Cancer Social Work Services
The OHSU Knight Cancer Institute provides specialty-trained social workers who can provide advocacy, education, resources and compassion to help you and your family cope with cancer.
Social workers make up an important part of your care team. They bring a broad understanding of cancer, cancer treatment, survivorship, community resources, palliative care, hospice care, grief and bereavement.
They are available at several locations and by phone. Services include:
- Supportive counseling
- Support to your caregivers and family
- Help with communication between you and your medical team
- Help adjusting to your diagnosis
- Mental health recommendations and referrals
- Information and referrals for community-based services
- Grief and loss support
- Help mediating family conflict
- Help with transportation and lodging or housing
- Help with navigating OHSU
- Referrals for services through the Knight Cancer Institute’s partnership with the American Cancer Society
- Help with advance directives and end-of-life issues
- Help with palliative care
- Information and referrals for financial and insurance concerns
Social workers are listed by the cancer type they specialize in or by location. If you don’t see the diagnosis you’re looking for, please call Caroline Macuiba at 503-418-9758.