Volunteering at the Safety Center
We rely on our volunteers to make the Safety Center successful. You can advance your professional development by working with families.
- Counsel families about safety.
- Provide educational materials.
- Answer questions.
- Help parents buy safety supplies.
- Show families how to use safety devices.
- Help design safety displays and brochures.
Safety Center volunteers get:
- Free parking.
- TriMet tickets, or the OHSU shuttle from Portland State University for scheduled shifts.
- Discounts on services, products, travel, sports and tickets to cultural events and more.
Bilingual volunteers are strongly encouraged to apply.
Age: You must be at least 18.
Duties and skills:
- Communicate effectively with families, children and medical staff.
- Exhibit a strong work ethic and good organizational skills.
- Work independently and as part of a team.
- Learn safety and injury-prevention statistics, regulations and tips (training will be provided).
- Complete all required steps through OHSU Healthcare Volunteer Services, including application, interview, background check, tuberculosis test, immunizations and online training.
- Work one four-hour shift a week for six months, or two four-hour shifts a week for three months. Shifts are available 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays.
How to apply
Step one: Complete a volunteer application and list the Safety Center as your area of interest.
Step two: Email the Safety Center coordinator and ask her to look for your application.
Visit OHSU’s Volunteer page for more information.