Combining world-class ophthalmic research and patient care in a nurturing and respectful learning environment, Casey Eye Institute offers an outstanding residency program where talented young physicians can thrive.
Portland, Oregon, known for its natural beauty, high quality of life, and fun attitude at a lower cost of living than most coastal cities, provides the perfect backdrop for learning and living. A thoughtful curriculum built on a 70-year history of resident education guides each resident to excellence in independent patient care and surgery. We are looking for gifted individuals who will thrive here as residents and make us proud through their contributions beyond as colleagues.
Some of the highlights of the program include:
- Large resident surgical volume and dedicated microsurgical wet lab and surgery simulator experience
- A large faculty dedicated to resident teaching representing every subspecialty area including:
- Comprehensive Ophthalmology
- Cornea and External Diseases
- Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus
- Ocular Oncology
- Ocular Pathology
- Ophthalmic Genetics
- Advanced Imaging
- Low Vision
- Medical Contact Lens
- International Ophthalmology
- Hospital-based Ophthalmology
- 5th in the nation in NIH funding (2014 Blue Ridge Institute Ranking) with recognition for outstanding achievement in research (Friedenwald Award 2011, 2013, and Champalimaud Vision Award 2012)
- Nationally recognized for excellence in residency education
- Straatsma Award (2013)
- ACGME Program Coordinator Award (2014)
- Affiliated institutions (Veterans Administration, Devers Eye Institute) offering additional depth and variety of clinical experience and located within 5 miles from the institute.
- A comprehensive didactic curriculum spanning basic and clinical science, ethics, quality improvement, and practice management
- Excellent preparation for competitive fellowships with exceptional research opportunities
- International and local service opportunities with the support of the department and the faculty