatric neurologists and neurosurgeons, plus the only two pediatric oncologists in Oregon who focus exclusively on children and teens with brain and spinal cord tumors.
Our collaborative approach brings together experts from across specialties to tailor a treatment plan for each child. Our oncology team, for example, holds a weekly Pediatric Brain Tumor Board where experts in tumors, neurosurgery, radiation oncology, neuroradiology, neuropathology, research and other areas gather to examine cases one by one. Our services also include:
- One of the few U.S. children’s spine clinics that combines specialists in neurosurgery and orthopaedics.
- Oregon’s only comprehensive Pediatric Epilepsy Center.
- The region’s most advanced care for spina bifida, craniofacial disorders, Chiari malformation and tethered cord.
- The Northwest’s only comprehensive Down syndrome clinic.
The latest technology and techniques
Our state-of-the-art equipment and expertise includes:
- The West Coast’s only child-dedicated intraoperative MRI suite, giving surgeons extraordinary precision in treating tumors, epilepsy and other conditions.
- Computer-aided neuroendoscopy for greater accuracy, smaller incisions and less pain.
- Rare expertise in a procedure for treating hydrocephalus that avoids use of a shunt.
- Less-invasive surgical techniques and excellent outcomes for treating Chiari malformation and tethered cord.
Clinical trials and research
Our neurologists, neurosurgeons and other doctors are also scientists on the front lines of groundbreaking research on childhood brain and spinal cord tumors, epilepsy and neuromuscular conditions. This gives our patients access to a network of clinical trials. Some are available only at Doernbecher, and others are part of research partnerships with other top U.S. children’s hospitals.